#Preview macro can’t find member which is added via an extension

For my app I use a struct for my CoreData persistence controller like so:

struct PersistenceController {
  static var shared = PersistenceController()

// more code omitted for brevity
}

As a development asset I made an extension to the PersistenceController to provide a special instance for previews with some sample data.

extension PersistenceController {

static var preview: PersistenceController = {
    let result = PersistenceController(inMemory: true)

// create some sample data

return result
  }()
}

Now I want to use the special preview instance with the new #Preview macro in Xcode beta 2. The deployment target for the app is set to iOS 17.

#Preview {
  var context = PersistenceController.preview.container.viewContext

return SpanList()
    .preferredColorScheme(.light)
    .environment(\.managedObjectContext, context)
}

But the preview fails to build due to the following error: Type 'PersistenceController' has no member 'preview'.

My experiments show that everything I add to the PersistenceController via an extension is not available in the preview macro. This is no matter where I place the extension. Even when it’s placed in the same file as the PersistenceController itself.

Am I missing something or is this intended behaviour?

Accepted Reply

I believe this may be related to the issue defined in the release notes.

#Preview can’t reference symbols in Swift type extensions when they are defined in the same module as the Preview (110671628)

Workaround: Revert to using PreviewProvider, or copy the implementation of the extension directly in to the #Preview itself or make it a global symbol

• Thanks for the hint. Sounds reasonable. Funny thing is that even the original Apple sample code wouldn’t work.

Add a Comment

Replies

I believe this may be related to the issue defined in the release notes.

#Preview can’t reference symbols in Swift type extensions when they are defined in the same module as the Preview (110671628)

Workaround: Revert to using PreviewProvider, or copy the implementation of the extension directly in to the #Preview itself or make it a global symbol

• Thanks for the hint. Sounds reasonable. Funny thing is that even the original Apple sample code wouldn’t work.

Add a Comment