unable to wake from sleep

Within the past 24 hours, the MBP failed to wake up from sleep twice. When I open the notebook, the screen was blank and would not respond to any input (keyboard, trackpad, etc.). The only way to bring it back is power cycle. Has anyone else experienced this issue?

Replies

Yes...

MacBook Pro (Retina, Mid 2012)

It's still nice to have advance access to what is coming!

So it's not just me. 🙂

I wonder how one can provide information or file bugs on this?

I don't know. I cannot find anyting relative to the "freeze" in my log files.

A minor annoyance, thus far.

Me too! MacBook Pro (Retina, Late 2013)

Run `sudo sysdiagnose` and attach the resulting tarball to a new Radar.

My iMac has the opposite problem: it wakes up in the middle of the night – and being in my bedroom, is quite annoying.

I found my iMac struggling to wake up. I waited, and it eventually did. I found a process, sdmd had eaten all the memory. After a reboot (Which took a while!), it now seems to be fine, and this process hasn't run away with the memory again.

I suspect it's some form of indexing daemon that isn't properly optimised yet.

My brand new 2015 13-inch Retina was having the same issues. It seemed that if I held the power button for 3 to 4 seconds it would wake back up.

I am having the same issue with my MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Mid 2015). It goes to sleep and sometimes it will wake back up but most of the time I have to hold down the power button and do a hard reset.

2.5 GHz Intel Core i7

16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3

AMD Radeon R9 M370X 2048 MB

+1 here. I can see the login screen usually, hear alert sounds going off, etc. It's not a total freeze. Glad to hear I'm not the only one.

Reseting the System Management Controller (SMC) cleared this problem up completely for me.

I've had a different, but possibly related issue: I've left the MBP internal flash on Yosemite, and booted to El Capitan from an external USB drive. On wake from sleep, the internal flash drive had disapeared and the only wat to boot back to it was to shut down and reboot with the external drive removed.

Perhaps related?

It didn't do it for me. I zapped SMC but the problem remains.

I'm disabling the power nap to see if it makes any difference. I'll report back.

😟 I am another one suffering from these mishaps on 2014 MacBook Pro Retina and El Capitan (love the name). When the machine is idle long enough (have not yet determined the time, but can be as short as a hour or tow) tapping the keyboard will usually bring a screen but no ability to enter password to enter El Captitan. Repeated attempt as using the keyboard are useless, other than powering down with the sleep key.

Phooey! 😮