OS X 10.15 and High CPU Usage for bsdtar

I have 10.15 installed on a test computer, a Mac Mini and when I boot up, three (3) bsdtar process start up and take up 80% or more of the CPU. I have killed the processes and that eliminates the high CPU usage, but a reboot brings the bsdtar processes back.

Has anyone else experenced this and a possible solution?

Thanks for any support.

Jeff

Accepted Reply

Do you have paraells installed?

I've got the same issue, but it appears its something involved with a tar gzip of the following file(s) as it was trying to tar and gzip the following file (among others)

/Users/---/Library/Logs/ParallelsToolbox/toolbox_report (3).xml.tar.gz

I've removed the offending parallels logfiles, so hopefully this issue doesn't re-occur.

Replies

Do you have paraells installed?

I've got the same issue, but it appears its something involved with a tar gzip of the following file(s) as it was trying to tar and gzip the following file (among others)

/Users/---/Library/Logs/ParallelsToolbox/toolbox_report (3).xml.tar.gz

I've removed the offending parallels logfiles, so hopefully this issue doesn't re-occur.

I’m bumping this since I just finished. Leaving it alone, it does eventually finish its work and drop off. Initially I kept force closing the tasks. But eventually I gave up. I have enough ram to not care and the CPU load, while high, did not destabilise the system. It does complete eventually

It appears to be Parallels Toolbox v2.6.1 which came bundled with Parallels Desktop v13. I'm using Parallels Desktop v15 now but it did not come with the toolbox so still using this old version.

The CPU spike did not seem to end in a reasonable amount of time for me. I ended up removing Parallels Toolbox from my startup/login items:
System Preferences > Users & Groups > left pane, click your login > Login Items tab > highlight "parallels toolbox" and click "-" to remove it from the startup.
I can confirm this has to do with Parallels Toolbox.
I also found Parallels Toolbox to be the issue, thanks all!

As of 1Dec2021 this is still happening with Parallels 17 for Mac running Monterey ver 12.0.1 on a MacBook Pro 15" 2017 Model

I disabled the start up Parallels Tool Box and the challenge has gone away for now. Go to: System Preferences > Users & Groups > left pane, click your login > Login Items tab > Highlight "Parallels Toolbox" and click "-" to remove it from MAC OS startup

I believe Parallels is working on this issue but you never know.