OS X Could not be installed on your computer

During the installation of OS X El Capitan on my Mac Book Pro , the install fails and I am left with "OS X Could not be installed on your computer File System verify or repair failed. Quit the installer to restart your computer and try again." No matter how many restarts I do it does not install. Also repair does not work in disk utility. Please help me if you know what to do.

Replies

You need to boot into your current version of 10.10 or older. Then restart and boot into the recovery mode from 10.10 and use the old disk utility. The new one wont work until the new software is installed.

Hi

I have same problem.

Would you please help to find out how can I boot into my current version of 10.10?

Thank you in advance

How do I do that? I've tried restarting and nothing works!

I'm having the same issue as in the original post. I read somewhere that my hard drive may be damaged, but what the heck have I done to have that happen?! I'm in a continent very far away from the USA and thus don't have access to Apple chat or the genius bar. These forums seem like my best bet.

My issue is a little more complicated. It all started at some point where my laptop would start to behave like it was possessed; it would click, zoom and open things randomly. I realized there was an issue with the trackpad and then somehow managed to resolve that.

It's all a bit fuzzy, but I remember that there was a point where the laptop wouldn't power on normally so I had to go thru Recovery Mode by pressing cmd + R. I then tried to use the internet service to download and then install Yosemite. That was like 2 or 3 weeks ago. It didn't work, I can't remember the error message that displayed.

I then did some googling and then found an alternative method of starting up recovery mode, this method took me to a screen where I saw a globe instead of the usual apple logo (I think this is called Internet Recovery). This is where things started to go really bad: my precious macbook would just freeze at the part where you see a moving image of the globe and then a loading bar beneath. The loading bar would load up to like 5% and then just freeze. (haha I'm just staring at the frozen macbook screen and I feel defeated, my macbook was once so perfect that I thought I'd never need a new laptop for years).

You know what, I think my hard drive is indeed damaged, but how the heck did that happen!?

Hard drives don't last forever. They can go bad over night without any previous clue of an issue.
Also, being in a laptop, hard drive failures are far more common because the device is portable.

Moving it while the machine is running can result in head crashes where the read/write heads

actually make contact with the spinning platters. This can be catestrophic because such contact

actually scratches the surface which is where the data is recorded.

Your first step should be to back up any important data on your hard drive. Then, boot into

recovery mode CMD+R and use DiskUtillity to check the drive for errors. If none are found

it may simply be time for a clean install. If errors are found and can be repaired then you

may be fine to go forward. If not, it's time for a new hard drive. Depending on which Mac

you have, this will be a 2.5" SATA hard drive or a 1.8" ZIFF drive (Macbook Air (some models))

If it's an iMac the drive might be a 3.5" SATA or a 2.5" SATA hard drive. Late model 21.5" iMacs

have the 2.5" drive. The thicker older iMacs use the 3.5".