76 Replies
      Latest reply: Aug 28, 2017 9:04 AM by Saulr RSS
      i2_ Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

I installed Mac OS sierra yesterday night in my MacBook Air13" (4gb) I also use an external SSD (Samsung T3).

Today I could not do any task because of CPU and ram usages.

First, I thought this is because of new OS, but then I check activity monitor and saw kernel_task use around 50-70% percent of CPU.

I wonder, what it is and how I can fix this problem (I found some entries in the forum, but I am not sure this is the same problem or not).

Thank you.

• Re: MacOS Sierra / kernel_task problem
          angelfretz23 Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

I am having the same issue. Kernel_Task is running at 472% cpu. I do not have any issues with the RAM but everything seems to be laggy.

Ruud v Asperen Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

Have The same problem with thunderbolt when connected to 4K monitor (always) , owc thunderbolt docking... removing thunderbolt connecting and The kernel task is going back to normal behavior.  Apple MacBook Pro (late 2015) with i7.

grahamperrin Level 1 Level 1 (20 points)

MacBookPro8,2 with 4 GB memory. I found the process hogging the CPU in mid-July, maybe earlier.

In my case the hogging seems to be not immediately after boot. Now, for example, 16A286a has been up for one day, five hours and ten minutes and as usual, there's hogging.

Ruud v Asperen Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

Kernel_task is stil causing big problems with the latest version (16A313a).

Problems starting when:

1:     using two screens (external monitor/ internal lcd)

2.     using parallels

It makes no difference if the external or internal screen is turned off.

It seems Apple stil not pin point or resolved this issue. Because it very simple to trigger it... it must be easy to resolve this

Model Name: MacBook Pro

Model Identifier: MacBookPro11,5

Processor Name: Intel Core i7

Processor Speed: 2,8 GHz

Number of Processors: 1

Total Number of Cores: 4

L2 Cache (per Core): 256 KB

L3 Cache: 6 MB

Memory: 16 GB

Boot ROM Version: MBP114.0172.B09

SMC Version (system): 2.30f2

Serial Number (system): xxx

Hardware UUID: xxx

thinkV Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

I am also having this issue on a MPB retina mid 2012.

As soon as I plug in an external monitor via HDMI, within 10 minutes I begin to experience 600+% in kernel_task usage and I can barely use my computer.

trentsf Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

I've have a maxed out late 2013 MacBook Pro, 2.6GHz Core i7, 16GB of DDR3 RAM, 1TB SSD, NVIDIA GeForce GT 750M 2048 MB, Intel Iris Pro 1536 MB.

I also have a DELL P2415Q Display 24-inch (3840 x 2160) using Thunderbolt, speakers through the headphone jack, and use a USB to Thunderbolt to charge my phone.

I upgraded to macOS Sierra the day it came out, and had no issues until this morning. I unplugged my external display and speakers, and used my laptop for about 15 minutes off the battery, then returned to my desk and plugged my Thunderbolt display, and speakers back in, and my CPU shot up to 100% and never came back down. My Mac is essentially useless as kernel_task is eating all my CPU, and preventing any other application from grabbing CPU.

I've since done a hardware check - everything was fine, reset the NVRAM, and I attempted to clear the .plist files from IOPlatformPluginFamily.kext but I couldn't find it on my Mac (was trying to follow this guide, booted into Safe Mode and everything then went to try and find the file and my Mac just doesn't have it). When my external display is plugged in if I do anything CPU intensive (video calling, opening Chrome, etc) then my kernel_task goes crazy again, and the only way to get it drop is to unplug my display. Plugging my iPhone in to charge also spikes my kernel_task as well. I've been monitoring my internal temperatures, and nothing has been out of the ordinary, currently chilling at around 140°.

At this point, it seems that any time anything puts load on the system and increase internal temperatures of any internal component of my Mac the kernel_task maxes out my CPU bringing my Mac to its knees.

Any ideas how to remedy this? Is this just a major bug in 10.12?

karacho Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

This is the only thing that works for me to get rid of these kernel_task behavior. Make a backup of the file /System/Library/LaunchAgents/com.apple.mediaanalysisd.plist and store it at a safe place in case you need it to restore. Then delete the original file and reboot.

_eka_ Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

In my case seems to be the external monitor.

kernel_task was taking even 1000% CPU (dunno why if I have 8 cores) and even booting in safe mode. Then after reading this thread I disconnected the external monitor connected to mini display port and kernel_task went back to normal.

I hope they fix this soon, I'm going blind on my MBP monitor.

_eka_ Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

So, I found out that in my MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Late 2013) if I connect the external monitor to HDMI instead of Mini Display Port kernel_task works normal.

So far it goes up for 1.17hrs, crossed fingers, hopefully it will work till a new update.

pikelet Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

I think this issue is caused by active vs. passive MiniDisplay Port adapters. I swapped from the Apple DVI adapter which is passive to the Apple VGA adapter which is active (https://support.apple.com/en-nz/HT204149) and it resolved the issue (well, not resolved because using VGA is like shoving needles in my eyeballs).

Edit: Active Mini DisplayPort > DVI adapter fixed the issue for me. Back to normal CPU usage and a usable computer!

joenesy Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

I have the same issue, it happens when I connect my LG widescreen monitor (34UM95) via hdmi / displayport even in clamshell mode. It seems fine when I use my external dell monitor (1920x1080). This is killing my productivity. I'm running the first public release 10.12 (16A323), Macbook Pro Retina, Late 2013, full spec.

bnowroozi Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

I've been battling this problem too, Samsung widescreen via DP over TB2. So far the suggestion to close the laptop and use only external monitors has lowered GPU temps and I have not (yet) crashed. The problem is GPU related so I doubt it will go away without any bug squashing but the system is fragile and keeping temps lower do seem to reduce the instabillity....

dplaton Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

Hi everyone,

I have the same problem on the following setup:

1/ MBPro late 2013 / macOS sierra 10.12

2/ Thunderbolt display

3/ External Dell display.

After 10-15 minutes the kernel_task goes on a rampage and took ~500% CPU. Oddly enough, if I disconnect the T/bold the problem goes away.

The thing that (hopefully) fixed the problem was switching the laptop's display to be the main display (I was using the T/bold as the main display). I've been running for a few hours now and everything seems to be working fine.

Vicky Bidhuri Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

I am having a same issue in my MacBook Air early 2015 4gb.. Did your sort it ?

supermoos Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

I'm having the same problem on MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Mid 2015),

16 gb ram, 512 gb hd

AMD Radeon R9 M370X 2048 MB

Intel Iris Pro 1536 MB

MichaelErmer Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

I'm having exactly the same problem on my MacBook pro (Retina, 15-inch, Mid 2014),

OS Version: 10.12 (16A323)

When I plugin a second monitor using DP/DVI adapter (I tried multiple DP/DVI Adapters that worked before) after about 5-10 minutes kernel_task starts to eat up all CPU power until its unusable, heating up like crazy with 100% fan speed, if I plug out the monitor it returns to normal again.

Using an HDMI/DVI Adapter with the same monitor it works just fine.

I hope this is patched ASAP, I can only use one monitor in the time being.

What I already tried to resolve the issue:

- VRAM reset

- PRAM reset

- SMC reset

- http://blog.viktorpetersson.com/post/136535061619/how-to-fix-kerneltask-cpu-usage-on-el-capitan

MichaelErmer Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

Little update on my issue, this seems to have fixed it:

http://apple.stackexchange.com/a/164947/206764

zroomkar Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

I found a fix.....

1. Disable kext by renaming it  cd /System/Library/Extensions/IOPlatformPluginFamily.kext/Contents/Plugins sudo mv X86PlatformShim.kext X86PlatformShim.kext.disabled
                                            2. Clear kext cache (not sure if this is needed)  touch /System/Library/Extensions/
                                            3. Restart

After installing OSX updates you may need to repeat the above procedure if the updates have re-created the kext

topcoolgames19 Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

Hi Guys, Same issue here, macbook pro late 2013, macOS Sierra 10.12.1, after connecting 2 thunderbolt displays 27 inch, kernel task goes 500%. So, after reading to many posts, I finally got it. Just bought this, https://www.amazon.com/Performance-Tool-W50063-Garage-Blower/dp/B00FJ5LBOA/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1477681670&sr=8-1&keywords=sopladora and open the macbook pro with this https://www.amazon.com/Mudder-Pentalobe-Screwdriver-Macbook-Retina/dp/B01FTO97Z0/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1477682286&sr=8-2-spons&keywords=macbook+pro+screwdriver+kit&psc=1. Then toons of dust all over the fans, now they seem to be like new, kernel_task 3.5% cpu, 2 thunderbolt displays connected and working with the retina too, connected to power and pretty hot on the left side of the mac for sure, but fans are super quiet and everythings seems to be working as new.

Enjoy.

RocketSurgeon Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

Exactly the same problem here running 10.12.1 16B2555  on a Mid-2015 Retina Macbook Pro.

It becomes unusable with a secondary monitor.

Anyone found a solution that doesn't involve removing a (I'm assuming quite important) kext?

ylecourtois Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

Same problem for me on Sierra 10.12.1  => kernel

Nom du modèle : MacBook Pro

Identifiant du modèle : MacBookPro11,3

Nom du processeur : Intel Core i7

Vitesse du processeur : 2,3 GHz

Nombre de processeurs : 1

Nombre total de cœurs : 4

Cache de niveau 2 (par cœur) : 256 Ko

Cache de niveau 3 : 6 Mo

Mémoire : 16 Go

+

Belkin thunderbolt Dock and Viewsonic 4K monitor

(Sorry French user )

PID    COMMAND      %CPU TIME     #TH   #WQ  #PORT MEM    PURG   CMPRS  PGRP

55564  Terminal     20.5 00:08.61 13    8    230   24M+   0B     6580K- 55564

232    WindowServer 6.8  26:55.39 4     2    371-  134M   4096B  187M   232

131    hidd         4.2  03:06.73 7     3    233+  2224K+ 0B     3664K  131

0      kernel_task  3.8  52:41.34 155/8 0    14    9530M  0B     0B     0

58412  top          3.6  00:00.53 1/1   0    22    2568K+ 0B     0B     58412

52701- Microsoft Ou 1.7  01:53.29 19    1    357   75M    0B     41M    52701

320    java         1.2  05:16.90 553   1    1138  223M   0B     105M   94

57093  Google Chrom 0.6  00:52.73 17    1    149   205M+  0B     0B     56998

53030  com.apple.Am 0.4  00:02.17 4     2    64    500K   0B     1160K  53030

31261- Google Chrom 0.3  01:30.80 21    1    327   15M    0B     28M    31261

31293- Google Chrom 0.3  02:03.70 7     1    130   91M    0B     192M   31261

63-    hasplmd      0.2  00:23.94 7     0    37    3612K  0B     3864K  63

56998  Google Chrom 0.1  00:43.20 46    3    534   105M   28K    0B     56998

16537  netbiosd     0.1  00:14.91 5     5    35    736K   0B     4776K  16537

Saulr Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

hey everyone, I've finally pinned down that the secondary display was what was giving me the same problem. I thought it was the OWC Thunderbolt 2 dock, but it wasn't. It was the display attached to it. Now I'm hooked up to the display via direct HDMI and it gives me the same problem. The hub by itself doesn't give me a problem.

I want to share what might have fixed the problem for me:
                                                    I went to settings, and in energy saver I toggled automatic graphics switching to OFF. It worked, and my cpu load is close to idle. I turned it back again and it still doesn't spike. Maybe toggling that off and on triggers something?

Again, this worked for me, I hope it works for everyone else.

RocketSurgeon Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

It seems toggleing "Automatic graphics switching" does indeed reset something. When I toggle it the kernal_task process drops away almost immediately.

Interestingly when I moniter the raw temp values coming from the dedicated graphics there is no direct correlation between high temperatures and when the kernal_task begins to throttle the machine. It seems this is a bug.

tcgoetz Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

Model Name: MacBook Pro

Processor Speed: 2.5 GHz

with two external monitors. My fan is cranking all the time now. MacOS also disabled and then re-enables one of the my screen periodically. Like it's redetecting it. Worked fine with 10.11.

Very disappointed in 10.12. This and other problems like Mail.app crashing all the time.

showit360.de Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

For me it worked excluding the internal os x discs from spotlight.

I have a partition with os x & one with data, it worked to exclude these drives within the prefs of spotlight (privacy tab).

couellet Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

Same issue here when connected to ThunderBolt monitor

Model Identifier: MacBookPro11,5, (Retina, 15-inch, Mid 2015)

Processor Speed: 2.8 GHz

Boot ROM Version: MBP114.0172.B09

SMC Version (system): 2.30f2

Hope that Apple finds a solution rapidly...  This affects my work.  I have to unplug the monitor to be alble to work...

vhristev Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

Hello ,

Same issue with 2 attached monitors. Kernel_task is raising 400-500-1000% (system usage) causing system to be unusable.

I don't know how to re-produce it its random i can work all day on 2 monitors but sometimes it just cant have them for a 15 min. After disconnecting minidisply <> DVI connect everything is back to normal it tooks ~2-3 min to normalize.

OSX version: 10.12.1 (16B2555)

2 monitors  - U2412M  (HDMI and MiniDiplsay > thunder)

We all wait some apple feedback for that because kernel_task is PID 0 which is the actual parent of all processes you cannot kill it or do something with it.

I tried couple of traces but didnt catch anything which is a clue.

This is the only thing that works for me to get rid of these kernel_task behavior. Make a backup of the file /System/Library/LaunchAgents/com.apple.mediaanalysisd.plist and store it at a safe place in case you need it to restore. Then delete the original file and reboot.

mixailo Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

I've managed to solve the problem by removing a couple of Google Chrome extensions. It was not a random guess. I've figured out that kernel task is consuming reasources only when I'm running a number of Chrome processes. It happend only after i've tried the suggestions from this and other forums.

Macbook Pro 13", 2015, El Capitan

Scott1204 Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

Same problem here using a 2012 MacBook Pro Retina and 3 external Asus 1080p monitors (laptop closed). Kernal_task useage was skyrocketing to 400% or more and the system was crawling along. I also had problems booting the system with the monitors attached. Would constantly freeze unless I unplugged one, rebooted, then attached after the system logged in.

Solution was switching 2 of the monitors that were using Display Port-to-HDMI to Display Port-to-DVI (using adapters added to the HDMI and moving to the DVI connection on the monitor). The 3rd display connected via the Mac's HDMI output to the Asus HDMI input stayed the same.

Kernal_task plummetted to 4.0% and the system returned to normal. Booting was normal. Fan useage also dropped.

Curious why the DVI connection makes a difference.

sush111 Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

kernel_task is the main process of mac. Yosemite and El Capitan users had a problem with the kernel_task as it consumed a lot of memory. When I upgraded to Sierra  I noticed that this process task takes lesser memory in comparison to the aforementioned. Closing all the running applications and then rebooting Mac solved the problem for me.

Ripply Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

Mac mini 2012

Was using Mac Mini for things like Netflix.   Now, the kernel task has been consuming 500-600% CPU when I stream video on Netflix.    Tried Safari and Chrome browsers with Netflix streaming and the kernel_task in activity monitor spiked above 500% after initially working.    Quitting browsers respectgively brought kernel_task back down after a minute of so.     In short it's somehow related to how browsers are using memory, whether it's Netflix or Apple I dunno but the problem just started about a month ago.   At one point it seemed to just be the browser(s) being open but it was so spikey I'd have to spend more time to confirm it.

Haven't seen this issue pop up for other items.   

naderghanbari Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

I'm having the same problem. I've been using my MacBook Pro (mid 2014, 16GB) for heavy development almost everyday. It's really frustrating not to be able to solve this problem in a timely manner. I used to love the Mac OS and still prefer MacBook to other alternatives, but to be fair seems like Apple doesn't care that much about the users.

By the way, not only does the memory usage look suspicous to me, but also the virtual memory size, 72GB in my case  (although probably not being fully used or allocated) .

Also, how do we know this is not a malware of some sort? Any info or help would be appreciated.

pb14 Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

I just upgraded to Sierra 10.12.3, but I started having this same problem when I upgraded to Sierra.

I did everything that was suggested in this thread, but still the problem is there.

I have an asus PB278 connected to my macboox pro ( MacBook Pro (Retina, Mid 2012), 2.6 GHz Intel Core i7,16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3,NVIDIA GeForce GT 650M 1024 MB,Intel HD Graphics 4000 1536 MB )  via the mini display port. This works and doesn't have any problem at all, but when i plugged in my other monitor (24 in Dell), this is when i can reproduce the problem mentioned in this thread.

I tried that kext hack. nadah didn't solve it.

Tried turning on and off that automatic graphics swtiching in the energy saver, nope it didnt work.

I tried putting the main menu bar in the macbook screen and not in the external monitor.

Tried all the resets (Smc, pram etc).

For that dell monitor, I bought a vga to mini display port converter (apple), a dvi to mini display port converter(apple) and also a dvi to hdmi cable just to test and see if any of these will make a difference , but unfortunately, some minutes after i connect the monitor and start browsing in chrome, kernel_task will spiked up and will leave your mac unuseable. Also, i noticed even if you dont use Chrome and the kernel_task/fans won't spike up , when you scroll, there seems to be a lag and the experience is not enjoyable. The solution is always to remove that extra monitor (unplugged the Dell, whether it is connected inthe mini dp or hdmi port and the Asus one remains ) and everything will turn back to normal.

This seems to be a common experience for people who are connecting an extra external display to their macbook nd yet apple is all quiet about it?

Anyone who has figure out this problem?

msolapenna Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

Same happens with me. It is clearly a matter of an external display. It always happens when an external display is attached. I talked to apple today by they simply ignore that it happens. They suggest that it was a problem with my hardware. But, it is a hardware problem that only happens with Siera!

itaki Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

Same issue here. It's almost impossible to type this message.

2011 Macbook Air.

Come on Apple. What the ****? Are you diliberately trying to slow my computer so that I feel the need to buy a new slick Mac? Because that's exactly what it feels like you are doing.

misanthropic789 Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

FYI, this is not unique to laptops or to sierra - I've been fighting this for several versions.

MacMini mid-2011 running dual monitors, 1 mini-display to VGA, one HDMI to VGA

I also run Chrome, so if the person who thinks that getting rid of some extensions would like to share what extensions they nuked so I can make sure I don't have those, I would appreciate it.  I haven't yet been able to tease apart cause and effect between chrome helpers and kernel_task.

Atlas3686 Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

Having the same issue. Seems it's the external monitor issue everyone is having. Having 2 monitors plugged in (1 HDMI to thunderbolt and 1 HDMI or 2 HDMI to thunderbolts) causes the issue. Serious problem and we need a fix, anyone downgraded to el capitan? Can't seem to find an easy way to do that.... thanks again Apple...

Arkid074 Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

I thought upgrading to Sierra would fix my problem.

I did, however, had some succes with the "graphics switching" fix.  (Settings > Energy Saver > untick Automatic Graphics Switching).

I unplugged the external monitor (Dell), switched off the automatic graphics switching, let kernel_task ease out and then connected the monitor again.

Everything seems okay now..but for how long? I don't know.

It's worth a shot I guess.

jdough Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

After two weeks of Sierra, I downgraded to El Capitan.  I lost 2 weeks worth of Messages on my laptop but I can live with that (and couldn't restore them because Messages changed its DB format with Sierra).

I haven't looked back.  I also had a weird Print Preview problem where things would take 5 minutes.  Given these two problems, I'm not upgrading to Sierra or any other OS until Apple stops supporting El Capitan with security updates.  There's nothing in Sierra I need.

dvyio Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

I'm also having this problem on my first generation (2012) Retina MacBook Pro running macOS Sierra 10.12.3, with one external monitor connected via HDMI.

I thought at first I was imagining that it was the external display causing a problem, but as soon as I unplug it everything goes back to normal.

fernandomr88 Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

The same is happening to me. Sometimes I use my second display for a whole day without a problem and sometimes it happens within minutes. My kernel CPU Usage goes up to 500%. This has been happening since I upgraded to Sierra, then no fix until now.

I'm running a Macbook pro retina 15" late 2013.

Maybe this has something to do with Geforce Drivers? dunno.

Still APPLE HAS TO SAY SOMETHING ABOUT THIS!!!!

moppel33 Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

I've got the same problem with my MacBook Pro and 2 external monitor (1 with HDMI and 1 via "mini display port to DVI"-Adpater). First I thought Logic Pro X was the reason (in most cases the problem arises after quitting Logic) but now I have the problem when doing not so CPU intensive things like surfing with Safari etc.  - I did not find any remedy but I will try some of your recommendations and report if I have success.

Ihnen42 Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

The kernel_task consuming the CPU seems to be a feature of MacOS, to manage/lower the temperature of the CPU. The idea is, the kernel_task is blocking the CPU for other processes to lower the power consumption of the CPU and reduce the temperature by this.

See: http://apple.stackexchange.com/questions/193947/cpu-usage-is-too-high-with-yosemite-and-an-external-monitor

It would fit to some occasions when seen:

- Only with External Monitors

- Certain monitor adapters having an effect

- When charging the MacBook

- When system runs virtual machines

This still begs the question, why are so many experiencing high temperatures after an update?

Until then cooling has helped me.

john daniel Level 2 Level 2 (55 points)

Hello Ihnen42,

Are you sure that is true? Support documents usually don't have that level of detail. The support document referenced in that document no longer has that content. It does appear in the Wayback Machine. Was it not correct? Too detailed? Is there some other reference for this behaviour?

john daniel Level 2 Level 2 (55 points)

Found it! Apple moved the content into its own document: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT207359

jdough Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

Interesting that Apple would do this on purpose.  What a ghetto solution to protecting the CPU from melting...

marianco Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

It looks like kernel_task is Apple's feature to keep the CPU from being destroyed due to high temperature - slowing down the entire Mac in the process.

The probably best solution is to improve cooling of the Mac.

It makes sense now that this kernel_task problem is only occurring for me around 4 PM after 8 hours of work, with my MacBook Pro (15 inch Retina Late 2013) connected to 3 external monitors. The Mac is overheating and kernel_task is slowing everything down to crawing in mud.  My Mac was getting overheated by the work, and the ambient temperature also was around its hottest.

1. REMOVE DUST: Using a blower to clear out the dust from the MacBook's rear fans helped a lot to silence the fans, improve temperature control.

2. COOLING PAD: Getting a better cooling pad under the MacBook and removing the bottom case to allow better contact with the cooling pad also helped prevent the kernel_task slowdown.

3. RAISE THE REAR: Raising the rear of the MacBook so air circulation could improve within the Macbook is also helpful.

marianco Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

The biggest problem I have with the kernel_task - now that is doesn't slow down my MacBook - is that it runs in the background and takes up 2+ GB of RAM. In the past 24 hours, it has also written 2 TB of data.

Since MacBooks are memory constrained - having 16 GB of RAM maximum, the kernel_task forces the use of swap memory.  In the past 24 hours, I have had over 350 million page-ins from swap memory.

kernel_task is a memory hog and it wears down the SSD.

I'd like to find out how to reduce its memory use and disk use.

khaidir77 Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

is this normal??

EtreCheck version: 3.1.5 (343)
                                                                                                            Report generated 2017-03-04 00:02:41
                                                                                                            Download EtreCheck from https:/ Runtime 1:52
                                                                                                            Performance: Excellent

Click the [Support] links for help with non-Apple products. Click the [Details] links for more information about that line.

Problem: Computer is too slow

Hardware Information: i
                                                                                                            MacBook Pro (13-inch, Mid 2012)
                                                                                                            [Technical Specifications] - [User Guide] - [Warranty & Service] MacBook Pro - model: MacBookPro9,2
                                                                                                            1 2.9 GHz Intel Core i7 (i7-3520M) CPU: 2-core
                                                                                                            16 GB RAM Upgradeable - [Instructions]

BANK 0/DIMM0
                                                                                                            8 GB DDR3 1600 MHz ok

BANK 1/DIMM0
                                                                                                            8 GB DDR3 1600 MHz ok

Bluetooth: Good - Handoff/Airdrop2 supported Wireless: en1: 802.11 a/b/g/n
                                                                                                            Battery: Health = Normal - Cycle count = 676

Video Information: i Intel HD Graphics 4000

Color LCD 1280 x 800

System Software: i
                                                                                                            macOS Sierra 10.12.4 (16E175b) - Time since boot: less than an hour

Disk Information: i
                                                                                                            Samsung SSD 850 PRO 1TB disk0 : (1.02 TB) (Solid State - TRIM: Yes) [Show SMART report]

EFI (disk0s1) <not mounted> : 210 MB
                                                                                                            MAC SSD (disk0s2) / [Startup]: 1.02 TB (396.86 GB free) Recovery HD (disk0s3) <not mounted> [Recovery]: 650 MB

ST2000LX001-1RG174 disk1 : (2 TB) (Rotational)

[Show SMART report]

EFI (disk1s1) <not mounted> : 210 MB
                                                                                                            MAC SSHD2TB (disk1s2) /Volumes/MAC SSHD2TB : 2.00 TB (818.75 GB free)

USB Information: i

Apple Inc. FaceTime HD Camera (Built-in) Apple Inc. Apple Internal Keyboard / Trackpad Apple Computer, Inc. IR Receiver
                                                                                                            Apple Inc. BRCM20702 Hub

Apple Inc. Bluetooth USB Host Controller

Thunderbolt Information: i Apple Inc. thunderbolt_bus

Gatekeeper: i
                                                                                                            Mac App Store and identified developers

Kernel Extensions: i /Applications/DiskWarrior.app

[not loaded] com.alsoft.Preview (5.0 - SDK 10.5 - 2014-12-18) [Support] /Library/Extensions

[not loaded] [not loaded]

[not loaded]

[not loaded]

[Support]

[not loaded]

[Support]

[not loaded]

[Support]

[not loaded] [not loaded] [not loaded]

com.caiaq.driver.NIUSBAudio2DJDriver (2.8.0 (R36) - SDK 10.9 - 2017-03-02) [ com.caiaq.driver.NIUSBAudio4DJDriver (2.8.0 (R36) - SDK 10.9 - 2017-03-02) [ com.caiaq.driver.NIUSBHardwareDriver (2.8.0 (R36) - SDK 10.9 - 2017-03-02) [ com.caiaq.driver.NIUSBTraktorAudio2Driver (2.8.0 (R36) - SDK 10.9 - 2017-03-0

com.caiaq.driver.NIUSBTraktorKontrolS4Driver (2.8.0 (R36) - SDK 10.9 - 2017-0 com.caiaq.driver.NIUSBTraktorKontrolX1Driver (2.8.0 (R36) - SDK 10.9 - 2017-0

com.pioneerdj.driver.DJM-900NXS2Audio (2.0.1 - SDK 10.10 - 2017-03-02) [Su jp.co.pioneer.driver.DJM-850Audio (1.1.0 - SDK 10.10 - 2017-03-02) [Support] jp.co.pioneer.driver.DJM-900nexusAudio (1.4.0 - SDK 10.10 - 2017-03-02) [Sup

System Launch Agents: i [not loaded] 6 Apple tasks [loaded] 179 Apple tasks [running] 97 Apple tasks

System Launch Daemons: i [not loaded] 43 Apple tasks [loaded] 174 Apple tasks [running] 100 Apple tasks

Launch Daemons: i
                                                                                                            [loaded] com.adobe.fpsaud.plist (2017-01-31) [Support] [loaded] com.bombich.ccchelper.plist (2017-01-15) [Support]

S S S

3

3

p p

[not loaded] com.crashplan.engine.plist (2017-03-02) [Support]

[loaded] [loaded] [loaded] [loaded]

com.malwarebytes.HelperTool.plist (2017-02-17) [Support] com.microsoft.autoupdate.helper.plist (2017-01-14) [Support] com.microsoft.office.licensingV2.helper.plist (2015-08-15) [Support] com.native-instruments.NativeAccess.Helper.plist (2016-11-28) [Support]

User Launch Agents: i
                                                                                                            [loaded] com.google.keystone.agent.plist (2017-01-14) [Support]

User Login Items: i
                                                                                                            Macs Fan Control Application

(/Applications/Macs Fan Control.app)

Internet Plug-ins: i
                                                                                                            Silverlight: 5.1.41212.0 - SDK 10.6 (2016-09-18) [Support]

FlashPlayer-10.6: 24.0.0.221 - SDK 10.9 (2017-02-14) [Support] QuickTime Plugin: 7.7.3 (2017-03-02)
                                                                                                            Flash Player: 24.0.0.221 - SDK 10.9 (2017-02-14) [Support]

Safari Extensions: i chumsearch - me (2017-02-28)

3rd Party Preference Panes: i
                                                                                                            Flash Player (2017-01-31) [Support]
                                                                                                            Native Instruments USB Audio (2016-10-12) [Support]

Time Machine: i
                                                                                                            Time Machine not configured!

Top Processes by CPU: i
                                                                                                            45% com.apple.WebKit.WebContent(13) 18% mdworker(17)
                                                                                                            15% WindowServer
                                                                                                            12% com.apple.WebKit.Networking
                                                                                                            12% Safari

Top Processes by Memory: i

3.62 GB

1.35 GB 754 MB 672 MB 623 MB

com.apple.WebKit.WebContent(16)

kernel_task
                                                                                                            Franz Helper(5) mdworker(17) MTLCompilerService(20)

Virtual Memory Information: i

3.53 GB 43 MB 12.47 GB 3.49 GB 132 MB

Available RAM Free RAM Used RAM Cached files Swap Used

Diagnostics Information: i Mar 3, 2017, 11:40:37 PM

/Library/Logs/DiagnosticReports/ rekordbox_2017-03-03-234037_[redacted].cpu_resource.diag [Details]

/Applications/rekordbox 4/rekordbox.app/Contents/MacOS/rekordbox Mar 3, 2017, 11:32:28 PM /Library/Logs/DiagnosticReports/

rekordbox_2017-03-03-233228_[redacted].cpu_resource.diag [Details] Mar 3, 2017, 11:31:12 PM ~/Library/Logs/DiagnosticReports/

Franz_2017-03-03-233112_[redacted].crash
                                                                                                            io.adlk.franz - /Applications/Franz.app/Contents/MacOS/Franz

Mar 3, 2017, 11:29:21 PM Self test - passed

Mar 2, 2017, 06:48:57 PM /Library/Logs/DiagnosticReports/ mds_stores_2017-03-02-184857_[redacted].cpu_resource.diag [Details]

/System/Library/Frameworks/CoreServices.framework/Versions/A/Frameworks/Metadata.fra Versions/A/Support/mds_stores

Mar 2, 2017, 06:41:50 PM /Library/Logs/DiagnosticReports/DiskWarrior Recovery Maker_2017-03-02-184150_[redacted].hang

/Volumes//DiskWarrior Recovery Maker.app/Contents/MacOS/DiskWarrior Recovery Maker Mar 2, 2017, 06:40:52 PM /Library/Logs/DiagnosticReports/DiskWarrior Recovery

Maker_2017-03-02-184052_[redacted].hang
                                                                                                            /Volumes/VOLUME//DiskWarrior Recovery Maker.app/Contents/MacOS/DiskWarrior Recov

Mar 2, 2017, 06:38:41 PM /Library/Logs/DiagnosticReports/DiskWarrior Recovery Maker_2017-03-02-183841_[redacted].hang

Mar 2, 2017, 05:05:12 AM ~/Library/Logs/DiagnosticReports/ Franz_2017-03-02-050512_[redacted].crash

Mar 2, 2017, 01:38:18 AM ~/Library/Logs/DiagnosticReports/ KeychainSyncingOverIDSProxy_2017-03-02-013818_[redacted].crash

/System/Library/Frameworks/Security.framework/Versions/A/Resources/ KeychainSyncingOverIDSProxy.bundle/Contents/MacOS/KeychainSyncingOverIDSProxy

Mar 1, 2017, 06:33:10 PM ~/Library/Logs/DiagnosticReports/ Franz_2017-03-01-183310_[redacted].crash

Mar 1, 2017, 06:02:27 PM /Library/Logs/DiagnosticReports/ Traktor_2017-03-01-180227_[redacted].cpu_resource.diag [Details]

/Applications/Native Instruments//Traktor.app/Contents/MacOS/Traktor Mar 1, 2017, 08:43:52 AM ~/Library/Logs/DiagnosticReports/

Franz_2017-03-01-084352_[redacted].crash
                                                                                                            Mar 1, 2017, 12:38:15 AM ~/Library/Logs/DiagnosticReports/

Franz_2017-03-01-003815_[redacted].crash

Files deleted by EtreCheck: i
                                                                                                            Mar 2, 2017, 06:09:33 AM - ~/Library/LaunchAgents/com.HotShoppy.agent.plist

m

e

Mar 2, 2017, 06:09:33 AM - ~/Library/LaunchAgents/com.MacUpdater.agent.plist Mar 2, 2017, 06:09:33 AM - ~/Library/LaunchAgents/com.bittorrent.uTorrent.plist

khaidir77 Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

mine crashed few times..rebooting 2 times after updated new Sierra update..etrecheck report:

Anonymous UUID:       E708CF14-94A0-4E97-194E-708ED1C5ADA6

Wed Mar 15 11:28:10 2017

*** Panic Report ***

panic(cpu 0 caller 0xffffff800fde7a5a): "Possible memory corruption: pmap_pv_remove(0xffffff802fdf4e80,0x7fdae5d07000,0x40b796): " "empty hash, removing rooted"@/Library/Caches/com.apple.xbs/Sources/xnu/xnu-3789.51.2/osfmk/i386/pmap_internal.h:818

Backtrace (CPU 0), Frame : Return Address

0xffffff91f9ab3af0 : 0xffffff800fcec3ec

0xffffff91f9ab3b70 : 0xffffff800fde7a5a

0xffffff91f9ab3c90 : 0xffffff800fde883a

0xffffff91f9ab3d00 : 0xffffff800fd750a8

0xffffff91f9ab3e40 : 0xffffff800fd749ac

0xffffff91f9ab3e70 : 0xffffff800fd151ee

0xffffff91f9ab3eb0 : 0xffffff801016cb50

0xffffff91f9ab3f20 : 0xffffff801016c8e3

0xffffff91f9ab3f40 : 0xffffff801016c8ae

0xffffff91f9ab3f50 : 0xffffff8010225695

0xffffff91f9ab3fb0 : 0xffffff800fc9dd46

BSD process name corresponding to current thread: CVMCompiler

Mac OS version:

16E189a

Kernel version:

Darwin Kernel Version 16.5.0: Fri Mar  3 16:45:33 PST 2017; root:xnu-3789.51.2~1/RELEASE_X86_64

Kernel UUID: AEFF6976-C5A2-32AD-AD8D-70EEC127308C

Kernel slide:     0x000000000fa00000

Kernel text base: 0xffffff800fc00000

__HIB  text base: 0xffffff800fb00000

System model name: MacBookPro9,2 (Mac-6F01561E16C75D06)

System uptime in nanoseconds: 27865827529

last loaded kext at 6626897172: com.apple.filesystems.autofs 3.0 (addr 0xffffff7f9226b000, size 45056)

loaded kexts:

com.globaldelight.driver.Boom2Device 1.1

com.apple.filesystems.autofs 3.0

com.apple.driver.X86PlatformShim 1.0.0

com.apple.driver.AGPM 110.23.17

com.apple.driver.ApplePlatformEnabler 2.7.0d0

com.apple.driver.AppleMikeyHIDDriver 131

com.apple.driver.AudioAUUC 1.70

com.apple.driver.AppleThunderboltIP 3.0.8

com.apple.driver.AppleHDAHardwareConfigDriver 279.48

com.apple.driver.pmtelemetry 1

com.apple.iokit.IOUserEthernet 1.0.1

com.apple.iokit.IOBluetoothSerialManager 5.0.4f18

com.apple.driver.AppleFIVRDriver 4.1.0

com.apple.driver.AppleHDA 279.48

com.apple.driver.AppleUpstreamUserClient 3.6.4

com.apple.driver.AppleMikeyDriver 279.48

com.apple.Dont_Steal_Mac_OS_X 7.0.0

com.apple.driver.AppleHV 1

com.apple.driver.AppleGraphicsDevicePolicy 3.14.41

com.apple.driver.AppleOSXWatchdog 1

com.apple.driver.ACPI_SMC_PlatformPlugin 1.0.0

com.apple.driver.AppleSMCPDRC 1.0.0

com.apple.driver.AppleIntelSlowAdaptiveClocking 4.0.0

com.apple.driver.AppleBacklight 170.9.14

com.apple.driver.AppleMCCSControl 1.3.1

com.apple.driver.AppleSMCLMU 208

com.apple.driver.AppleMuxControl 3.14.41

com.apple.driver.AppleLPC 3.1

com.apple.driver.AppleIntelHD4000Graphics 10.2.4

com.apple.driver.AppleIntelFramebufferCapri 10.2.4

com.apple.driver.SMCMotionSensor 3.0.4d1

com.apple.iokit.IOBluetoothUSBDFU 5.0.4f18

com.apple.driver.AppleUSBTCKeyEventDriver 252

com.apple.driver.AppleUSBTCButtons 252

com.apple.driver.AppleUSBTCKeyboard 252

com.apple.driver.AppleIRController 341.2

com.apple.driver.AppleFileSystemDriver 3.0.1

com.apple.AppleFSCompression.AppleFSCompressionTypeDataless 1.0.0d1

com.apple.AppleFSCompression.AppleFSCompressionTypeZlib 1.0.0

com.apple.BootCache 40

com.apple.filesystems.hfs.kext 366.50.19

com.apple.iokit.IOAHCIBlockStorage 295.20.1

com.apple.driver.AirPort.Brcm4331 800.20.24

com.apple.iokit.AppleBCM5701Ethernet 10.2.9

com.apple.driver.AppleSDXC 1.7.6

com.apple.driver.AirPort.Brcm4360 1150.9.1a2

com.apple.driver.AppleFWOHCI 5.5.5

com.apple.driver.AppleAHCIPort 326

com.apple.driver.AppleSmartBatteryManager 161.0.0

com.apple.driver.AppleHPET 1.8

com.apple.driver.AppleACPIButtons 5.0

com.apple.driver.AppleRTC 2.0

com.apple.driver.AppleSMBIOS 2.1

com.apple.driver.AppleACPIEC 5.0

com.apple.driver.AppleAPIC 1.7

com.apple.driver.AppleIntelCPUPowerManagementClient 219.0.0

com.apple.nke.applicationfirewall 172

com.apple.security.quarantine 3

com.apple.security.TMSafetyNet 8

com.apple.driver.AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement 219.0.0

com.apple.kext.triggers 1.0

com.apple.iokit.IOSerialFamily 11

com.apple.driver.DspFuncLib 279.48

com.apple.kext.OSvKernDSPLib 525

com.apple.driver.AppleSSE 1.0

com.apple.driver.IOPlatformPluginLegacy 1.0.0

com.apple.iokit.IOSlowAdaptiveClockingFamily 1.0.0

com.apple.driver.AppleThunderboltEDMSink 4.1.1

com.apple.driver.AppleThunderboltDPOutAdapter 5.0.2

com.apple.driver.AppleSMBusController 1.0.18d1

com.apple.iokit.IOFireWireIP 2.2.7

com.apple.driver.AppleBacklightExpert 1.1.0

com.apple.driver.AppleGraphicsControl 3.14.41

com.apple.driver.X86PlatformPlugin 1.0.0

com.apple.driver.AppleSMBusPCI 1.0.14d1

com.apple.driver.IOPlatformPluginFamily 6.0.0d8

com.apple.driver.AppleHDAController 279.48

com.apple.iokit.IOHDAFamily 279.48

com.apple.iokit.IOAudioFamily 205.15

com.apple.vecLib.kext 1.2.0

com.apple.iokit.IOSurface 159.6

com.apple.iokit.IONDRVSupport 514.9

com.apple.iokit.IOAcceleratorFamily2 311.11

com.apple.AppleGraphicsDeviceControl 3.14.41

com.apple.iokit.IOGraphicsFamily 514.9

com.apple.driver.AppleSMC 3.1.9

com.apple.iokit.IOSCSIArchitectureModelFamily 394.50.1

com.apple.iokit.BroadcomBluetoothHostControllerUSBTransport 5.0.4f18

com.apple.iokit.IOBluetoothHostControllerUSBTransport 5.0.4f18

com.apple.iokit.IOBluetoothHostControllerTransport 5.0.4f18

com.apple.iokit.IOBluetoothFamily 5.0.4f18

com.apple.driver.AppleUSBMultitouch 258

com.apple.driver.usb.IOUSBHostHIDDevice 1.1

com.apple.driver.usb.cdc 5.0.0

com.apple.driver.usb.networking 5.0.0

com.apple.driver.usb.AppleUSBHostCompositeDevice 1.1

com.apple.driver.usb.AppleUSBHub 1.1

com.apple.filesystems.hfs.encodings.kext 1

com.apple.driver.AppleThunderboltDPInAdapter 5.0.2

com.apple.driver.AppleThunderboltDPAdapterFamily 5.0.2

com.apple.driver.AppleThunderboltPCIDownAdapter 2.1.2

com.apple.driver.AppleXsanScheme 3

com.apple.driver.AppleThunderboltNHI 4.5.3

com.apple.iokit.IOThunderboltFamily 6.5.6

com.apple.iokit.IOEthernetAVBController 1.0.3b4

com.apple.iokit.IO80211Family 1200.12.2

com.apple.driver.mDNSOffloadUserClient 1.0.1b8

com.apple.iokit.IONetworkingFamily 3.2

com.apple.driver.corecapture 1.0.4

com.apple.driver.AppleUSBMergeNub 900.4.1

com.apple.iokit.IOFireWireFamily 4.6.6

com.apple.driver.usb.AppleUSBEHCIPCI 1.1

com.apple.driver.usb.AppleUSBEHCI 1.1

com.apple.iokit.IOAHCIFamily 288

com.apple.driver.usb.AppleUSBXHCIPCI 1.1

com.apple.driver.usb.AppleUSBXHCI 1.1

com.apple.driver.usb.AppleUSBHostPacketFilter 1.0

com.apple.iokit.IOUSBFamily 900.4.1

com.apple.driver.AppleEFINVRAM 2.1

com.apple.driver.AppleUSBHostMergeProperties 1.1

com.apple.driver.AppleEFIRuntime 2.0

com.apple.iokit.IOHIDFamily 2.0.0

com.apple.iokit.IOSMBusFamily 1.1

com.apple.security.sandbox 300.0

com.apple.kext.AppleMatch 1.0.0d1

com.apple.driver.AppleKeyStore 2

com.apple.driver.AppleMobileFileIntegrity 1.0.5

com.apple.driver.AppleCredentialManager 1.0

com.apple.driver.KernelRelayHost 1

com.apple.iokit.IOUSBHostFamily 1.1

com.apple.driver.AppleBusPowerController 1.0

com.apple.driver.DiskImages 444.50.16

com.apple.iokit.IOStorageFamily 2.1

com.apple.iokit.IOReportFamily 31

com.apple.driver.AppleFDEKeyStore 28.30

com.apple.driver.AppleACPIPlatform 5.0

com.apple.iokit.IOPCIFamily 2.9

com.apple.iokit.IOACPIFamily 1.4

com.apple.kec.pthread 1

com.apple.kec.corecrypto 1.0

com.apple.kec.Libm 1

System Profile:

AirPort: spairport_wireless_card_type_airport_extreme (0x14E4, 0xF5), Broadcom BCM43xx 1.0 (7.21.171.124.1a2)

Bluetooth: Version 5.0.4f18, 3 services, 17 devices, 1 incoming serial ports

Thunderbolt Bus: MacBook Pro, Apple Inc., 25.1

Memory Module: BANK 0/DIMM0, 8 GB, DDR3, 1867 MHz, 0x80CE, 0x4D34373142314737334248302D594D412020

Memory Module: BANK 1/DIMM0, 8 GB, DDR3, 1867 MHz, 0x80CE, 0x4D34373142314737334248302D594D412020

USB Device: USB 2.0 Bus

USB Device: Hub

USB Device: FaceTime HD Camera (Built-in)

USB Device: USB 2.0 Bus

USB Device: Apple Internal Keyboard / Trackpad

USB Device: IR Receiver

USB Device: BRCM20702 Hub

USB Device: Bluetooth USB Host Controller

USB Device: USB 3.0 Bus

Serial ATA Device: Samsung SSD 850 PRO 1TB, 1.02 TB

Serial ATA Device: ST2000LX001-1RG174, 2 TB

Model: MacBookPro9,2, BootROM MBP91.00D3.B15, 2 processors, Intel Core i7, 2.9 GHz, 16 GB, SMC 2.2f44

Network Service: Wi-Fi, AirPort, en1

Graphics: Intel HD Graphics 4000, Intel HD Graphics 4000, Built-In

is it normal??

laziani Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

If you have this problem with the 34" external monitor, you can try to close the Macbook Screen, use only external monitor. It works for me.

llbj99 Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

It seems like you have the same problem that I had, which was that the mouse cursor was extremely delayed and the ui in general was really laggy. NOTE: If you are on MacOS El Captain or later, you need to boot into recovery mode before doing any of these steps, then go to the terminal in the recovery mode and type in: csrutil disable; reboot

When your computer finishes booting into the OS,login and use Shift + Command + G, you'll get the go to menu, and you should type: /System/Library/Extensions/IOPlatformPluginFamily.kext/Contents/PlugIns/ACPI_SMC_PlatformPlugin.kext/Contents/Resources Once you've done that, take a second to go to About this Mac, then click system report, and take note of what your model identifier is. Now, in the finder window you just opened, you'll want to look for the .plist file that matches the model identifier name (My model identifier was MacBookPro8,1, so in my case the .plist I was looking for was MacBookPro8_1.plist) then copy that .plist file somewhere where you'll be able to find it again, such as Documents or a folder on your desktop. Once you've copied it, you want to trash the one in the finder window, then reboot your computer and it should be silky smooth Optional: To re-enable the csrutil, go back into recovery mode, then terminal, and type: csrutil enable; reboot

fragmentsofsleep Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

External monitor was also bringing my kernel_task up to 500%.

So far I've had luck with the "graphics switching" fix.

Unplugged my external monitor, then (Settings > Energy Saver > uncheck Automatic Graphics Switching). Plugged monitor back in and things are okay so far - knock wood.

macbikegeek Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

Having the same problem periodically since moving to Mac OS Sierra Beta 10.12.6. I do have a second monitor plugged in via Display Port adapter.

27 inch 5K Retina iMac late 2014

RossMan Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

I have done a lot of investigation on this issue, and the only thing I found that worked was a) killing my Chrome helpers often and mercilessly, and b) turning off the Automatic Graphics Switching.

Here is an article about the script that I adapted from someone else that kills those Chrome helpers.

https://bigskytechguy.com/2017/05/30/is-chrome-on-mac-trashing-your-systems-resources/

vlaxmax Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)
                                                                                                                            IMRANtv Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

I bought the brand new 2017 top of the line maxed out MacBook Pro. Safely migrated from my previous MBP. Had it running fine for days.

It was running normal through the night, actually sitting idle as I had NO apps running. So when I sat down to use it, I just figured, why not reboot it. I did. And all **** broke lose even though NO apps were running, no crashes took place, no peripherals were changed.

First, the MacBook Pro (latest macOS Sierra) got stuck in rebooting literally halfway on the progress bar, at the stage before the screen changes brightness and the touchbar comes to life. High fan RPM could be heard. I did not do anything and let it run for 30 minutes in case it was doing some housecleaning on the 2TB SSD. Nope. Nothing changed.

So I had to press the power button and shut it down. I unplugged my USB-C hubs and devices. I rebooted in Safe Mode. Yet the high CPU (an unbelieavable 3570% .,.. wow... the 4 cores must have reproduced and made an extended family overnight!)... I could barely get Activity Monitor to launch in that stage.

Finally, it is On, running, with only Safari (to type this post) Console running, but the fans have not stopped running high speed since reboot. This is truly a weird experience to have a 100% (or make that a $50000%) normal reboot turn into a nightmare. I will try NVRAM and SMC resets next. But I welcome any suggestions.

IMRAN

virtualinvasion Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

Posting here for anyone still experiencing this issue. I tried everything I read in all the forums to solve this problem of kernel_task running high (most noticiably when connecting a 4k thunderbolt monitor).

I finally ordered a P5 Pentalobe screwdriver and a can of compressed air from Amazon and cleaned out all the dust. Surprisingly that did the trick! I have only had the retina macbook pro for 2 years or so, and was surprised at all the gunk that acculumulated inside. Everything working like new now, no more kernel_task freak-outs.

Good luck!

Good Luck

MoBenZ Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

A word of warning to those who are experiencing this issue and followed the instructions to change the .kext and .plist files.

I did both of those changes, it did not fix the issue, and afterwards I tried to reset the NVRAM, which ended up causing extreme graphical glitches when booting up. I was unable to see any UI besides for strange graphical artifacts. The only solution was to boot into recovery, open the terminal from there, and put the files back to where they were. I was then back to normal, but I'm still experiencing the kernel_task issue when connecting to the external monitor.

So, be careful.

Docsigmund Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

I have a 2016 15" MacBook Pro.  Have been frustrated with high kernal task with external monitor (BenQ) for about a year.  Just got a dock for the MacBook and tried a  USB-C/HDMI cable plugging it directly in to the Monitor and the MacBook Pro Thunderbolt 3 port.  Now no issue with kernel task what so ever.

Velen966 Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

Go to Recovery mode, Choose Unitilly. Turn on Terminal.Type "csrutil disable" to disable SIP.

Restart.

go to

/System/library/Extensions/IOPlatformPluginFamily.kext/contents/plugins/ACPI_SMC_PlatformPlugin.kext/contents/resources/

delete the plist of your mac model.

Restart.

go back to Recovery mode enable SIP "csrutil enable"

Restart again.

solve my kernal_task problem.

Dual acreens on Macbook pro late 2011. Sierra.

I don't know why but some people may not find their mac model's plist in this location.

but this seems solve my problem, at least for now.

Wish this can help someone.

Saulr Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

I am conected to a samsung 4K TV and it hasn't caused any problems. When I connect to my DELL monitor which is WAY smaller, that's when I start getting the spikes on my processor. Maybe my computer doesn't like that monitor?

has anyone else tried connecting to a TV instead of an actual monitor?