How to access custom Mesh buffers inside a custom ShaderGraphMaterial?

My app is built using SceneKit/Metal on iOS, iPadOS, and tvOS, and users have generated tons of content. To bring that content to visionOS with fidelity, I have to port a particle emitter system.

I have been able to successfully re-use my Metal code via CompsitorServices, but I'd like to get it working in RealityKit for all the UX/UI affordances it can provide.

To that end, I have also been successful in getting the particle geometry data rendering via a Component/System that replaces mesh geometry content in real time.

The last major step is to find a way to color and texture each particle via a ShaderGraphMaterial.

Like any good particle emitter system, particle colors can change and vary over time. In Metal, the shader look like this:

fragment half4
CocosFragmentFunctionDefaultTextureColor(const CocosFragData in [[stage_in]],
                                         texture2d<half> cc_MainTexture [[texture(0)]],
                                         sampler cc_MainTextureSampler [[sampler(0)]])
{
	return in.color * cc_MainTexture.sample(cc_MainTextureSampler, in.texCoord);
}

Basically I multiply a texture sample with a vertex color. Fairly simple stuff in GL shader-speak.

So, how do I achieve this via ShaderGraphMaterial? In another post, I see that I can pass in vertex colors via a custom mesh buffer like so:

let vertexColor: MeshBuffers.Semantic = MeshBuffers.custom("vertexColor", type: SIMD4<Float>.self)
let meshResource = MeshDescriptor()
meshResource[vertexColor] = ...

Unfortunately, that doesn't appear to work for me. I'm sure I missed a step, but what I really want/need is a way to access this custom buffer from inside a ShaderGraphMaterial and multiply it against a sample of the texture.

How? Any pointers, or sample code, or sample Reality Composer Pro project would be most appreciated!

Post not yet marked as solved Up vote post of deeje Down vote post of deeje
  • I've submitted feedback #FB13428615

Add a Comment