How do you stop logging in the console from disappearing after a few seconds?

I want to observe/capture logging from my iPhone app when its not running via Xcode. However when using either the Mac's console app, or the console functionality within Apple Configurator, after about 2 or 3 seconds the logging disappears off the console. How can it be prevented from doing so?

Replies

I just tried it and cannot reproduce the issue that Console.app stops showing logs. It continue to stream them for me. The oldest ones scroll out at the top of the window once the windows content area fills up. But you can just scroll to them again, so I assume that's not the issue you are seeing?

An alternative to using Console.app is using Instruments.app.

1. Launch Instruments
  2. Select "Logging" template from the template chooser.
  3. Select your target device and maybe a target app (or "All Processes") from the target chooser.
  4. Click the record button.

Instruments should show you a lot of the same logs that Console.app showed you, but also grouped by subsystem.

• Thanks for the reply.

The issue I'm facing when doing this is that the old logs scroll out at the top of the window even though the window content isn't filling up, i.e. suppose the app runs and logs to the window, then the app pauses for a few seconds and doesn't do anything to generate new logs, then the previous logging scrolls out at the top until an empty log window is all that remains, then its not possible to scroll up to view them, they're gone.

I'll give Instruments a try.

• @Developer Tools Engineer Is there a way within Instruments to filter the logging by a string? For example suppose my app logs as "X:A:nnn" and an app extension logs as "X:B:mmm", is there a way to filter the logs so it displays any log line containing "X:"?

Add a Comment