Screen Flickering after macOS Sonoma beta update.

Good Evening community. I wanted to share the issue I started facing after updating my MacBook Pro 2020 to the macOS Sonoma beta version. I used my Mac all day long and suddenly in the evening vertical lines started appearing on my screen. This got worse day by day. I visited the apple service centre but the simply told me that my display had the issue and it will cost around $4000.

I contacted Apple support who helped me out by suggesting me to remove the beta version. So I erased my Mac completely and reinstalled macOS Ventura. Now the screen flickers, but not continuously. It happens about once in 5minutes.

The apple diagnostic test of my Mac also says "No issues Found",with the reference code ADP000. So I don't think its my screen that has any fault because there is no accidental damage.

Can anyone help me over this issue, about fixing the screen flickering issue permanently?

Post not yet marked as solved Up vote post of MadhurV Down vote post of MadhurV
4.0k views

Replies

I have the same problem, but it started after the official release. My monitor, which is an external LG monitor, flickered. Then I turned the refresh rate down and it was better for a week. And now it happens at any rate. I've had this monitor for years with no problems.

• I have the same issue. Also LG monitors (have to outboard monitors). Never had issue before.

Add a Comment

I have the same problem, but it started after the official release. My monitor, which is an external LG monitor, flickered. Then I turned the refresh rate down and it was better for a week. After last night's security update it happens at any rate. I've had this monitor for years with no problems.

+1. So sorry I "upgraded" to Sonoma, external monitor continuously flickers once a minute, causing a minor headache now after 2 hours of living through this.

Duplicate color profiles.

On 2023-10-17, after upgrading to Sonoma on Mac mini with M1 chip, I, too, had screen flickering. I deleted the duplicate files in ~/Library/ColorSync/Profiles/ and the problem ceased.

See this link:

• +1, just upgraded and on 2019 Intel i7 Macbook Pro. External monitor connected through thunderbolt dock + displayport to a DELL monitor. Turns black for 2-3 seconds multiple times per minute.

• @richardh9935 Thank you! This fixed my issue. In my case I didn't have the ~/Library/ColorSync directory. Going into `System Settings > Displays > Click your troubled external display > Colour Profile > Select and Delete Duplicate with '-' button (in my case I had two named DELL U2419H)

• There is no ColorSync folder in my home directory, but I found in the root /Library/ColorSync/Profiles/Displays and deleted all profiles. Sadly, no luck, monitor is flashes a few time per minute... Started after upgrade to Sonoma! @Apple, fix it please! For those money macbook costs...

+1 the same. It mostly happens when I turn on after sleep.

Similar issue. Early versions of Ventura had a screen flicker issue for external monitors connected through a dock, but this was resolved after about the second update. Sonoma seems to have picked up where this left off. Two monitors connected, one through HDMI directly through an adaptor to a thunderbolt port, the second through a dock (also connected through a thunderbolt port) and then to a Display port. Display port monitor flickers on about a 1 minute cycle whereas the HDMI display is stable. Changing refresh rates makes no difference but bypassing the dock seems to correct the problem. Checked the colour sync directory and have about 100 duplicate colour profiles, but can't delete any as suggested by other users (no ~/library/ColorSync directory). The dock is very useful as it runs my peripherals and supplies power. Seems this issue is not uncommon.

I also have this issue - I was on Ventura when it started, after a few years of using an LG external monitor with my MBP M1 early 2020. I upgraded to Sonomo 14.1.1 and it's drastically reduced, but still flickering very occasionally. I have just tried the advice above - to delete duplicate colour profiles (I had a lot of LG duplicates and also Color LCD duplicates). Will report back if it works! I really hope so as I also took it to the Apple store and they said it needs a new screen for £600. Doesn't make any sense as it's a well looked after machine.

Came back to say my laptop is 100% fixed with no screen issues at all. Saved me so much money!! Thank you @richardh9935

Solution is to delete all the duplicate colour profiles from ~/Library/ColorSync/Profiles/

• Back again, 1 month later to say that the flickering is back and now deleting duplicate colour profiles does nothing. The flickering is constant. I'm going to try downgrading to Ventura.

Add a Comment

I am facing the secondary monitor flickering, I tried removing the duplicate color profiles and tried switching to each profile. it is still the same. I think Apple needs to fix the display driver, as it looks like the Display is not able to sync with the external display screen refresh rate. I am connecting to a DELL doc and HDMI to DELL monitor

I have the same issue, but it only happens after I log in from the locked screen. It's really annoying, and I have to restart the system to fix it.

I also got screen flickering issue after I upgraded my I mac mini m2 (2023) pro to sonoma. Samsung is way better than Iphone (I have Samsung Galaxy S21 Ultra and I phone Pro Max 2013), and this box + 2 PC laptops and one PC desktop - PC is superior to I mac Mini as well, it seems.

Hello,

deleting Display profile helped me yesterday. But today I have again display flickering and speakers on my monitor are not recognised.

I use Macbook pro M2 and Thunderbolt 27 display, with Thunderbolt - USB C adapter.

Everything was working fine with previous OS version. All problems appeared after update to Sonoma. Any ideas how to fix that? No matter how many times I delete the additional profile from /Library/ColorSync/Profiles/Displays it keeps reappearing.

I always see two profiles: Thunderbolt Display-6F67D588-AC00-4997-8252-D4BADF2E2BC9 Color LCD-37D8832A-2D66-02CA-B9F7-8F30A301B230

I deleted the second one. Is there a way how to delete it permanently?

Thanks

Has anyone downgraded to Ventura to try and resolve? Does that fix it?

• I did downgrade to Ventura last year (2023) and it resolved the issue. Now about 6 months later, I am checking to see if the screen flickering issue with Sonoma has been resolved.

Add a Comment

I have the same problem since I upgraded my MacBook Pro 2019 from Ventura to Sonoma (company policy...). On my Laptop's retina screen the colours are mostly wrong and the the screen flickers. An external screen is mostly ok.

If the retina screen shows wrong colours, moving the lid of my MacBook changes the colours and flickers the screen even more. This did not happen before the Sonoma upgrade, so I don't think it is necessarily a hardware failure. Does anybody else have the same symptoms?

Deleting the duplicate profiles helps a short time, but the duplicates always get re-created -> goes wrong again.