MacOS Sonoma Beta 5+: Permission Denied Error When Calling saveToPreferences(completionHandler:)

Hello, we are currently getting a permission denied error when calling NEVPNManager saveToPreferences(completionHandler:) on MacOS Sonoma Beta 5 and up only. This seems to be an issue only on an M1 machine, but works fine on Intel and M2 machines.

We haven't made any changes on our end and it was working on all machines on MacOS Sonoma Beta 3 and below.

After upgrading to MacOS Sonoma Beta 5 and up, attempting to call the function results in the permission denied error. We have also verified that the app has the 'Personal VPN' capability.

The exact error we are getting is the following:

Domain=NEVPNErrorDomain Code=5 "permission denied" UserInfo={NSLocalizedDescription=permission denied}

I checked the release notes, but couldn't find anything specific to this issue.

Has anyone experienced something similar and/or have any suggestions for any fixes? Thanks in advanced!

Replies

Honestly, this sounds like a bug. But, before I send you down that path…

Is this an App Store app? Or are you shipping independently, using Developer ID signing?

Share and Enjoy

Quinn “The Eskimo!” @ Developer Technical Support @ Apple
let myEmail = "eskimo" + "1" + "@" + "apple.com"

• Hi @eskimo thanks for the reply. We are shipping it independently and it is not an App Store app. We haven't had an issue before MacOS Sonoma Beta 5 release regarding this so I suspect it is a bug.

• Hi @eskimo, another follow-up as well, I've filed a bug report with tracking ID FB13094115 (Permission Denied Error When Calling saveToPreferences(completionHandler:)). Thanks so much!

• Hi @eskimo, just following up, we have a new log entry today from the Console that states the following: >> Saving configuration APP with existing signature (null) APP cannot create new configurations because it is only app group entitled <<

Do you have any suggestions as to what might be causing this? We've ensured to add the Personal VPN entitlement as well. Lastly, this was working before MacOS Sonoma Beta 5. This is still an issue for us for the RC as well.

Thanks so much.