Command CodeSign failed with a nonzero exit code

I am having a peculiar issue with an app I am developing.

I am trying to upload it onto App Store Connect but I am getting one error, and a very odd behavior.

The error message I am getting is:

/Users/user/Documents/GitHub/MyApp/MyApp/DerivedData/MyApp.pub/Build/Intermediates.noindex/ArchiveIntermediates/MyApp.pub/InstallationBuildProductsLocation/Applications/MyApp.pub.app: resource fork, Finder information, or similar detritus not allowed

I have cleaned built the directory, I have removed the Derived Data, but this always gets thrown.

It was working fine a few months ago, I have only just got back to working on it.

The other issue I am havving, when I set to archive the app, I set the target as Any iOS Arm Device (arm64), but when it is archiving it switches to my iPhone as the target. I don't prompt it to do this, it just does it.

This is very frustrating.

I'm using a MacBook Air M1, with a macOS Sonoma.

I updated my Xcode the other day, that's Version 15.4 (15F31d).

My App has a minimum target of iOS 15 and a project target of Xcode 13.

Any help is appreciated.

Answered by DTS Engineer in 789421022

One of the files in your project must have a resource fork attached to it. Please check the following reference:

Technical Q&A QA1940 Code signing fails with error 'resource fork, Finder information, or similar detritus not allowed' https://developer.apple.com/library/archive/qa/qa1940/_index.html#//apple_ref/doc/uid/DTS40017555

One of the files in your project must have a resource fork attached to it. Please check the following reference:

Technical Q&A QA1940 Code signing fails with error 'resource fork, Finder information, or similar detritus not allowed' https://developer.apple.com/library/archive/qa/qa1940/_index.html#//apple_ref/doc/uid/DTS40017555

Thanks for your reply, but unfortunately, it doesn't seem to do the job.

The error in full that I am getting this evening is:

CodeSign /Users/user/Documents/GitHub/MyApp/MyApp/DerivedData/MyApp/Build/Intermediates.noindex/ArchiveIntermediates/MyApp/InstallationBuildProductsLocation/Applications/MyApp.app (in target 'MyApp' from project 'MyApp')
    cd /Users/user/Documents/GitHub/MyApp/MyApp

Signing Identity:     "Apple Development: My Name (REDACTED)"
    Provisioning Profile: "iOS Team Provisioning Profile: REDACTED"
                          (REDACTED)

/usr/bin/codesign --force --sign {REDACTED} --entitlements /Users/user/Documents/GitHub/MyApp/MyApp/DerivedData/MyApp/Build/Intermediates.noindex/ArchiveIntermediates/MyApp/IntermediateBuildFilesPath/MyApp.build/Release-iphoneos/MyApp.build/MyApp.app.xcent --generate-entitlement-der /Users/user/Documents/GitHub/MyApp/MyApp/DerivedData/MyApp/Build/Intermediates.noindex/ArchiveIntermediates/MyApp/InstallationBuildProductsLocation/Applications/MyApp.app

/Users/user/Documents/GitHub/MyApp/MyApp/DerivedData/MyApp/Build/Intermediates.noindex/ArchiveIntermediates/MyApp/InstallationBuildProductsLocation/Applications/MyApp.app: resource fork, Finder information, or similar detritus not allowed

When I run:

xattr -lr MyApp.app

I get the following output:

MyApp.app/Base.lproj/Main.storyboardc: com.apple.FinderInfo: 
MyApp.app/Base.lproj/Main.storyboardc: com.apple.fileprovider.fpfs#P: 
MyApp.app/Base.lproj/LaunchScreen.storyboardc: com.apple.FinderInfo: 
MyApp.app/Base.lproj/LaunchScreen.storyboardc: com.apple.fileprovider.fpfs#P: 
MyApp.app: com.apple.FinderInfo: 
MyApp.app: com.apple.fileprovider.fpfs#P:

When I run:

xattr -cr MyApp.app

It does something, but I am still presented with the same error.

Now to complicate things, even though I get the same error, the Applications directory isn't being generated.

I can't understand why there would be forks in the StoryBoards, I do have some RSS feeds and links out.

You'll have to clean your files before building and signing your app, not after.

I have tried everything suggested from the post by DTS engineer, but I still can't get it working.

I am now getting something slightly different:

I suggest you submit a code-level support request so that I can take a look at your Xcode project, view your signing logs, etc. Once I have that information, we can continue the discussion here in the forums. When you create the request, indicate that you were referred by someone at Apple and make sure to include a link to this thread.

Q