2018 MacBook Pro Supplemental Upgrade under Mojave?

Hey all

I'm running the Mojave Beta 4 release on my 2018 13" MBP, and I'd like to install the firmware patch that fixes the throttling issues these machines have. Is my only option to boot up to a High Sierra volume and install the patch there? From my understanding, the patch updates firmware, meaning the fix will carry over to my Beta installation.

Any word from macOS devs if Beta 5 will ship with the fix?

Accepted Reply

I just installed Beta 5 on my system, and I can confirm that the performance patch is very likely included in this update. Using a CPU-based renderer I created, I measured a 35 second improvement in render times compared to Beta 4.

Before the update, my renderers' preview view actually stuttered as the CPU throttled hard. Now it's completely smooth. The difference in the IPG graphs is also very noticeable. It now throttles to 3.1GHz consistently, and goes up to 3.2 as the fans kick in properly. Before it bounced between 3.1GHz and 2.2GHz (below the base clock!), at times even going to 800MHz briefly.

Looks like this problem is now solved for us beta testers!

Replies

im wondering when too.

Craig Federighi tweeted a response to a similar question saying that the fix will indeed be part of beta 5.

Where did you see this? I don't believe that Craig Federighi even has a Twitter account.

Well you don’t have to believe it yet. But when beta 5 comes out and fixes it then you will know it is true.

Glad to hear. I just mentioned that I did not believe that he has a Twitter account.

Is there a way of testing or validating if this supplemental update was applied as part of today's release of dev beta 5?

Edit: I may have jumped to my initial conclusion too soon. The first run I still saw still saw the CPU drop below 2.9Ghz for an extended period of time in a Cinebench CPU Benchmark. However, I've been unable to replicate it. On subsequent runs I've seen it hovering at or above 2.9 Ghz. Still, my particular computer doesn't seem to be putting up the scores over 1000 lilke others were seeing in Cinebench. Not sure why. Unless it is due to the other applications I have running in the background.

I figured it out. It is fine if I have my MacBook Pro plugged directly into a power source. I see it throttle below min if I have it plugged into the LG 5K Monitor. Most Likely due to the GPU being utilized to drive the display thus reducing the thermal space allowed for the CPU. Either way though it is not spiking up and down all over the chart like it did before.

FYI: If they have to throttle something when the GPU is in use I definitely prefer it to be a slight throttle to the CPU. Sure wish they would have used separate heat pipes though so it wouldn't have needed to make that decision.

I've been trying to find out if beta 5 includes the thermal fix as well, but not a single mention on twitter or response from anyone on it. Emailed apple dev support and they said they are unable to answer that and to check here where other devs and engineers can respond, though I was under the assumption engineers don't respond here so not sure where to ask Apple if it's fixed or not, as I'm not sure why it wouldn't be an easier yes or no. If anyone knows 100% officially if beta 5 fixes it, would love to hear!

I just installed Beta 5 on my system, and I can confirm that the performance patch is very likely included in this update. Using a CPU-based renderer I created, I measured a 35 second improvement in render times compared to Beta 4.

Before the update, my renderers' preview view actually stuttered as the CPU throttled hard. Now it's completely smooth. The difference in the IPG graphs is also very noticeable. It now throttles to 3.1GHz consistently, and goes up to 3.2 as the fans kick in properly. Before it bounced between 3.1GHz and 2.2GHz (below the base clock!), at times even going to 800MHz briefly.

Looks like this problem is now solved for us beta testers!