Watch app doesn't receive location updates on watchOS 10 beta

Since the iOS 17 beta 6 update, my SwiftUI-based watch app, which serves as a companion to the phone app, no longer receives any location updates. Even though the permissions are set to 'When In Use' on the phone, the CLLocation delegate returns the following error every time the app requests a location update:

Error Domain=kCLErrorDomain Code=1 "(null)" - The operation couldn’t be completed. (kCLErrorDomain error 1.)

Additionally, the SwiftUI map does not display the user's location, indicating that the issue is not related to my CLLocationManager implementation on the watch.

While debugging on the watch, I observed that the service acknowledges the permissions as granted. On the phone, my location is displayed accurately. On watchOS 9.6, the same watch app receives location updates as expected. Furthermore, other apps on the watch receive location updates accurately, even on watchOS 10 beta. This issue is not isolated to my device; my colleagues have experienced the same problem with the TestFlight build.

I suspect that there may be an issue with my project configuration, although I am unsure why this was not a problem before the watchOS 10 beta. Currently, I am attempting to resolve the issue using:

• Xcode 15.0 beta 8 (15A5229m)
  • watchOS 10 21R5349b
  • iOS 17 21A5326a

It is important to note that the issue is also present in watchOS 10 21R5355a.

I am working on a new app in iOS 17.2 on my iPhone. The location privacy settings for "always", "when running" and "description" all all in place. However, the settings for location access permissions only reveals "Never" and "When I share" as options. This seems to be where there is a problem. Another App I worked on before iOS17, but did change to use the beta, shows all 4 selections and I can move it to "always", and then my location appears in that app.

My Apple Watch updated to Beta 2 this night and it seems the problem is back! Have you noticed this too?

I am still experiencing this issue with the latest Beta.

I'm getting 1 star reviews which is very annoying.

Watch app doesn't receive location updates on watchOS 10 beta

Q