Are the playgrounds working for anyone on the latest update? Interaction is broken.

The Swift playgrounds are not working for me on the latest update of Xcode and MacOS. Since the entire scholarship revolves around the playground working on the latest version of Xcode this is very concerning to me. The interaction does not seem to be working for me. If you would like the see more about this issue I posted a question on StackOverflow ( http://stackoverflow.com/questions/43058238/swift-playgrounds-arent-acting-correctly-after-xcode-update ).

Are the playgrounds working for anyone else? As you can see from the link the interaction is not working. Can anyone run that code and see if it works?

Accepted Reply

Thanks everybody for the information about this issue. Because of you all we were able to identify the issue and have a workaround. See the post I just made here: https://forums.developer.apple.com/thread/74999

Note, if Playground interactions are working normally for you, then you do not need to apply this workaround.

The judges will by default use Xcode 8.3, but if you have any issues with Xcode 8.3 and want the judges to use Xcode 8.2.1 instead, please state that in the submission comments.

Replies

Same is happeneing to me! What an awful thing to happen at the start of the scholarship application!

Yes same thing is happening to me. I have posted my possible solution to you stack overflow

Did your solution work for you? It didn't work form me

Same with me. I have been running the Xcode 8.3 beta and it didn't work so I programmed most of my scholarship application using 8.2.1. I assumed that it was just a bug and Apple might fix it in the final release. Howver, this bug still isn't fixed. Restarting, Clearing Cache, or completly reinstalling Xcode does not help at all. Apple should fix this in the next couple of hours because this is the final week and many developers are starting to wrap up their project.

I'm trying to find out what's going on here. Will post when I know more.

Several folks here have tried reproducing this and haven't been able to. I tried with the playground from the SO post included in the first post here, as well as a version of Newton's cradle. Both worked for me with the GM 8.3 version and macOS 10.12.4.

If anybody is seeing this, please file a bug report at https://bugreport.apple.com and post the bug number here so that we can investigate further. It'd be helpful to get a sysdiagnose (do "sudo sysdiagnose Xcode" in Terminal) along with the bug report so we can get more details about your configuration.

import SpriteKit
import PlaygroundSupport
class GameScene: SKScene {

override init(size: CGSize) {
        print("innit")
        super.init(size: size)
    }

required init?(coder aDecoder: NSCoder) {
        fatalError("init(coder:) has not been implemented")
    }

override func touchesBegan(_ touches: Set<UITouch>, with event: UIEvent?) {
        print("hi")
    }

}
let frame = CGRect(x: 0, y: 0, width: 600, height: 600)
let view = SKView(frame: frame)
let scene = GameScene(size: frame.size)
view.presentScene(scene)
PlaygroundPage.current.liveView = view

This code does not print "hi" on xcode playgrounds running xcode Version 8.3 (8E162). Works perfectly fine on the playgrounds app on iPad.

EDIT: I installed 8.3 fresh this afternoon.

It does for me. Just to be clear, you are showing the Timeline and interacting with the view in there, right?

Yeah I am intereacting via the timeline. Am I supposed to run it another way?

Using the Timeline is the right way. Please get a bug report with a sysdiagnose attached so that we can look into this further.

EDIT: I should clarify, using the Timeline view in the Assistant Editor (as opposed to the small Timeline you get if you check the Show Timeline in the document attributes inspector). I suspect we're talking about the same thing, but just to eliminate any potential confusion...

Done. Bug report number:

Thanks for the help

Works from time to time for me.

Just like others here I programmed most of my playground in 8.2.1 instead of the beta of 8.3.

I am wondering if we can test our code in Xcode 8.2.1 and submit that because Xcode 8.3 seems to work for Apple staff.

That seems the best option. You could probably add a little note when writing your responses how 8.3 didn't work for you

>I am wondering

See this thread:

Warnings after Xcode update. Should I resubmit my application?