Apps takes a lot of more memory in ios12

Hi,

we have some memory issue with the ios12 beta 12.

We use Unity as game engine.

Our game use a large ammount of memory (around 550mo on ios11).

We test our game on ios12 and we can no more launch some part of the game because our game came above 650MB so it crashs on 1GB device (iphone6 for example).

So we have made some memory test.

And the results are very bad on ios12

Memory used on an empty project (with the same excact device):

ios11 : 34.2 MB

ios12 beta 12 : 109.7MB

So we lose around 75MB between ios11 and ios12.

Our game is already optimized for low device so we have little memory we can remve from our side.

When you have 650MB to launch a project on 1GB device it's a very big lost.

Does someone else have the same memory problem ?

Does the apple engineers are aware of this problem ?

Why do we have no information about the memory usage in the release note if there is a modification so important ?

Here a capture in xcode 10 :

Thanks

Eden Games

Replies

I can also confirm the same issue, though to me it seems more or less like memory usage for all aspects of the app are 2x + over what iOS 11 require. Not just an initially higher requirement.

This happens on iOS 12.0.1 and the newly released 12.1
I'm not sure where the problem stems from (likely Unity in need to catch up to changes in iOS), but a solution is needed ASAP as this will end any possibility of developing on iOS 12. And since Apple religiously drives / forces people to upgrade to "the latest" versions of their software, it effectively means the user base is already on 12.
There is an ongoing thread on the unity forms that you might want to keep an eye on.
https://forum.unity.com/threads/ios-12-large-memory-usage.558550/

Is there any update on this?

Screen captures do not pass on this forum.

Have you posted the question to Unity as well ? What's their answer ?

Hi EdenGames, sannyasi,

It's likely that your app is using the same amount of memory that it was in iOS 11 but it is being accounted for differently in iOS 12.

Check out this article to understand your memory footprint and techniques to use memory efficiently to prevent jetsam.

https://developer.apple.com/documentation/metal/reducing_the_memory_footprint_of_metal_apps?language=objc