Will my app be rejected?

Hi all,

We have a potentical client that do consulting for a living and asked us to make an app for them.

They have clients that pays them for the consulting, and now they want an app for their clients to access to get important info avaiable only on the app.

The tricky part is, that they only wants them to access while the consulting is happening, so they give some kind of code to access the app. that code have a time limit to use "premium" content of the app. The app will have also info for all people to enjoy.

I can do all of this, but I don't know if Apple will aprove this, since they will not receive a dime from this. The app will be free for all. The "premium" part will be avaiable for the company clients. They will give free cards for the clients to access the app for a limited time. After that time only the "public" content will be avaiable. This can be done without a problem? Will Apple interpret that the their clients are paying for the app outside the apple store? The truth is that their clients are paying for the consulting, and having access to premium content as a bonus. What are my options if this is a problem? What do I need to say to my client to comply with the Apple directives?

Regards,

Carlos.

Accepted Reply

No one, including Apple, can tell you if your app "will" be rejected. Apple may tell you that your app "has" been rejected, but only after the fact. Any further negotiations or haggling is simply a waste of your time and money. Be up front with your client about who controls Apple's Stores - Apple. Make sure they pay for your time regardless of what happens. Not your problem.

Replies

> Will Apple interpret that the their clients are paying for the app outside the apple store?

Yes, because they are.

You can operate as a 'Reader App' if that is all that you are providing and you can allow certain users to log into a website to get access to that content.

You can create an enterprise app that would be available only to customers.

the app is for all, but parts are only for customers. if they are not anymore customers they lose the privilage to that part of the app. thats normal. the customers will not pay more for the consulting and the access of the app. they pay what they usually pay for the consulting, but now they have 1 more resource that they can enjoy.

Your thinking is only right, if the app owner charge more money to the customer to access the app. As far as I know that's not true.

If I follow your thinking, i can't make an app that i will give to my customers, while promoting myself to other potencial clients showing also my services to others.

No one, including Apple, can tell you if your app "will" be rejected. Apple may tell you that your app "has" been rejected, but only after the fact. Any further negotiations or haggling is simply a waste of your time and money. Be up front with your client about who controls Apple's Stores - Apple. Make sure they pay for your time regardless of what happens. Not your problem.

> Your thinking is only right, if the app owner charge more money to the customer to access the app.

The app owner is only allowing paying customers to access the app. Does that mean that the paying customers are paying for the app or getting it for free? It means they are paying for the app. The cost of the app is included in the original payment by the paying customer. Did I pay for meals on that 'all expenses paid' cruise?

> If I follow your thinking, i can't make an app that i will give to my customers, while promoting myself to other potencial clients showing also my services to others.

I don't understand this comment. If you charge for an app you have to do that through IAP or at the original app purchase. You can't unlock an app using your own mechanisms; except for a Reader App.