Auto-renewable subscriptions usage scope

Hello! I want to clarify the usage scope of auto-renewable subscriptions. The guideline telling us:

"If you offer an auto-renewing subscription, you must provide ongoing value to the customer. While the following list is not exhaustive, examples of appropriate subscriptions include: new game levels; episodic content; multi-player support; apps that offer consistent, substantive updates; access to large collections of, or continually updated, media content; software as a service (“SAAS”); and cloud support."

So, it's emphasises, that there could be other cases. I want to be sure will my app be approved by the review, or not.

My application is an offline business utility. It doesn't provide any cloud services or updating media content. The only reason to use subscriptions is that the app will be consistently updated according to: iOS updates, user suggestions, new features and bug fixes. So it's probably one of "apps that offer consistent, substantive updates", isn't it?

What should I write to users and to Apple so that the app will be able to pass review?

There are many reasons why I like auto-renewable subscription model, besides 85% revenue. It sufficiently lowers barriers for a user, thanks to the free trial and ability to cancel if the first experience was not satisfying. Moreover, it provides great feedback: looking at subscribed users count I'm able to decide, should I spend more time supporting this application, or should I pay attention to another, more successful aps. I also can release the app earlier, and gradually improve it constantly listening to user feedback. It's better than make a technically ideal paid app that nobody will buy. And I think it just more fair, because todays app are not "fire and forget" products and require continuous maintenance and updates.

Replies

First, let's point out the problems with your line:

>So, it's emphasises, that there could be other cases. I want to be sure will my app be approved by the review, or not.

First - it does not 'emphasize' that there could be other cases - it allows that there could be other cases. Second - this forum contains only the opinions of developers and you can never get certainty that your app will be approved.

That said...you are proposing something which does not fit the concept of autorenewable subscriptions. Inherent in autorenewable is content that is changed (aka updatred) in the time period comparable to the autorenewing time frame. You might be able to use a non-renewing subscription for your app.

Thanks for answer!

Sports applications, for example Strava using auto-renewing subscriptions. They provide additional features, for example sharing with friends. Endomondo uses non-renewing subscriptions, btw.

Second - this forum contains only the opinions of developers and you can never get certainty that your app will be approved.

By the way I noticed some users have apple sign near their nickname. I suppose they are developers hired by Apple and acting here as official support. May be I'm not right.