Metal rendering only in fully immersive VR?

I’m trying to make a pass-through experience where there is an emissive/glow-y/bloom-y object. Everything I’ve tried and researched so far, it looks like that won’t be possible with RealityKit rendering and I’ll have to use Unity with its URP. But will it be possible to use that renderer while still having pass-through video to ground the experience in the real world? Or is that only possible with fully immersive experiences?

if there’s a completely different approach that is better, I’m willing and wanting to learn.

Thank you in advance!

-Dan

Post not yet marked as solved Up vote post of danieljones Down vote post of danieljones

Replies

I had a similar question and asked this during a WWDC Lab. Essentially, the answer was that only applications running in the full space could directly display Metal content. However, RealityKit allows custom materials with Metal, similar to Unity URP, which may suit your needs. While not applicable to this context, you can also indirectly display Metal Content thru ARKit Custom Views, if needed.