Post not yet marked as solved
0 Replies
I'm working to make my iOS app available via Catalyst, and I'm adding a leading-edge sidebar via UISplitViewController and putting a toggle button in the window toolbar to control it. I'd like that sidebar toggle button to go on the leading side of the toolbar, before the window title. In the Adding a Toolbar Catalyst tutorial, there are screenshots of this behavior: But when I download the finished project and run it on my machine (macOS 14.4), the toolbar buttons are clustered on the trailing edge: How do I achieve the behavior shown in the tutorial's screenshot, where the toggle sidebar button (or, ideally any custom toolbar item I choose) shows up on the leading edge? Even more ideally, is there a way I can make the sidebar toggle button show up in the header section for the sidebar, like it does in Xcode - right next to the stoplight buttons?
Posted Last updated
1 Replies
I have a button in my iOS app that opens the Settings app to my app's Notification permissions section. I use UIApplicationOpenSettingsURLString for this (or UIApplicationOpenNotificationSettingsURLString on iOS 15.4 and later). On Catalyst, both of these simply open the settings screen that is auto-generated from the Settings bundle. How do I get it to open to the appropriate place in System Settings?
Posted Last updated
0 Replies
I have been getting crash reports from users of my Mac app on Sonoma 14.0 and 14.1 when typing into an NSTextView subclass. The crash logs I have show involvement of the spell-checking system - NSTestCheckingController, NSSpellChecker, and NSCorrectionPanel. The crash is because of an exception being thrown. The throwing method is either [NSString getParagraphStart:end:contentsEnd:forRange:] or [NSTextStorage ensureAttributesAreFixedInRange:]. I have not yet reproduced the crash. I have tried modifying the reference finding process to simply link every word, via NSStringEnumerationByWords. The text view in question recognizes certain things in the entered text and adds hyperlinks to the text while the user is typing. It re-parses and re-adds the links on every key press (via overriding the didChangeText method), on a background thread. From user reports, I have learned that: The crash only occurs on macOS 14.0 and 14.1, not on previous versions The call stack always involves the spell checker, and sometimes involves adding recognized links to the text storage (the call to DispatchQueue.main.async in the code below) The crash stops happening if the user turns off the system spell checker in System Settings -> Keyboard -> Edit on an Input Source -> Correct Spelling Automatically switch The crash does not happen when there are no links in the text view. Here is the relevant code: extension NSMutableAttributedString { func batchUpdates(_ updates: () -> ()) { self.beginEditing() updates() self.endEditing() } } class MyTextView : NSTextView { func didChangeText() { super.didChangeText() findReferences() } var parseToken: CancelationToken? = nil let parseQueue = DispatchQueue(label: "com.myapp.ref_parser") private func findReferences() { guard let storage = self.textStorage else { return } self.parseToken?.requestCancel() let token = CancelationToken() self.parseToken = token let text = storage.string self.parseQueue.async { if token.cancelRequested { return } let refs = RefParser.findReferences(inText: text, cancelationToken: token) DispatchQueue.main.async { if !token.cancelRequested { storage.batchUpdates { var linkRanges: [NSRange] = [] storage.enumerateAttribute(.link, in: NSRange(location: 0, length: storage.length)) { linkValue, linkRange, stop in if let linkUrl = linkValue as? NSURL { linkRanges.append(linkRange) } } for rng in linkRanges { storage.removeAttribute(.link, range: rng) } for r in refs { storage.addAttribute(.link, value: r.url, range: r.range) } } self.verseParseToken = nil } } } } } I've filed this as FB13306015 if any engineers see this. Can anyone
Posted Last updated
0 Replies
I'm seeing some hang reports for my app in the Xcode organizer that boil down to [AAAttribution attributionTokenWithError:]. The docs for that method talk a lot about a request to Apple's services, but it looks like that's about passing the fetched token up to be decoded...but is the method also making a network request? Or is it doing something else that shouldn't be done on the main thread? If it wasn't main-thread safe I'd expect it to be documented as such, or for the Swift version to be async...
Posted Last updated
Post marked as solved
4 Replies
2k Views
I work on an iOS app that displays images that often contain text, and I'm adding support for ImageAnalysisInteraction as described in this WWDC 2022 session. I have gotten as far as making the interaction show up and being able to select text and get the system selection menu, and even add my own action to the menu via the buildMenuWithBuilder API. But what I really want to do with my custom action is get the selected text and do a custom lookup-like thing to check the text against other content in my app. So how do I get the selected text from an ImageAnalysisInteraction on a UIImageView? The docs show methods to check if there is selected text, but I want to know what the text is.
Posted Last updated
0 Replies
I am working on supporting some formatted text editing in my app, and I've been experimenting with copy and paste support for formatted text. I discovered that NSAttributedString implements NSItemProviderWriting, which means I can give it to UIPasteboard via setObjects and all the built-in attributes transfer perfectly if I then paste it into another text view, or even another app that behaves itself. But if I have custom attributes in my attributed string, having their values implement Codable doesn't let them transfer across the clipboard. In my implementation of textPasteConfigurationSupporting(_: transform:), I try to get an attributed string like this: let attr = item.itemProvider.loadObject(ofClass: NSAttributedString.self) { val, err in //...handle here } I get an error like this: Error Domain=NSItemProviderErrorDomain Code=-1000 "Cannot load representation of type com.apple.uikit.attributedstring" UserInfo={NSLocalizedDescription=Cannot load representation of type com.apple.uikit.attributedstring, NSUnderlyingError=0x600003e7bea0 {Error Domain=NSCocoaErrorDomain Code=260 "The file “b036c42113e34c2f9d9af14d6fefcbd534f627d6” couldn’t be opened because there is no such file." UserInfo={NSURL=file:///Users/username/Library/Developer/CoreSimulator/Devices/86E8BDD4-B6AA-4170-B0EB-57C74EC7DDF0/data/Library/Caches/com.apple.Pasteboard/eb77e5f8f043896faf63b5041f0fbd121db984dd/b036c42113e34c2f9d9af14d6fefcbd534f627d6, NSFilePath=/Users/username/Library/Developer/CoreSimulator/Devices/86E8BDD4-B6AA-4170-B0EB-57C74EC7DDF0/data/Library/Caches/com.apple.Pasteboard/eb77e5f8f043896faf63b5041f0fbd121db984dd/b036c42113e34c2f9d9af14d6fefcbd534f627d6, NSUnderlyingError=0x600003e7ac70 {Error Domain=NSPOSIXErrorDomain Code=2 "No such file or directory"}}}} But I tried making my custom attribute values implement NSSecureCoding, and then it worked. Why is Codable conformance not enough here? Is it because the code that serializes and deserializes is still in Objective-C and isn't aware of Codable? Will this change as the open-source Foundation in Swift work continues?
Posted Last updated
0 Replies
WWDC 2021 session 10064 introduced UIButtonConfiguration, a new way to configure the visual appearance of buttons, for iOS 15. I've run into a surprising bit of behavior with its image setup: if you give it an image from an asset catalog that's bigger than the button's bounds, the image is sized too big for the button. See the attached screenshot of an example app. The upper play icon is a button set up with setImage:forState:, and it sizes the image down as expected. The lower one is set up with UIButtonConfiguration, and is constrained to the same size (both buttons have a red border), but its image is too big. How do I control the image sizing behavior here? FB12358840 if any engineers look at this and think there could be an API improvement here.
Posted Last updated
1 Replies
WWDC 2021 session 10064 introduced UIButtonConfiguration, a new way to configure the visual appearance of buttons, for iOS 15. I'm now in the process of switching all my button setup over to UIButtonConfiguration, and I've run into one situation where it doesn't apply: rounding specific corners of the button. CALayer has the maskedCorners property that lets you round or mask specific corners but not others. In transferring border radius, border width, and border color styling over to UIButtonConfiguration via UIBackgroundConfiguration, I don't see an equivalent UI. Am I missing something? For now, in cases when I need the maskedCorners functionality, I'm falling back to using the layer for border properties.
Posted Last updated
2 Replies
I have an app that uses UITextView for some text editing. I have some custom operations I can do on the text that I want to be able to undo, and I'm representing those operations in a way that plugs into NSUndoManager nicely. For example, if I have a button that appends an emoji to the text, it looks something like this: func addEmoji() { let inserting = NSAttributedString(string: "😀") self.textStorage.append(inserting) let len = inserting.length let range = NSRange(location: self.textStorage.length - len, length: len) self.undoManager?.registerUndo(withTarget: self, handler: { view in view.textStorage.deleteCharacters(in: range) } } My goal is something like this: Type some text Press the emoji button to add the emoji Trigger undo (via gesture or keyboard shortcut) and the emoji is removed Trigger undo again and the typing from step 1 is reversed If I just type and then trigger undo, the typing is reversed as you'd expect. And if I just add the emoji and trigger undo, the emoji is removed. But if I do the sequence above, step 3 works but step 4 doesn't. The emoji is removed but the typing isn't reversed. Notably, if step 3 only changes attributes of the text, like applying a strikethrough to a selection, then the full undo chain works. I can type, apply strikethrough, undo strikethrough, and undo typing. It's almost as if changing the text invalidates the undo manager's previous operations? How do I insert my own changes into UITextView's NSUndoManager without invalidating its chain of other operations?
Posted Last updated
Post marked as solved
1 Replies
One of the things discussed in Understanding the exception types in a crash report is the 0xdead10cc code under EXC_CRASH (SIGKILL): 0xdead10cc (pronounced “dead lock”). The operating system terminated the app because it held on to a file lock or SQLite database lock during suspension. My app gets killed this way here and there, and it's been on my project list for some time to make the requisite changes to database connection handling to fix it. With an App Store build, as far as I know it just means the app cold-starts when launched instead of resuming, but in a TestFlight build it actually shows a crash reporter dialog. Reports of this issue from TestFlight users got more frequent with a recent update that had the effect of keeping more SQLite handles open longer, and I realized that I personally have never seen a crash reporter dialog after fast-app-switching away from a TestFlight build on my device. And I use the TF build as my daily driver, and I use my app a lot. My question is this: is it possible that the 0xdead10cc crash doesn't happen on Developer Mode devices?
Posted Last updated
1 Replies
I'm adding some text formatting support to an editable text view in my app, and I want to include bulleted lists. I specifically want to have the standard behavior where if you're typing a line of text in a list and press Enter, the next bullet item is automatically inserted. This appears to somewhat work out-of-the-box with NSTextList on iOS 16, unless the line you're editing is at the very end of the document. This is apparent in the sample code for WWDC 2022 session 10090 (project is here): Run that sample app and switch to the List tab Put your cursor at the end of any line except the last one and press enter. You get a new list item, as expected. Put your cursor at the end of the very last line and press Enter. You don't get a list item until you type something on that line. I've likewise found that if I have this text in a text view: Hello World\n\nList here\n If I format the text List here as a bulleted list (by creating an NSMutableParagraphStyle with its textLists property set and adding it to the attributed string for that range) and press Enter at the end of the word Here, I get a new bullet item automatically. But if I do the same thing without having that last newline after Here, the new list item is not inserted. How can I make the list auto-continuation behavior work at the end of the document?
Posted Last updated
Post marked as solved
1 Replies
I'm enhancing some existing text editor functionality in my app, and I'm adding support for the UIStandardEditActions method useSelectionForFind. The docs on the method say: UIKit calls this method when the user selects the Use Selection For Find command from an editing menu. Your implementation should present the UI for finding textual content in your view and use the selected text for the search. For example, a view using a find interaction might call presentFindNavigator(showingReplace:) and pass the selected text as the query string. Reading this, I'd expect that selecting text and pressing Cmd-E on an attached keyboard should display the Find UI and prefill the selected text. But in a couple of Apple apps that I tried on my iPad, Pages and Notes, pressing Cmd-E doesn't actually do anything visible, even if I hold Command to show the keyboard shortcut HUD and manually tap "Use Selection for Find". If I trigger the Find UI using Cmd-F, it does prefill the selected text, which it doesn't if I select text and press Cmd-F without pressing Cmd-E first. I tried a couple of apps on my Mac, too - Xcode, TextEdit, TextMate - and they do the same thing. Pressing Cmd-E or triggering the command via the menu item does nothing visible, but when I then bring up the find UI the text is there. Or if the find UI is already visible when I press Cmd-E, the selected text is inserted there. So, what's up here? Is that suggestion in the docs just wrong / out of step with what the standard behavior is? Or are all these apps wrong?
Posted Last updated
1 Replies
UILargeContentViewerInteraction, added in iOS 13, works out of the box on the tab bar in a UITabBarController, and it's easy to set up on a custom view using the UILargeContentViewerItem properties on UIView. But how do I set it up on a UITabBar that's not connected to a UITabBarController? There don't appear to be any relevant properties on UITabBarItem. To try this, I made a sample app, added a tab bar, set up some items, set their largeContentSizeImage properties for good measure, ran the app, set text size to a large accessibility value, and long-pressed on the items, and I get no large content viewer. I also tried adding a UILargeContentViewerInteraction to the tab bar, and implemented the viewControllerForInteraction method in the delegate.
Posted Last updated
1 Replies
1.6k Views
I have an iOS app that I'm looking to make available as a Catalyst app. I have various view controllers that I present using custom animations and presentation styles via UIViewControllerTransitioningDelegate, UIViewControllerAnimatedTransitioning, UIPresentationController, et al. Most of the view controllers I present with my custom styles are UINavigationController instances (or subclasses thereof). And when I build and run my Catalyst app on Ventura, the titles and bar items for the navigation items of the view controllers in the navigation stack get moved to the title bar of the application, and the navigation bar doesn't appear at all in the presented view controller. Why is this happening, and how do I stop it? I've looked through the documentation for the APIs I mentioned above and tried setting various things that seemed like they could conceivably be relevant - UIPresentationController.shouldPresentInFullscreen, UIViewController.modalInPresentation, etc - and have had no luck.
Posted Last updated
Post marked as solved
2 Replies
3k Views
I've got a UIBarButtonItem in my app that currently presents an action sheet of items. I want to switch this to a UIMenu with iOS 14's new APIs for buttons and bar button items. But somme of the contents of the action sheet change based on the state of the view controller when the action sheet is triggered. With the action sheet, I generate a different action sheet every time the bar button item's target action is called. But with the new APIs, I have to generate the menu ahead of time and assign it to the button. What's the best way to get the menu to update every time it's presented? I tried UIDeferredMenuElement, but it caches the result of its provider. Feedback FB7824467 suggests adding a property to UIDeferredMenuElement to disable the caching of the provider result.
Posted Last updated