Xcode 15 beta 5 missing cascade property option in @Relationship(.cascade) error.

The compiler is raising the following error for @Relationship(.cascade, inverse: ...) with the message Type 'PropertyOptions' has no member 'cascade' Is there a replacement for this property option, or is the cascade behaviour implied internally by default?

Accepted Reply

My bad @availablemacOS >= 14

Replies

My bad @availablemacOS >= 14

@MobileTen how did you solve this? I'm experiencing the same thing in Beta 6, and I don't have macOS as a build target at all. Only iOS 17. I still get the error about .cascade not being a PropertyOptions member.

If i remove the .cascade option i get this error instead: Variable 'self._$backingData' used before being initialized. Project worked fine in Beta 5.

I managed to get my project to build, i had to change to things:

Change from: @Relationship(.cascade, inverse: \VesselLocation.anchorLocation) to @Relationship(deleteRule: .cascade, inverse: \VesselLocation.anchorLocation)

Documentation of the new deleteRule: https://developer.apple.com/documentation/swiftdata/schema/relationship/deleterule-swift.enum

And i had to remove any default values from my model attributes. I had this:

@Model
final class Foo {
    var bar: Bool = true

But that fails in Beta 6, but if you leave it empty it works:

@Model
final class Foo {
    var bar: Bool
  • I had the same issue with Xcode 15 beta 6 and adding the deleteRule: before .cascade + removing the default value fixed it. This should be the accepted answer!

• I had to make everything optional because of CloudKit

Add a Comment

15 beta 6 has the same. I'm starting learning from some recent tutorials and hit the same error. @Relationship(.cascade) "Type 'PropertyOptions' has no member 'cascade'" Thanks!

For the cascade issue you can add deleteRule: in front of it.

The issue regarding Variable 'self._$backingData' used before being initialized is something different. You are right, removing the default value fixes the compile time error but breaks automatic CloudKit sync (FB12905731).

• What do you mean by it will break, how so? (just interested because im facing some issues with the self._$backingData issue)

• I get a run time error on every launch stating CloudKit requires all properties to have default values or being optional. Optionals aren't really possible for me because it would mean I have to unwrap all properties on every call.

• I had the same problem, I was forced to basically force unwrap everywhere because I knew those properties were never going to be nil

Add a Comment

I had the same problem with the broken CloudKit sync. I solved it by changing code like var bar: Bool = true to var bar: Bool!. However, now you have to make sure that a value is set in the constructors. So not really the best solution from my point of view. But it seems to work at least.

It seems that you can make all of the variables optional where they are declared in the @Model class (eg var variable: String?), and then use nil coalescing to unwrap when the properties are called (?? ""), but then you get a compile time error when you call the parameter from @Bindable in the View using a binding. The below will not compile, even with the ?? "".

struct egView: View {
	@Bindable var VM: ViewModel

var body: some View {

ButtonStruct(Variable: $VM.variable ?? ""	) 

}

Performing nil coalescing in the ButtonStruct doesnt seem to work either, so I am stumped.

The .cascade option is still missing in Beta 8 (target VisionOS)