Texas Sales and Use Tax for Sellers

I sell an app on the app store.

In Texas we have to file a sales and use tax report every quarter. From what I have read, Apple collects sales tax and remits it to the proper states on our behalf. Is this correct?

If this is correct, then do I report $0 sales tax to the state of Texas since Apple already collected and remitted the sales tax?

Accepted Reply

No, Apple sells apps on the App Store. You only sell your app to Apple, wholesale.

I don't know much about how this all works in Texas, but I believe you should probably start by thinking about it in those terms: you are making a business-to-business sale to Apple Inc, not a business-to-consumer sale to John Doe.

In any case, Apple don't tell you what states the end-users live in. So anything that you consider doing which requires you to divide up the end users by state must be wrong.

Replies

No, Apple sells apps on the App Store. You only sell your app to Apple, wholesale.

I don't know much about how this all works in Texas, but I believe you should probably start by thinking about it in those terms: you are making a business-to-business sale to Apple Inc, not a business-to-consumer sale to John Doe.

In any case, Apple don't tell you what states the end-users live in. So anything that you consider doing which requires you to divide up the end users by state must be wrong.