When do you plan to get rid of the "Show Tab Bar" menu item?

The ****** Show Tab Bar menu item is automatically added to application that do not use NSDocument. This is defacing both the View menu and the application (since it will add a tab bar that is completely pointless if you choose the menu item).

From what I heard in the WWDC session, the tab bar was supposed to be only automatically displayed if you were using a NSDocument (which makes sense) and you would have to add code by yourself if you were not using NSDocument (which made sense too).

This is clearly not the case and now we are in the same situation as with the ***** translulence of the source list that defaced so many apps and is an opt-out instead of an opt-in.

The problem appeared in b2 and is still there in b3.

Replies

I have the same issue. Single window non-document app that is now showing a pointless "Show Tab Bar" in the View menu.

I reported this as a bug and was told the following

"We have determined that this is an issue for you to resolve. You need to opt-out with the API. This is harmless."

Which makes zero sense because it shouldn't even be shown for a non-document-based app. Sigh...

Does anyone have ideas on what this API might be?

I want my window to support tabs, I just want more control over where the "Show Tab Bar" menu shows up... right at the top of the view menu looks messy in my app.

I imagine that they are referring to the new class and instance properties in the 10.12 SDK:

allowsAutomaticWindowTabbing and tabbingMode

This very annoying UI issue is another disappointment after the translucent source list abomination in the previous OS release and which was also opt-out.

It's so harmless that in the GM, Installer macOS Sierra.app is impacted bythe issue with the log window.

It's so harmless that in the GM, Installer.app is impacted by the issue for the log window.

It looks like this got fixed after all. With 16A313a the "Show Tab Bar" menu is no longer there on my non-document-based app.

...but in some Sierra update it changed back again, so you do now need to opt out of this behaviour.