PHOTOS and Storeage. ACK.

Okay. This is a repost into THIS sector,because;

A) I know there are Uber Users and Developers in here who know how to DO STUFF, and have been patient with me in the Past,(like Max, who is a GOD), and may help me again

and

B) Maybe this issue is pertinant to OSX and the Cloud interaction with it and Photos and how it flows across devices and Storeage

So, here goes my copy-paste and a big Gratitude in advance for any help with making this work better for iPhonies who have only a miniscule amount of space on the phone.

(Content Paste is presented below)

"Okay, FIRST let me tell you;

I am new to owning an iPhone, but have been in the Pad since early version 1, particiating in the Betas since then.

Before I submit an enhancement request about iOS9.3,(and beyond), I want to ask persons more familiar with how Photos and iCloud and storeage work.

And I think my question is germain to many people's situation with their phones.

How do we create a ONE WAY photo storeage?

So that, whenever I take a photo with my iphone 6s, with only a measly 16G storeage,(= 11 available, now down to 3 even after turning off and deleting a BUNCH of Photos), I don't immediately start reloading my Library back onto my phone?

And, what's with, whenever I thin them from my phone, it means deleting the images EVERYWHERE, so that images I might want to casually share from my phone, but don't LIVE ON IT, have to be gone forever?

Is there a way to have a ONE WAY TO the Cloud? Why don't I find my Photos on my iCloud Drive, when I have bought additional iCloud space? They should be living there, easy to pickup, and then put back, right?

Am I just not knowing how to do that? If that's the case, can some patient soul step me through it?

I am an art photographer who is a simpleton about building software.

You might say, "Well, why are you participating in Beta, then?"

Because I think that REAL PEOPLE in REAL WORLD situations should help build the stuff we use, and that REAL DEVELOPERS benefit from folks like me using the Betas, having problems, bringing them here so Developers can tweek things.

Makes me SORT OF a Developer too.

okay, not MUCH....

In any case, before submitting a request for a better flow/storeage management, so that people who can only afford a DINKY 16G iPhone 6s,(which I bought for it's superior photo potentials over a wobbly iPad), have a way to really use their iPhone cameras without harbouring the entire 1TB image Library on the phone, I wanted to come and ask for a way to do that, from people who KNOW....

and if it's still quite a struggle, then submit a request for a better way.

Like, a switch on settings that says "Photos Store in Cloud, only download back to iPhone MANUALLY."

and deleting images from the phone doesn't result in DELETION EVERYWHERE."

Do you guys understand what I am driving at here?

I mean, there are LOTS of people with the "Little-est iPhone" out here.

There's gotta be an easy way, or, if not, there NEEDS to be an easy way.

Thank you, Folks! 🙂

Accepted Reply

I rather hope that THEY are paying attention to some of the discussions here.

I sort of assume that they do, at least a little bit.

If I were THEM, it would only make sense to keep my ears open as to what the Developer crowd are talking about.

While I was fussing about in my phone, trying to find ways to open up more of it's scarce storeage space, I did find the "optimize" option.

You can "optimize" for all devices, even the Mac on El Cap.

I think that most of us agree that the 3rd option is ideal for folks who are attentive to their space limitations and that Plan B is best for the General Public Default.

Is there a way we can just send THEM this set of discussions in the feedback assistant?

It's great interacting with you Max.

Thanks MASSIVELY for your input and help!

🙂

Replies

Hi Hoss 🙂, I gave a brief copy/paste answer to your original question in the iOS 9.3 beta forum - it's basically just a link to a Quora article on the subject though (a fairly good one), together with an excerpt from an Apple Support page.

I suggest you read through the Quora page to aquaint yourself with the situation as it stands and then submit an enhancement request as there is clearly room for more control to be given to the user in this area.

Wishing you well,

Max.

So currently there are two options:

1. Default - Store all photos at full size on both iDevice and iCloud. This seems like it might suit someone with a 64 or 128GB device without an incredibly large photo/video library and/or who wants to avoid the possibility of mobile data being used for downloading the full-size version of media back to the iDevice.
  2. A middle of the road option that stores reduced/thumbnail versions of the media on the iDevice and downloads the full-size version when the photo/video is opened for viewing or editing. This seems suitable for people with 32 or 64GB devices or even a 16GB device if they have very few photos. This allows the quick and easy browsing of the users entire library (in thumbnail form at least) from the device, even when no internet connection is available. A bit mobile data will be used in downloading the full sized versions when away from wifi.

I agree with you that, at the very least, option 2 should be the default because I would confidently guesstimate that it is suitable for more users than option 1 as things stand and because, more often than not, users are unaware that they have even the choice of these two options.

I also agree that a third option is needed where not even the thumbnails of pictures/videos are stored on the iDevice (apart from specific ones that the user ticks as "keep on device", with a slider that is defaulted to off like you mentioned). Much of the library would be completely unavailable when away from an internet connection, and mobile data would be consumed when browsing even thumbnails of the iCloud-only media when away from wifi, but it would still be the preferred option for many with 16GB iDevices, yourself included.

If Apple listen to you and implement such a third option, the second option would still probably make the best default, and it would be good if the Photos app could make the user clearly aware of the 3 options during the initial setup, and again at certain points of memory consumption (e.g. 10GB left on device, 5GB left, 2GB left, or something similar).

As for the option to remove certain Apps that are bundled with iOS, but are not integral to it, this enhancement request has been made by many users over many years. So much so that Tim Cook even made special reference to it in an interview recently (http://9to5mac.com/2015/09/15/tim-cook-interview-siri-iphone-6s-default-apps/). He made positive noises at least.

As for 3D touch on the iPad Pro, the first gen probably just missed the 3D touch boat because it was only released a couple of after the hardware was debuted on the 6s - perhaps not enough time to scale it up for the Pro. That would suggest that a second gen model of the Pro might have it but, against that, there is also the possibility that it would add too much to the weight of the Pro (which some already complain is quite a lot for a handheld device) when scaled up over the much greater area. In that case it may not be until the 3rd gen or so that they can refine the tech such that they feel happy to include it. I certainly agree that iDevices don't get much more "premium" than the Pro and, on that basis, it shouldn't be denied "premium" features like 3d touch without very good reason.

I hope that cover's all the bases 🙂.

I rather hope that THEY are paying attention to some of the discussions here.

I sort of assume that they do, at least a little bit.

If I were THEM, it would only make sense to keep my ears open as to what the Developer crowd are talking about.

While I was fussing about in my phone, trying to find ways to open up more of it's scarce storeage space, I did find the "optimize" option.

You can "optimize" for all devices, even the Mac on El Cap.

I think that most of us agree that the 3rd option is ideal for folks who are attentive to their space limitations and that Plan B is best for the General Public Default.

Is there a way we can just send THEM this set of discussions in the feedback assistant?

It's great interacting with you Max.

Thanks MASSIVELY for your input and help!

🙂

Happy to help 🙂

Just link to it (https://forums.developer.apple.com/thread/31051).