App regularly getting rejected and then approved after appeal

Hi all,

my mac app uses the "com.apple.security.temporary-exception.apple-events" entitlement. Originally the process was that one is allowed to use such an entitlement as long as one filed a bug to request a scripting target that would allow one to move away from it.

Now, my app has been approved for years with that entitlement, but every 5th time or so I submit an update, my app gets rejected because I allegedly shouldn't use that entitlement. I then ask for clarification, repeating the statement about why i am using it, and then the app gets silently approved.

Is there a better way to handle this? It is super annoying that every couple of updates I get this random delay and have to dispute stuff just to get my update through. The note for the entitlement already describes why I am using it, but it seems that some reviewers just ignore it and then, upon me repeating that note, the app gets approved...

I would also be fine getting an official statement that Apple doesn't support my use of the entitlement anymore and I could communicate to my customers that this is why the feature will disappear in the app store version, but since my updates eventually get approved, the issue seems to be with the particular reviewer... Any ideas how to fix this?

Thank you.

Replies

Unfortunately Apple's App Review process is usually done by staff in a hurry which means they might miss things like the fact that you already have versions live on the App Store with these features. They might just look at the app you've submitted and not compare it to what's already live on the App Store. Right now I doubt there's much to do about this unfortunately. I'm just curious: do you just explain to Apple in the chat or do you have to go trough the process of filling out the appeal form, and how long does it usually take for them to approve your app after you've submitted your appeal?

• Usually it takes around a week and this time I first used the chat but then, after not getting a response in 24h, filled out the appeal form. I wasn't sure if the appeal form is really needed, but since it was an urgent update I didn't want to wait longer only to find out the form was needed.

• Just had another case... But this time I only needed to reply in chat and within an hour they continued the review, so at least it was resolved quickly. Still a bit annoying seeing how only 3 months have passed since the last issue :'(

Add a Comment