Xcode 15 beta does not show iOS 17 beta device

I installed Xcode 15 beta 3 (Xcode_15_beta_3) and the iOS 17 runtime (iOS_17_beta_3_Simulator_Runtime).

I am able to build and run in the Simulator (iOS 17) and on my physical iPhone 14 Pro running iOS 16.5.1 (20F75).

But when I connect my physical iPhone 12 Pro running iOS 17.0 (21A5277h) it doesn't show in Xcode Devices and Simulator.

What could be the problem?

I already tried restarting Xcode, the Mac and the iPhone. Plugging to a different usb-c port.

Accepted Reply

Hi @yonic.surny.bnp , are you using any VPN client? We've also the same issue, and this thread https://developer.apple.com/forums/thread/732366 led us to identifying that Cisco AnyConnect VPN client is the issue here.

Replies

Hey,

Did you check the beta OS you have on your phone is supported by XCode Beta version you got on your mac?

Also, did you enable "Developer mode" in the device settings of iPhone?

Note: For devices running iOS 16.4 or later, go to Settings > General > Software Update > Beta Updates and choose the Developer beta to install this software. Before testing your software on your device, make sure to enable Developer Mode in Settings > Privacy & Security.

Hi @efficientalgorithm, thanks for your feedback.

Where can I check which versions of iOS 17 beta is supported by a particular version of Xcode 15 beta?

I looked at https://developer.apple.com/documentation/xcode-release-notes/xcode-15-release-notes and https://developer.apple.com/documentation/ios-ipados-release-notes/ios-ipados-17-release-notes but didn't see any support matrix or version numbers mentioned.

I do have "Developer mode" enabled.

I see that Xcode 15 beta 4 is now available, I'll download it and check again.

I tried with the new Xcode 15.0 beta 4 (15A5195m) version but still can't see my phone.

I also update the phone to the new iOS 17.0 beta (21A5277j).

Restarted, disabled and re-enabled Developer mode, ...

I'm having the same issue. Is your Mac perhaps managed through MDM? Cisco, JAMF, any such thing that a corporate would typically influence?

Add a Comment

Hi @yonic.surny.bnp , are you using any VPN client? We've also the same issue, and this thread https://developer.apple.com/forums/thread/732366 led us to identifying that Cisco AnyConnect VPN client is the issue here.

Yes, @patras, it is exactly that. I use Cisco AnyConnect VPN on a managed Mac. I didn't seen that thread earlier.

I’ve run into the same issue. However, I don’t believe that the VPN connection is to blame here. It’s rather that Xcode always tries to connect to the device via network and not via USB, even when the device is connected with a cable to the Mac. The “Connect via network” option is checked by default and connect be unchecked:

So this clearly is an issue in Xcode, although I’m not sure if that’s intentional or not. If it is, it’ll severely hinder our ability to debug. The app we’re developing connects to hardware via Wi-Fi. So as soon as the iPhone/iPad used to debug connects to our hardware it’ll leave the network that the Mac used for debugging is on, severing the connection to Xcode. That will leave us unable to debug.

• THIS. This is making my life miserable trying to develop offline app functionality.

• I have the same issue (Xcode 15 beta 7). It's annoying to the extend that even though USB cable is connected, but WiFi is disabled, it won't even connect.

• This issue is infuriating. You're 100% correct that this is the source of the problem, the VPN isn't to blame.

For reference, using my iOS 16.6 device, with the Xcode 15 (b7), I am able to uncheck that box and run with VPN on. On iOS 17 device, the box is stuck being checked.

Add a Comment

Sharing that I ran into the same issue, using IVPN on both devices, my Mac and iPhone. @patras's answer seems to have fixed it for me!

I had to turn off the VPN on both iPhone and Mac in order for the device to properly register via USB, which seems odd to me since there's a direct connection.

Also experiencing this issue, but just disconnecting from VPN isn't a good solution for us as we need to be on it to access vital information for work. I submitted a feedback report (FB13194927) but it was marked as "Works as currently designed". This worked in Xcode 14, it doesn't work in Xcode 15. I don't see how Apple can put that on the VPN vendors. AnyConnect isn't the only one with the problem, we may be switching to FortiClient and but I've seen others complain of the same issue with that VPN client as well.

To give an update here, we have investigated the issue within our organisation and the results are the following:

• Issue is not related to VPN itself, but to rules applied by our organization (IPv6 is blocked)
  • Disconnecting VPN does not solve the issue because my organizaqtion also impose a Firewall when VPN is disconnected which is also blocking connection
  • The "bug" is know at Cisco side (tracked with https://bst.cisco.com/bugsearch/bug/CSCwf98780)
    • Workaround provided is to either: use and older version of Xcode or configure IPv6 tunneling to split exclude, with the local IPv6 addresses (FE80::/8) and the unique IPv6 local addresses (FD00:/8) among the tunnel exclusions
    • The change of rules is currently under investigation at my origanization but so far I'm still blocked from using Xcode 15. with iOS 17 devices

I encountered the same error and was able to fix it after spending days on it. To show the destination mobile, you need to be connected to an open network and not be connected to any VPN client.

I could now see my iPhone connected and when I tried to run the app, I was getting an error message

"Previous preparation error: The developer disk image could not be mounted on this device.. You don’t have permission to save the file “857A0094-E1076-3219-8287-B381FFECF183B” in the folder “CoreDevice_DDI_Staging_501”.

An error occurred while accessing/creating the folder CoreDevice_DDI_Staging_501, preventing the app from running

Follow these steps to resolve this error

• Open folder /private/var/tmp
  • Create folder named CoreDevice_DDI_Staging_501 manually by using finder options
  • Launch Xcode (version 15+) clean build and run the project.

As a result of following the above steps, I was able to fix the error and run/debug the application with Xcode and iOS 17.0.