iOS 11 Simulator unusable slow

Hi,

the iOS 11 Simulator is unusable slow for me when using MKMapKit. I'm getting <= 1 FPS with major UI lag when:

- Running an app using MKMapView

- Running the preinstalled Maps app

I'm on High Sierra (17A315i), using Retina MBP Mid 2012, Intel Core i7 2.3 GHz, 16 GB DDR3 Ram, Intel HD 4000 / GeForce GT 650M.

iOS 10.x Simulators are working fine with Xcode 9.

Replies

Finnaly! Now my app runs at 12 fps, still better than 0.5 fps 🙂
@smt2ios I used file from beta 1, you can find download links on the internet. I could give you the link or even direct link to the file, but I'm not sure if it is allowed here...

I have filed a very detailed bug report. I suggest that everyone do the same to provide Apple with as much information as possible to fix this.

This is a mission critical problem for me at this point.

I have the same issue in the final release Xcode 9. SpritKit action is very slow in the simulator.

Is this even a work around when you don't give us a link to download an older version of Xcode 9? I'm increasingly concerned about Apple's shocking lack of QA in their software.

Same issue here - XCode 9 iOS11 MapKit rendering too slowly to complete any testing on 2015 model computer.

Also filing bug report.

I have never submitted bug to Apple before, but this time my patience is over. Tim gotta see this thread

If you want a workaround for this problem, try the suggestion from rbishop_apple (see his comment dated Sep 22, 2017 1:28PM starting "There is a bug in OpenGLES.framework" earlier in this thread). I copied libCoreVMClient.dylib from Xcode 9 Beta 3, and MapKit in the iOS simulator is now working great.

Can you post those files somewhere? Because the Beta 3 is no longer available for download.

my problem is with xcode running too slow to use. Just dragging a label in the storyboard causes the pinwheel to spin for 10 seconds each time.

I have found that this problem gets worse the longer xcode is running. So I run it for about five minutes until it gets very slow and then close it and restart xcode then repeat the cycle as needed. Pretty clunky, but it seems to work for me. I just downgraded to xcode 8 for now so I can finish my time sensitive project. I'll go back to xcode 9 once we hear from Apple.

As previously stated, I'm using a 2017 imac with faster CPU and 32GB Ram.

Apple can you please help us? At least provide some kine of recognition of the problem.

Thanks.

You can download iOS 10.3.1 in xcode 9. It's not xcode error but the error from iOS 11. It's fine to me.

Thanks! I followed your advice and @rbishop_apple guidance. I cannot say it works great, just slightly better.

Still waiting for the real solution to this issue

Thanks again

Thanks for posting this workaround. Unlike many here, I've been fortunate enough to be able to put my development aside for a while. I'd been hoping that a solution would have resulted in an update to Xcode by now.

Why, if you guys know what the problem is, haven't you released 9.0.1 or something to address this? Surely you want us developers to be updating our apps to work with iOS 11?! I will be holding off updating my devices and Mac until this has been resolved properly so that when I _do_ return to developing, I'm not stymied like everyone else.

Don't forget: This problem only happens in the iOS 11 Simulator of Xcode 9. You can always download&select an iOS 10.x Simulator and OpenGL based apps runs fine. So no need to downgrade to Xcode 8. Just select an iOS 10.x device on the Simulator list.

Of course this does not help, if you need to run it on iOS 11 (e.g. for optimizing your app for the upcoming iPhone X) - so I would also highly appreciate a bugfix for this - I also created a bugreport.

Yep. If you're using iOS 11 APIs or targeting iOS 11 you are stuck.

Not even finding the file (libCoreVMClient.dylib) on my machine with both Xcode 8.3.3 and Xcode9.0... Above folders doesnt exists either.. What am I doing wrong?