Solutions for Better Battery Life on Beta 1 - Confirmed for Mult. Devices

Update: 6/21/2015 - 3:43 AM PST - Added third step that may resolve certain issues stemming from prior iOS backups restoring to iOS 9 Beta 1.

OK we've done our 24 hours of testing and can very safely conclude that all battery life issues accross three different devices included in the test have been entirely resolved and now the devices are not heating up, charging normally, and retaining a normal rate of discharge on standby. In additio, battery use reports within Settings confirm that the Homescreen no longer is consuming a substantial (more than 20%) portion of the average use of total battery power. (devices are normalizing data still, however to ensure none of you suffer this any further here are the necessary changes)

1. Completely disable iCloud Backups on each device running iOS 9 Beta 1 (Use iTunes to Backup and restore devices for now.)

2. Disable iCloud drive (if you enabled it) on each device running Beta 1

3. If you restored a backup from iOS 8.4, 8.3 or earlier after upgrading to 9.0 Beta 1 then you may wish to perform a reinstall of iOS 9.0. Simply do this by using the "update" versus restore function in iTunes. Do not restore any backups. (Assuming you did not reset all data and settings prior to doing the update then all your data will still be there.) - There were some devices in our lab that did behave differently regarding battery use and background operations. This had a positive effect, making all devices in the lab perform equally.

- Please bear in mind that the performance expectations on a 1st beta release should be minimal, however we were seeing iPads drain in a matter of a few hours on stand-by with some iPhone 6 Pluses doing the same while others did not. (Each had a slightly different variation of applications loaded, but all had the same iCloud account attached to them.)

There appears to be a SERIOUS problem with the API handling backups to iCloud or some sort of permissions issue with the data being written to iCloud. This likely went into effect during the update phase that indicated "iCloud data is being updated". (During the first Beta 1 load.)

This has confirmed to entirely resolve the "somewhat unpredictable" and extremely high rate of burn on the battery for this beta on iPhone 6, iPhone 6 Plus and iPadf Air 2. There is no reason to believe other affected devices will respond any differently to these changes, so we encourage other developers to try them asap. Apple should likely address this with the next update, when we can resume use of iCloud as normal during testing.

NOTE: iCloud data used by Third Party applications and other data like Calendar, Contacts and so on, does not appear to be causing any issues with battery usage, nor does there appear to be any data corruption. However do proceed with caution if you are using iCloud for your beta application development.

Replies

Thanks, I will try this! I had already disabled iCloud Drive and iCloud Backups on my iPhone 6 (which is the one having battery problems). I had not done the same on my iPad mini, since I didn't have problems there. They are now both off and I am really hoping this works!

Any idea if I should do something similar for the Apple Watch? I found no settings to disable iCloud backups or anything related to iCloud Drive.

So far so good with this on my iPhone 6!

Thanks for this!!

I did this the other day and my battery problems mostly went away. Not to say that battery life is good now; it just isn't so bad as to be unusable now.

Sad to say this doesnt work for me on the iPhone 6

Home & Lock Screen 76% for 7 minuets of use.

Funnily enough iPad Air has no problems what ever, I'm guessing its something to do with the phone side of things rather that the apps...

Back to 8.4 for my personal phone I guess

Much appreciated good sir!

These changes had no effect on battery life for me on an iPhone 6.

MarcWolf,

Please have a look at your application list and see how many are setup for background updates. Also, you may want to try doing a restore of iOS 9 Beta on top of your existing install. If backup is working with iTunes you can optionally wipe and restore as well.

Home at 76% is definitely not right. You very likely have some background data processes going on.

Another thing to consider is how many and what type of email accounts do you have loaded? (IMAP, Exchange, Gmail, Yahoo etc.)

Would you mind sharing that? Thanks!

Hi LSR,

Please see the above response to MarcWolf for some things to check. Could you also provide some stats about your iPhone 6? How much storage do you have total? What is your carrier? Are you on WiFi or Cellular most of the day?

Colleagues,

Thanks to all of you who sent in their thanks I am glad this was able to help some of you.

For those of you still having trouble it occured to me that there may be a few other factors at play. 1st, iCloud Photo Library. Is that turned on? Have all photos finished synching?

From now on it would be great if you could share the model of iPhone you are using including the storage size and the carrier you are operating it on. Any additonal details like WiFi availability and if you notice any difference in rate of drain from one vs the other.

Hold tight, Apple will hopefully have beta 2 out next week. (Keeping fingers crossed.)

This didn't work. Went to bed with 86% and woke up with 26%. Both options were turned off and even iCloud photo settings were off.

My device is an iPhone 6 on verizon

64GB, AT&T, on WiFi almost all the time. iCloud Photo sync is on, but is fully synced. Home and lock screen 63% for the last 24 Hours, 69% for the last 7 days.

This has resolved my battery life issue. An hour later I am 4% down, wheras before I would be 20% down

I will most certainly give this a try. I've been going crazy with all kinds of testing scenarios to try and figure it out.

One other thing that has really slowed down my battery usasge was leaving my phone face up. Apple had stated that they were working on battery savings and that if the phone was face down, it woudln't illumiate the Home Screen with alerts. When the phone is either in my pocket or face down, the battery consumption rate is between 8-30% per hour and it gets extreamly hot.

Thanks LSR,

The extremely high usage on home suggests one of two possibilites:

1. You are using WiFi syncing to iTunes and it is failing but running perpetually on the phone. (I have observed this on the devices from time to time in the beta.

2. iCloud photo syncing (either Photo Library or Photo Stream) is experiencing the same data / permissions issues as the backups. (This might manifest as a failure to update or add a specific image but the device continues to try. Or there is never a confirmation of a successful sync [corrupt sync db or some other anamoly].

I would recommend you try one more thing. Completely turn off iCloud Photo Sync on the phone. Reboot and continue testing.