Apple developer account terminated after 8 years

Hello all,

I have been an Apple Developer for almost 9 years and I haven't had any problem with my apps. I offer file manager and utilities that are liked and downloaded by many users. I had more than 10 apps with great reviews and because of one my account was deleted. I know that I am not a big company, but I liked my work, I made enough to live and now all is gone. I feel very sad and I feel that Apple doesn't care about indie developers.

After 9 years I got two automated responses and nothing more.

Even the users that have previously purchased my apps can't download them again and I am getting many emails asking me what to do. They can't get their files because they had restored a backup or change their device.

A few weeks ago I received an email from Apple with a response from an app review:

During our review, we found a pattern of manipulative or misleading behavior that violates the Apple Developer Program License Agreement. These behaviors can include, but are not limited to, inaccurate metadata describing your app or service, misleading app content, engaging in inauthentic ratings and reviews manipulation, providing misleading customer support responses, providing misleading responses in Resolution Center, engaging in misleading purchasing or bait and switch schemes, and other dishonest or fraudulent activity within or outside of the app.

This app has been rejected some times and in each rejection, they ask me different things. I tried to comply with all the guidelines and the requests on each rejection. In the last one, I had to remove all the connections to my website but wasn't enough.

This app is mostly a file manager, It allows to view documents, decompress files and more. But also, like many other file managers on the AppStore, allow the users to download files. If the user tries to download a media file it won't be allowed and a message is shown. Now that my account is deleted, I have found in the AppStore many apps that don't comply with this guideline, some of them are very popular, they even advertise it on the screenshots.

I know that this has no solution but I feel so sad that I needed to share it.

Thanks for reading.

Replies

It is easy to understand your frustation, but sure it has nothing to do with your country origin.

You said:

This app has been rejected some times and in each rejection, they ask me different things

Has it been rejected several times or just 2 ?

That should have alerted you to provide very detailed and transparent explanation. Problem is that after several rejections, if the reviewer estimates that you are not really ready to comply, they may end closing the account.

Did you develop with an app generator ? May read this:

https://forums.developer.apple.com/thread/112285

You have 2 weeks to appeal. Try and maybe propose to remove completely this specific app ?

Hello,

Thanks for your response. It was rejected several times, but in that time they approved many other versions of the other apps. I develop with XCode and most of the code was written by me in objective-c and swift.

I think they could remove only that app or put my account under investigation. I have read several posts here and in other forums and if you get a notification for deletion, in most of the cases your account will be deleted, not like when you are under investigation. I think it also depends if you are a big company or an individual.

My account already has been deleted, I explained the situation and what happened on the appeal, but I didn't think telling them about removing that specific app. Some days after, they only sent me an automated response to tell me that the account was going to be deleted.

And now I am getting a lot of users complains, because they recover an update or transfer to a new device and they can't install the app and access their files.

Thanks

So you wrote the code and did not use external library ? None ?

When did you receive the notification of cancellation ?

I used some external libraries for ads, appodeal, which includes some other ads libraries. Also for chromecast. And other small libraries. But I had used them in other apps without any problem.

I received the first message on a Friday, and I wrote the response. The next Monday, more or less at the same time, the second one confirming the deletion:

During our review, we found a pattern of manipulative or misleading behavior that violates the Apple Developer Program License Agreement. These behaviors can include, but are not limited to, inaccurate metadata describing your app or service, misleading app content, engaging in inauthentic ratings and reviews manipulation, providing misleading customer support responses, providing misleading responses in Resolution Center, engaging in misleading purchasing or bait and switch schemes, and other dishonest or fraudulent activity within or outside of the app.

Hello,

I was checking the code and just found that I left a code that connects to the AppStore and checks if you have the last version of the app. Maybe the reviewer thought that this was made to change the app behavior during the review. I should have checked it before, but now it's too late. I will try to contact support but I think now is almost impossible to recover the account.

Anyone has been able to contact the review team from a deleted account?

thanks

Hello,
Is your account active again?

Hi

Did your account came back online?

Hello,

I didn't recover my account. I think it is very difficult to recover if they flag it for deletion, I tried to contact them and after a year I wrote a letter to reinstate the account that was rejected. I think they shouldn't be so hard with small developers that had an account for so many years without any problem. I believe that the rules for enterprises are different and that is unfair.

Right now I am working as a freelance, but I think never will be the same. I loved my job, I was a small developer with some apps that people really liked, I even still get emails asking about my apps.

I hope all of you get your accounts back and the review system improves for small developers.

Thanks for reading.

Hello Juan!   Thanks for providing context after two years since you got the incident with Apple.   Did you get your account reinstated?   We had a similar issue with them a couple of months ago. Definitely, small company doesn't play with the same rules as their big enterprises/clients. They communicated to us that our content in-app was misleading, but we proved that the majority of the apps in our category had the exact same content and they ignored that nor reinstate our account so we have a second chance. Surprisingly, after two months of our termination and after sharing with Apple several examples of apps having the exact them content that they classified as misleading, nothing change for the other apps – all of them are still ready for sale and receiving installs every day. It seems that there is no risk of termination from Apple at all for some other developers.     We were a start-up, 3 developers and friends, that we just launched our first app and, as any young company, it is okay to make mistakes. We just posted an app with the same content as all the other similar apps and then it turned to be misleading according to the apple team that reviewed us. They said it one time in a very ambiguous way, we partly correct it (as it is tough to understand the ambiguity that sometimes is used by the App Review team) and the second time, and the second time was already to inform us that our account was terminated.

I hope that they improve their services and support to the indi developers. In the end, we are there to help Apple, by providing apps and content to their iOS users. They should appreciate much more what we are and all the efforts behind any app.   At the moment, and as we are banned from posting new apps, we don’t know what to do. We are currently working as freelances but we would love to try to post our apps one day. Do you know how long does it take for an account to be terminated? Of course, we tried to communicate with Apple but this is mission impossible. No way you can get a phone call nor direct communication. It has to be through support tickets, they love to leave you on radio silence for weeks and then provide an ambiguous response that doesn’t answer your inquiry.   We would love to call out other developers that feel to be on the same situation as us and would love to find a solution with Apple. Please, find us in Crema Apps website.   Happy coding!! Crema

• Mehn I am scared out of my guts, I submitted a game on AppStore for review 3 days ago and they complained about copycats and incorrect privacy policy link… so knowing that this was accepted earlier I fixed the little ones and didn’t remove some of the content as it’s not copyright infringing and submitted it and apple said it’s still going to be rejected , reason others and that they need more time to review, mehn I got really scared and I took down the whole update and canceled review but before that I sent a reply to apple apologizing and pleading that my account should not be terminated but then I deleted all the update and everything related to that review as it seemed like I was already heading in the wrong direction to your account has been flagged for deletion… I haven’t gotten any of the messages tho but I really don’t want to risk this account…. If after 7days I don’t get any message from apple I won’t submit any update for a long time… has anyone experienced this? I mean in this pattern?

Add a Comment

Hello,

I just got a Termination Letter for Apple, in which it said: "...If applicable, no further payments will be made to you pursuant to Section 7.1 of the Paid Applications agreement (Schedules 2 and 3 to the ADP Agreement). " I have some revenue for June, and some proceeds in Jul until the day of Termination. I run ads in Apple Search Ads and paid for it. It would make no sense if Apple does not give me the payment. So will I get the remaining payment that the app had? Did anyone experience it? I really need your help. Thank you for your time.

• I have the same issue , did you receive any payment yet ?

• I have the same issue, did you receive any payment from apple ?

Add a Comment

The worst part is that they KEEP ALL YOUR MONEY from subscriptions and don’t have to deal with any customer support from Users that suddenly got their app terminated. in my case I paid for gpu costs so Apple owes me like 20k usd. I am glad the big guys (Epic/spotify) are fighting them. I could sue them but 20k might mot be worthwhile , I’ll just focus on web