3 Replies
      Latest reply on Oct 13, 2019 9:31 AM by Claude31
      realli15 Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

I've been trying to incorporate the new segue action functionality to communicate data between two view controllers. Unfortunately, the destination view controller is wrapped in a UINavigationController, which means that I have to return a UINavigationController. I've tried several different ways to pass data through the Navigation Controller to the root view controller(destination VC):

- use the segue identifer and/or the sender to get the navigation controller's root VC and set the data manually

- trying to access the destination VC directly

- create an instance of a nav controller, set the root VC to an instance of the destination VC

If you've figured this out, I would appreciate some insight on how you did it! Thanks.

• Re: How do you use IBSegueAction with navigation controller?
          Claude31 Level 8 Level 8 (6,595 points)

Should do something like this:

override func prepare(for segue: UIStoryboardSegue, sender: Any?) {
              var destinationViewController = segue.destination
              if let navigationController = destinationViewController as? UINavigationController {
                  destinationViewController = navigationController.visibleViewController ?? destinationViewController
              }

Could look at Stanford course CS193 for a detailed explanation.

h ttps://web.stanford.edu/class/cs193p/Winter2017/L6FaceIt.zip

mkflint Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

@claude31: you didn't read the question.

@realli15: I've got this working, but it might not be the best solution.

You have two segues here: one which presents the UINavigationController, and another which sets the root ViewController inside the UINavigationController - so I pass the data through both segues, using a custom UINavigationController.

In my case, I have three ViewControllers:

- MainViewController (extends UIViewController)

- SettingsNavigationController (extends UINavigationController)

- SettingsViewController (extends UIViewController)

I want to create a SettingsViewModel in the MainViewController, and pass it through to the SettingsViewController.

So I first pass it into SettingsNavigationController, using an @IBSegueAction in MainViewController. This creates SettingsNavigationController, passing in the SettingsViewModel, which is stored in a property. The "present navigation controller" segue is wired up to this instantiation function.

Then I also have an @IBSegueAction in SettingsNavigationController, which makes the SettingsViewController, passing in the stored SettingsViewModel. The "set root viewcontroller" segue is wired up to this instantiation function.

Hope that helps :-)

Claude31 Level 8 Level 8 (6,595 points)

Excuse me, I just replied to:

Unfortunately, the destination view controller is wrapped in a UINavigationController, which means that I have to return a UINavigationController.

Now, if the point is to find how to use IBAction instead, I would try by:

- subclassing navigationController

- in order to create :

@IBSegueAction
                private func showPreview(coder: NSCoder)
                    ->MyNavController? {
                    MyNavController(coder: coder, param: param)
                }

Then segue in the init of  MyNavController

init(coder: coder, param: param)

I am not sure I can see the value of this.

Note: read this : h ttps://useyourloaf.com/blog/better-storyboards-with-xcode-11/