App rejected because of user’s consent to access their camera and photos

Hello all,

I am trying to release an app(which lets users take or select photos and post messages for sharing on app and via website), and I got a message that it was rejected because:

"""We noticed that your app requests the user’s consent to access their camera and photos but does not clarify the use of this feature in the permission modal alert."""

I cannot figure out what is wrong with the content of my modal. I have looked at many, many popular apps on App Store, and their text is minimal compared to mine. What am I missing?

Here is my modal text (substitued name of my app with 'AppName'):

For Photo Library:

Current text:

"AppName" Would Like to Access Your Photos

AppName lets you choose which photos you want to upload. Only photos you choose will be uploaded and shared.

For camera:

Current text:

"AppName" Would Like to Access the Camera

Use your camera to post photos for saving and sharing on AppName

Can anyone provide me with some suggestions? Review staff explain that they cannot help with features or concepts.

Thanks in advance for any guidance.

Replies

One problem I see is that your disclaimer only mentions using photos, not the camera, yet you state the app uses both, so there you go.

The suggestion you need to follow is in the second disclaimer you quoted... And yes, app review won't make our apps for us. The instant they participate directly, with specifics, they share responsibility for that app going forward.

As for other apps, remember that no app in the store is any promise of what will/won't be rejected going forward. If you believe an app has put something over on the process, be sure to let Apple know.

Similar case here: https://forums.developer.apple.com/thread/113646

Did you get it resolved?

Have you inserted that text into the info.plist under:

Privacy - Camera Usage Description

and

Privacy - Photo Library Usage Description

as described here:

https://developer.apple.com/documentation/photokit/requesting_authorization_to_access_photos?language=objc