iPhone XS Max simulator freezes up the system GUI completely

Just upgraded to Xcode 10, everything seems to be working fine except trying to launch iPhone XS Max simulator would freeze the system GUI completely to the point I'll have to ssh in to reboot using command line. This happens on every try. Uninstall/reinstall Xcode 10 wouldn't make any difference. Also tried

defaults write com.apple.CoreSimulator.IndigoFramebufferServices FramebufferRendererHint 3

it didn't help either. I did notice though that other simulators seem to be working fine, only the iPhone XS Max simulator is having problem.

My system is Mac mini Server (mid 2010) running High Sierra version 10.13.6

Any help would be appreciated.

Replies

>Mac mini Server (mid 2010)

How much ram, and how much free space on your boot drive?

I am posting the system log here:

Sep 19 09:51:26 Pauls-MacBook-Pro nanotimekitcompaniond[2229]: objc[2229]: Class NTKDZIPArchivist is implemented in both /Applications/Xcode.app/Contents/Developer/Platforms/iPhoneOS.platform/Developer/Library/CoreSimulator/Profiles/Runtimes/iOS.simruntime/Contents/Resources/RuntimeRoot/System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/NanoTimeKitCompanion.framework/NanoTimeKitCompanion (0x1075950e8) and /Applications/Xcode.app/Contents/Developer/Platforms/iPhoneOS.platform/Developer/Library/CoreSimulator/Profiles/Runtimes/iOS.simruntime/Contents/Resources/RuntimeRoot/System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/NanoTimeKitCompanion.framework/nanotimekitcompaniond (0x105b538f0). One of the two will be used. Which one is undefined.

If your system is as old as mine I'm afraid Apple has simply stopped supporting them. I'm convinced that mine is due to the Nvidia driver being incompatible with how the new simulator works.

My video card info shows: Intel HD Graphics. Built-in NVIDIA GeForce GT330M. PCIe Is it possible that two video cards are cause problem? Is it possible to disable one?

I am reinstalling Xcode 10 now. Probably won't help.

30 minutes left.

I have something could be tried: Turn off automatical graphic card switching.

I have the same problem, iMac late-2009 / 12 Go RAM, 50Go SSD left / osx10.13 (high sierra)

How do you get a log ?

at home it starts with the display in the simulator is like crazy, then the whole machine does not respond ... forced to go through the switch to reboot the system

9 out of 10 times it would just freeze the UI so you could still ssh into the system and run "sudo dmesg" to get the error. You could also have the Console running while launching the simulator to observe the logs in real-time. The symptom that you described suggests the video card was completely messed up or the frame memory was flooded out of bounds so there is that one case where you may not even be able to remote in but to force a recycle of power. One thing I haven't tried is to upgrade the video card driver, I don't have a high hope on that either.

If you could force the Intel to take over that would be something worth giving a try with. Please keep us posted with your result.

I have confirm that Xcode 9.4.1 won't fix the problem.

I downloaded Xcode 9.4.1.xip and expanded it. Ran it and created a new project, tried iPhone 8 plus. same problem.

So when installing Xcode 10.0, something was done in ~/Library/Developer/PrivateFrameworks/CoreSimulator.framework.

Or when we run Xcode 10.0, something was written to ~/Library/Developer/PrivateFrameworks/CoreSimulator.framework.

If it is latter case, fix could be very simple.

RIght now I am stuck. Cannot use iPad simualtor to create screen shots for App Store.

Can you try to restore it from TimeMachine? I suspect Xcode 10 simulator has changed the way of how iOS screen will be rendered on the host, at least for screens with higher pixel count in order to keep up with the rendering demands by the bigger screens with higher resolutions.

I deleted XCode 10 and I restored XCode 9.4.1 from TimeMachine.

XCode 9.4.1 and the simulators work well.

I then downloaded and installed XCode 10.1 BETA:

in XCode 10.1 the iPhone X, iPhone XS, iPhone XS simulators are OK, only the iPhone XS Max simulator freezes the machine

I hope XCode 10.1 final will solve the problem!

nowhere is a hardware configuration specified for XCode 10, only OSX10.13.6 (high sierra) is needed.

https://forums.developer.apple.com/thread/108743, i have same issue in iphone xs max after upgrading the Xcode 10 version, Using language is objective C, only iphone XS MAX phone showing white screen, what's solutions?