10.11.1 Not Available to Download

I cannot download 10.11.1. It's not showing up in the app store as an update. I'm currently on public version 10.11 Beta (15A278b

Accepted Reply

Hi Paul,

15A279 is Public Beta 6 and so the GM (Golden Master) would have been the logical progression for you to upgrade to from there. The GM is a release candidate - a candidate in the sense that it is hoped that the software is sufficiently stable and fully featured at this point to be classed as good enough for release.

Because it is a release candidate, there is no "update" available from Beta 6 to the GM - the GM requires a full installation, just as a release version of OS X does (that's not to say that it wipes your drive before installation - your user environment, your data, apps, etc. remain untouched). For this reason, the GM was only available in the "Purchased" section of the App Store, not the "Updates" section.

So, before you could update to 10.11.1, you would have needed to download and install the 10.11 GM. As part of the Public Beta program, you should have got an email about this a few weeks ago.

Unfortunately though, you've missed the boat for getting the GM because the program moved to offering 10.11.1 yesterday. This means that, because you don't already have the El Capitan GM installed, it's too late and you will have to wait for the final version to be released in 6 days.

Once you've installed the final release version, you'll have access to 10.11.1 through the Beta Program of course.

I hope this clarifies the situation. Sorry the news isn't better, but you don't have long to wait.

-Max

Replies

Hi Paul,

15A279 is Public Beta 6 and so the GM (Golden Master) would have been the logical progression for you to upgrade to from there. The GM is a release candidate - a candidate in the sense that it is hoped that the software is sufficiently stable and fully featured at this point to be classed as good enough for release.

Because it is a release candidate, there is no "update" available from Beta 6 to the GM - the GM requires a full installation, just as a release version of OS X does (that's not to say that it wipes your drive before installation - your user environment, your data, apps, etc. remain untouched). For this reason, the GM was only available in the "Purchased" section of the App Store, not the "Updates" section.

So, before you could update to 10.11.1, you would have needed to download and install the 10.11 GM. As part of the Public Beta program, you should have got an email about this a few weeks ago.

Unfortunately though, you've missed the boat for getting the GM because the program moved to offering 10.11.1 yesterday. This means that, because you don't already have the El Capitan GM installed, it's too late and you will have to wait for the final version to be released in 6 days.

Once you've installed the final release version, you'll have access to 10.11.1 through the Beta Program of course.

I hope this clarifies the situation. Sorry the news isn't better, but you don't have long to wait.

-Max

Thank you Max. I did receive the e-mail for the GM a couple weeks ago, but when I went into the App store to download it, it said there were no updates available so I never did anything about it. Then when 6 came out, I tried to install and still no updates were available (obviously per your reply). Do you know why I wasn't able to download the GM?

The GM was only available in the "Purchased" section of the App Store, not the "Updates" section. Some people needed to revisit the beta program website to make it appear there (too late for that now of course).

[EDIT: Anyone else reading this for the answer to the thread, if you haven't already checked your "Purchased" tab in the App Store, do so - you may have already got the code before the deadline but never checked the right tab]

-Max

Max,

Just an fyi, I went into my purcahsed and I was able to download the GM... so I dwonloaded it and then I was able to update to 10.11.1 from the updates section of the App store. Not sure why it was still avaialble, but it worked 🙂

That's to be expected - once it's in your Purchased section, it stays there. I took it from your earlier post that you had already checked and, assuming you didn't, it would have been too late to get the code that would have put it there.

Hi Max108, thanks for the answer.

As a mix of questioning and suggestion, do you know why is it necessary to go over all this hassle? Why not just allow Beta program participants to just upgrade normally through the regular update tab?

Me and quite a lot of colleagues spent the last weeks looking for a way to migrate from the old El Capitan Betas to the final version (or to the new beta) with no success, likely because of this whole process.

Thank you

MAS operation is predicated on release versions, not betas, which lie outside that process, for reasons other than trying to keep MAS simple and troubleshooting by staffers answering the phone to that area, etc.

And while it's a good question as to why the knots when betas are installed, keep in mind that process always invites risk rather than smoothness. If Apple could make it cleaner, I'm sure they'd at least try, but hey, it's called development for a reason, I guess 😉 and they seem to have their hands full just trying to make MAS do what it does for the public at large.