Beta 5: Securely Empty Trash Setting Gone

After upgrading to beta 5, I noticed the Trash bin emptied much faster. I checked the 'empty trash securely' setting in the advanced settings finder tab, and it's no longer there. From the Finder menu, the 'Secure Empty Trash' option is greyed out and can't be selected, just 'Emtpy Trash'.

Replies

Well they might put it back soon though

Hey do you have problem like internal error ?

Do you know that it's supposed to be gone in the first place? There's no mention of it in the release notes -- sounds like you're more just making a random statement rather than providing accurate info?

I signed on just to report the same error.

I thought maybe it was related to SSD as opposed to HDD, but on my Mac Pro and MacBook Air, it shows Secure Empty Trash as greyed out.

I can tell El Capitan is starting to really take control of the computer. 😟

Just signed on to report the same problem. After updating to the new beta of El Capitan, there is no longer an option to 'Secure empty trash'. The ability to securely delete files in the trash is an essential operation and should be present in a modern-day personal computer operating system. It was there before. Now it's not. So... what happened, Apple? Even in a beta release, this shouldn't be an issue.

The only scenario I can think of where this is, indeed, not an issue... is if 'Empty trash' is now, by default, a secure delete that doesn't tie up or freeze the system while, in the background, the files in the trash bin are being securely overwritten.

I suppose we'll eventually see which scenario we're dealing with.

Having the same issue. For me, Secure Empty Trash worked yesterday and had been working during the El Capitian Beta. However I received an update last night. After it installed this morning the Secure Empty Trash is now greyed out. Would love to know how to fix this

It seems completely gone in DP6

I noticed it is gone but I am using Filevault always wondered if that is so, surely it is pointless so maybe Apple took it out if you are?

Are you using Filevault?

Today's update is even worse. Instead of reinstating Secure Empty Trash, they just completely removed it from the Finder menu. You don't see it as grayed out anymore because now it's just completely gone. Very bad user experience. It should have been reinstated with this update, not removed from the menu.

Same here, they completely removed the option "Secure Empty Trash". Hoping this comes back soon.

There is a Terminal work around. Because the empty trash progress bar doesn't display, I'm not sure if it's doing a simple empty or secure empty. Your mileage could vary…

http://www.cnet.com/news/performing-custom-secure-file-deletion-via-the-os-x-terminal/