Inquiry and Feedback on Captive Portal Google Authentication in iOS, macOS, and iPadOS

Hello Apple Developer Community,

I have been investigating the challenges with captive portal authentication on Apple devices, particularly regarding Google's OAuth 2.0 authorization in embedded WebViews and the resulting disallowed_useragent error. For Wi-Fi networks providing a captive portal with a 'Sign in with Google' option, reconnecting to the network after forgetting it triggers the portal page. However, attempting to sign in with Google results in an error. Additionally, on macOS Sonoma 14.1.1, clicking the Google Authenticate button elicits no response.

I recently discovered that this issue has been resolved in an iPad Pro updated to iOS 17.1.1. However, I've also tested with an iPhone 7 running iOS 15.4.1 and found that the issue persists on this version.

Could you provide information on which versions of iOS, macOS, and iPadOS have addressed this issue? It would be immensely helpful for developers and users to know from which version onwards this fix has been implemented, ensuring a consistent and secure experience across Apple platforms.

Thank you for your assistance and looking forward to your response.

Post not yet marked as solved Up vote post of jeffreyc Down vote post of jeffreyc