Apple Pencil Pairing Issues

Is anybody else having a probelm pairing an Apple Pencil. I insert it into my new 2gen iPad Pro 12.9 and it briefly shows the dialog to Pair and then shows it connected, but then disconnects, and then I get an Error that the Pencil took to long to pair. Then it doesn't work.

Am I alone in having this issue.

Thanks,

Nick

• I bought my new iPad pro 4th gen with a pencil 2 18 months ago. Went to charge it and found pencil not pairing.. did all the trouble shooting from online forums, then the apple call centre and then went to the apple store for their tech people to take a look. They concluded the pairing issue is a hardware issue. The iPad had to be replaced. iPad is out of warranty and so it was gonna cost me 600 bucks to replace it. To add insult to injury the replacement was only gonna have a 90 day warranty despite it being a new out of package product, albeit 4th gen. Apple wanted to credit us $300 for what is otherwise a perfectly good ipad. This policy of apple is sheer arrogance. We pay so much for their products. It is unreasonable for a $1300 product to fail in just 18 months. Australian consumer law would have protected me here if I were in Australia as they state that it is a lawful expectation that these products should be fail proof for 2 years. Customers expect that for premium pricing they should get a solid sense of ownership from Apple of the issues that have to do with defective products. The staff agreed with me that the iPad was kept in very good condition. Apple really had no way of fixing this issue in terms of iPad repair or helping us with a free of charge replacement. Quite upset about the whole thing really. We have spent thousands with applle buying all their devices over the years. We honestly felt they could do better

Add a Comment

Replies

Had the exact same issue. A brand new Apple Pencil would only pair for a short period of time and then would disconnect. I tried the hairdryer hack - held the pencil under it for 2 minutes. And magic - the Pencil was detected with 0% battery (I assume it was an old stock since it was a gift purchased on eBay, hence why the battery was ded). It’s now paired and connected. Thank you to the kind humans that shared this hack - you’re going straight to heaven, no question.
I’m having the same exact issue with a 1st generation Apple Pencil. I tried the hairdryer hack which works for about 2 minutes and the the pencil connects and disconnects every couple of seconds.
Can confirm the hair dryer hack worked. Bought Pencil brand new a year and half ago, used it a couple of weeks ago, although it's only been used maybe a couple dozen times. Pencil wouldn't pair, even after what seemed like fully charging. Heated with the hair dryer maybe 30 seconds. Voila. Was prompted to pair as soon as I plugged it in again. It was 100% charged by that time as well. Thanks y'all! Don't know what's up with that but it works.
I'm having exactly the same problem - 3% battery, disconnected seconds after being paired and not usable at all.

I am currently having the same problem, the pencil is taking too long to pair and the last time I saw it said it was 3% battery but it was on its dock. I have an iPad air. Looking for a fix but can’t seem to find one. Seems like apple isn’t looking for any either because this forum has been running for three years.

I also tried the hair dryer until it felt warm and now it’s charging again and paired. :)

My friend had an apple pen that was never opened. sadly he passed away, but I just opened it now as i mispalced my own one and connected it to my Ipad. the Pair option comes up and goes really fast. If i do manage to press Pair, it says the Pen is connected but immediatly say Not Connected. I have done all the software updates on my Ipad but still the same issue....Please help.

• I’m having this exact issue. Hair dryer/heat hack has not worked for me.

Add a Comment

It is amazing! I didn't use a hairdryer but instead placed the pencil on my stomach that was very warm for no more than 30 seconds, attached it to my iPad and voila it started to work. No idea what's going on there but thank you everyone on this forum!

Confirming the hair dryer worked on a 1st gen Apple Pencil paired with 6th gen iPad. Hadn't used the pencil in close to a year and was having pairing issues. Held it under the hairdryer and boom - works perfectly again.

5 years Apple this has been a issue…yet here I am today March 10th 2023 still facing the exact issues a;l these other people faced. fix this. I’m about ready to switch to an android got everything

I have only signed up here to say MASSIVE thanks to the person who came up with the hairdryer idea. I was devastated when I tried to pair a NEW Apple Pencil 1st gen that's been most likely sitting in a drawer somewhere for god knows how long. It was kept disconnecting, not pairing, nada nada.

Heated up for 1 minute and voila, like the above issues never happened. Connected and started charging straight away, blown my mind. Madness. Huge Kudos to you man.

Can't believe the hairdryer actually worked but it did for me too!

The hairdryer thing actually worked for me.

Can't believe this is still an issue 6 whole years later in the year of our lord 2023, jfc get it together Apple. I have an iPad Pro that's several years old but still works well, though my original Apple Pencil died recently. My friend gave me a brand new one (still unopened in the packaging) that she bought about a year ago and never ended up using. I tried to connect it, but it won't charge or stay paired at all. Also tried the heat trick with a hair dryer multiple times, and it still isn't working. Going to try the genius bar at the store, but will be supremely annoyed if I have to replace a literally brand new pencil because Apple can't get their sh*t together.