Failed to reboot after installing 10.14 Mohave on iMac (27-inch, Late 2012) with Fusion Drive

iMac (27-inch, Late 2012) with Fusion Drive 1TB

I used macOS High Sierra 10.13.6 via Mac App Store, and there was no problem.

I downloaded 10.14 Mohave via Mac App Store and installed it successfully.

I used 10.14 Mohave without any problem for 2 days or more.

I tried to reboot iMac but failed. It does not wake up.

I called to Apple Support Center, but they couldn't help me in my mind.

I attached an external HDD and installed macOS High Sierra 10.13.6 on it.

I could access the internal SSD and HDD in the Fusion Drive so that I copied the disks to the external HDD.

The command diskutil shows APFS Container has ERROR, No Volumes, unable mount the APFS Conteiner.

Now, I dettached the external HDD and attached an external SSD and installed macOS Mohave 10.14 on it.

I could access the internal SSD and HDD in the Fusion Drive but still the APFS Container has ERROR.

$ diskutil apfs list

APFS Containers (2 found)

|

+-- Container ERROR -69808

| ======================

| APFS Container Reference: disk2 (Fusion)

| Size (Capacity Ceiling): ERROR -69620

| Capacity In Use By Volumes: ERROR -69620

| Capacity Not Allocated: ERROR -69620

| |

| +-< Physical Store disk0s2 BC5A8F2F-082F-4EFD-8F9E-0F52BDB1D629

| | -----------------------------------------------------------

| | APFS Physical Store Disk: disk0s2 (Main)

| | Size: 121123069952 B (121.1 GB)

| |

| +-< Physical Store disk1s2 4ED580FA-D3A0-4CA6-8DA3-262437A5DC58

| | -----------------------------------------------------------

| | APFS Physical Store Disk: disk1s2 (Secondary, Designated Aux Use)

| | Size: 999995129856 B (1000.0 GB)

| |

| +-> No Volumes

|

+-- Container disk4 <external SSD installed macOS 10.14 Mohave>

1. What is the APFS Container ERROR -69808? and is there any way to fix it?

2. If not, how can I access files from the internal SSD and HDD or disk images? I have no other backup except the disk images by "dd" commands.

Thank you for your help~ ^^

Replies

Failed to reboot after installing 10.14 Mohave on iMac (27-inch, Late 2012) with Fusion Drive

You’ve posted to the Developer Forums, but your question doesn’t involve any code. You might have better luck asking this question over in Apple Support Communities, run by Apple Support.

Share and Enjoy

Quinn “The Eskimo!”
Apple Developer Relations, Developer Technical Support, Core OS/Hardware

let myEmail = "eskimo" + "1" + "@apple.com"

Apple Support Center told me the error codes means the fusion drive volume was broken. i.e., there is nothing Apple can help me.

I tried to use data recovery apps as following.

1. EaseUS - it can not handle a fusion drive, waste of time, waste of money. I had to spend a week or more to try this but failed.

2. iBoysoft - it can read the broken fusion drive and successfully recovers some of my files more than 90%... great. This saves my life.

I hope this may help anyone who has a similar broken volume on a fusion drive.

p.s. I started using time machine, clouds backup, and more to keep my data in any future accidents...

Hi: I have the same issue after update Mac OS Mojave to Catalina. I updated my iMac later 2012 to Catalina (from Mojave). The issue i have is no startup disk. Basically the conversion from HFS+ to APFS was wrong. It’s seems that the AppleAPFSMedia disk (that is the APFS container of APFS physical store) is not fully converted to APFS. I really think it because the AppleAPFSMedia disk has not the requiered volumes (preboot, recovery, data storage, VM). When i boot my iMac in recovery mode, in Disk Utility Tool there is the option to CONVERT TO APFS the AppleAPFSMedia disk. I think that is what i need to do, but I’m not sure. The problem I have is no backup data available. I do not want loose all my data... Recovery data apps you use are free or not? Thanks for your help