Missing Key: MSMessagesExtensionStoreIconName

Archive validation presents me the following issue which I'm not entirely sure how to fix at the moment:

Missing Info.plist Key. Your app's Info.plist in 'Payload/X/Plugins/MessagesExtension.appex' must contain the 'MSMessagesExtensionStoreIconName' key.

I'm aware that this means that I need to create that record in the Info.plist belonging to MessagesExtension but I'm not sure where I messed up for this record not to have been created. Also, what's the value it is expecting me to provide?

Thanks very much for the insights here.

Answered by Documentation Engineer in 173092022

This is an error indicating that you haven't set an app icon for your iMessage app. We're aware that the error message is not very helpful and are going to be updating it to be more informative. You wouldn't set that key specifically, it'll be set automatically after you set an app icon in the asset catalog.

Accepted Answer

This is an error indicating that you haven't set an app icon for your iMessage app. We're aware that the error message is not very helpful and are going to be updating it to be more informative. You wouldn't set that key specifically, it'll be set automatically after you set an app icon in the asset catalog.

I've added the icons and linked the asset catalog in the General settings tab, but I'm not seeing that key get added to the Info.plist file. Is there something I'm doing wrong?

What kind of project is this? Is this a standalone sticker pack, or iMessage app? Or are you adding this as a target to an iOS app?

If you're able to attach the project (or a sample project structured in the same way that exhibits this) to a bug report we can dig into it further. The upshot is that you shouln't have to manually intervene on creating this key.

So it is not the icon display name?

I'm asking because I know I might have gone wrong somewhere, but I'm not so sure where.

I am trying to build an iMessage app, with just a few capabilities above a simple sticker pack. The app icons/iMessage icons are set (I've moved them in manually into the asset catalog) for both the actual /appName and the /MessagesExtension. As amotionuniverse mentions above, in the general settings tab, the asset catalog is set to Appicon/iMessage icon.

Thank you all. It's reassuring to receive these types of answers.

Edit: oh I am getting unassigned children warnings, but imo all the relevant icon images are set.

I don't know what value it specifically gets, and as I mentioned, you generally shoudln't have to worry about setting it. If you're not able to get ti to work, could you toss a sample project showing the issue into a bug report and post the bug number here?

so do i just put this on the info.plist and it should work fine ? "MSMessagesExtensionStoreIconName" what about the type and value ?

I created a simple new Sticker Pack and while I provided all the icons in the "iMessage App Icon", no MSMessagesExtensionStoreIconName key was created in the Info.plist.

Could somebody be kind to say what we are supposed to set in that key in order for it to work?

I tried setting a random string but got an error when submitting with Application Loader:

ERROR ITMS-90644: "Missing Image Asset. Your app is missing the Large App Icon asset 'Test Icon Name' in 'Payload/KitchenLab.app/PlugIns/Chef Subtraction Sticker Pack.appex'."

So apparently, it was because the large size icon that I set in XCode was 1025px wide instead of 1024px... You would bet it would tell you before uploading to iTunes Connect...

It was made using the template for iMessages icons on apple developper website, so that's surprising.

Yes this too happened with me. And the file had been generated by the template from Apple. So I suspect that there's a bug in the templat that generates the file named: icon-messages-app-iPadAir-512x384@2x.png as being 1025x768 instead of the 1024x768 that is expected.

Missing Key: MSMessagesExtensionStoreIconName

Q