iPadOS 17 "Could not locate device support files"

On XCode 14.3.1, downloading support files for iPadOS 17, fails with message:

**Could not locate device support files

You may be able to resolve the issue by installing the latest version of Xcode from the Mac App Store or developer.apple.com.

[missing string: 869a8e318f07f3e2f42e11d435502286094f76de]**

on XCode 15.0 beta (15A5160n), iPad does not show up.

Have rebooted Mac, iPad, Settings > Clear Trusted Computers => no iPad in XCode 15 => missing support files message on XCode 14.3.1

Am stuck. How to get unstuck quickly?

Post not yet marked as solved Up vote post of Muse Down vote post of Muse
21k views
  • Posted solution is not the solution. See, below.

Add a Comment

Accepted Reply

Getting the required device support files for a specific iOS version is essential for Xcode to recognize and work with the corresponding devices. If you're encountering difficulties downloading the support files or not seeing the iPad device in Xcode, here are some steps you can try to resolve the issue:

Update Xcode: Make sure you have the latest version of Xcode installed. Visit the Mac App Store or the Apple Developer website to check for any available updates. Updating Xcode can often resolve compatibility issues with newer iOS versions.

Install Additional Components: Launch Xcode and navigate to "Preferences" from the "Xcode" menu. In the "Preferences" window, go to the "Components" tab and check if there are any available components or updates. Install any relevant components, especially those related to iPadOS 17 or the specific iOS version you're targeting.

Manually Install Device Support Files: If Xcode fails to download the required device support files automatically, you can try manually installing them. Search online for the specific device support files for iPadOS 17 and download them from a reliable source. Once downloaded, extract the files and copy them to the appropriate location within Xcode.app. Typically, you can find the folder at the following path: /Applications/Xcode.app/Contents/Developer/Platforms/iPhoneOS.platform/DeviceSupport/.

Use Xcode 15.0 Beta: Since you mentioned that Xcode 15.0 beta doesn't show the iPad device, it might be a compatibility issue with the beta version. In that case, consider reverting to a stable release of Xcode (e.g., Xcode 14.4) that supports the iOS and iPadOS versions you need. This ensures better stability and compatibility for your development work.

Reset Trust Settings: On your iPad, go to "Settings" > "General" > "Reset" > "Reset Location & Privacy." This will reset the trusted computers list on your iPad. Then reconnect your iPad to your Mac and check if it appears in Xcode.

If none of the above steps resolve the issue, it may be worth considering a more comprehensive troubleshooting approach. This could include uninstalling and reinstalling Xcode, restarting both your Mac and iPad, and ensuring that your Mac meets the system requirements for the Xcode version you're using.

If you continue to face difficulties, you may also want to consult the Apple Developer Forums or reach out to Apple Developer Support for further assistance.

• Where do you find the "Preferences" menu or the "Components" tab? I do not see them in XCode 14.3.1 The XCode menu has a "Settings" section, but I do not see "Preferences" or "Components" there.

Add a Comment

Replies

Getting the required device support files for a specific iOS version is essential for Xcode to recognize and work with the corresponding devices. If you're encountering difficulties downloading the support files or not seeing the iPad device in Xcode, here are some steps you can try to resolve the issue:

Update Xcode: Make sure you have the latest version of Xcode installed. Visit the Mac App Store or the Apple Developer website to check for any available updates. Updating Xcode can often resolve compatibility issues with newer iOS versions.

Install Additional Components: Launch Xcode and navigate to "Preferences" from the "Xcode" menu. In the "Preferences" window, go to the "Components" tab and check if there are any available components or updates. Install any relevant components, especially those related to iPadOS 17 or the specific iOS version you're targeting.

Manually Install Device Support Files: If Xcode fails to download the required device support files automatically, you can try manually installing them. Search online for the specific device support files for iPadOS 17 and download them from a reliable source. Once downloaded, extract the files and copy them to the appropriate location within Xcode.app. Typically, you can find the folder at the following path: /Applications/Xcode.app/Contents/Developer/Platforms/iPhoneOS.platform/DeviceSupport/.

Use Xcode 15.0 Beta: Since you mentioned that Xcode 15.0 beta doesn't show the iPad device, it might be a compatibility issue with the beta version. In that case, consider reverting to a stable release of Xcode (e.g., Xcode 14.4) that supports the iOS and iPadOS versions you need. This ensures better stability and compatibility for your development work.

Reset Trust Settings: On your iPad, go to "Settings" > "General" > "Reset" > "Reset Location & Privacy." This will reset the trusted computers list on your iPad. Then reconnect your iPad to your Mac and check if it appears in Xcode.

If none of the above steps resolve the issue, it may be worth considering a more comprehensive troubleshooting approach. This could include uninstalling and reinstalling Xcode, restarting both your Mac and iPad, and ensuring that your Mac meets the system requirements for the Xcode version you're using.

If you continue to face difficulties, you may also want to consult the Apple Developer Forums or reach out to Apple Developer Support for further assistance.

• Where do you find the "Preferences" menu or the "Components" tab? I do not see them in XCode 14.3.1 The XCode menu has a "Settings" section, but I do not see "Preferences" or "Components" there.

Add a Comment

@royascuder, thanks for the reply. Took me a while to realize that the red text was source code highlighting, here are the steps:

1. Current Xcode version from AppStore? Yes; XCode 14.3.1, plus current MacOS from AppStore
  2. Install any relevant Components? Failed; this is the stated problem
  3. Manually support Device files? Not available, iPadOS 17 not on the usual GitHub repo.
  4. Use Xcode 15.0 Beta? Failed; does not appear in Devices Windows (XCode > Window > Devices & Simulator)
  5. Reset Trust Settings on iPad / Trust this Computer? Yes. Shows up in XCode 14.3.1, but not XCode 15.0
  6. Switch USB C Ports (as per another Thread)? Yes. No changes
  7. Reboot? Yes, all devices, and restarted 14.3.1 with 15.0 running in extensions
  8. Minimum Mac requirements? Yes; MBP M1 Max
  9. Reinstall XCode? Yes for 15, not yet for 14.3.1, which would be painful.
  10. Clear derived Data? Yes.

Several betas ago, a similar device update issue was resolved automatically, perhaps a server issue?

I am developing specifically for iPad Pro's Pencil + Camera + Midi input. So, Simulator is not an option.

Since 2019, I've gone Digital Nomad; am in Bali. Before then, I had every single Apple iDevice since original iPhone, iPad, Watch etc. But, going nomadic means relying on a minimal setup. This is a common use case. Have met dozens of developers like me, here.

For Indonesia, you have to register devices over $600. Many of us here are on long term single entry visas. Flying to Singapore to buy a redundant iPad to fix a problem that will probably be resolved in a few days if not weeks is problematic. Expect a lost week of development. Plus, you have to restart the immigration hassle. For digital nomads, redundant devices is problematic. Again, this is a common use case. Perhaps, Apple should adjust.

Is this my problem or Apple's problem? Kinda both.

Apple's Problem: The Device Support File issue seems to reoccur for initial betas. My Problem: I usually wait until after the first Beta update. Oops!

Am going all-in on VisionOS. I suspect that iPadOS 17 will be essential.

So, how to get Device Support of iPadOS 17 beta? Or, worst case: revert back to iPadOS 16?

• TL;DR - erase hard drive. Reset won't work. Will revert production (non-beta) over internet.

Upgrade to MacOS 14 overrides MacOS 13.4 on internal hard drive. So, reset will clear out everything and start from the internal MacOS 14 install image. Apple support suggest swapping out hard drive. But, in Bali, that would take two weeks or a flight to Singapore.

So, we experimented with erasing the hard drive. At that point, the workflow reverted to MacOS 13.4 install from internet Success!

• Sorry, TL;DR was for another post about recovering from MacOS 14 install interdiction. Please disregard.

Add a Comment

Fixed by using

. MacOS 13.4.1

. Xcode 15 beta 2

. iPadOS 17 Beta 2

Post not yet marked as solved Up vote reply of Muse Down vote reply of Muse

Hey I've been awake all night trying to fix this, I am missing the exact same string! I'v uninstalled, reinstalled, etc, etc... is it possible to just share the file with me, or I need to do the whole shebang?

• Can't share files. Are you using XCode 15 beta? Starting working after Beta 2. Now on Beta 5.

Add a Comment

I’m having same issue after installing iOS 17 on my iPhone 14 pro I know can’t use it in augnented reality development.Im going learning ARKit for the vision pro hopefully it’s fixed soon I’m running out of time and quite frankly if I keep getting issues meta quest 3 is looking pretty good with there spatial awarenes.

I'm having same issue after installing iOS 17.1(21B77) maybe still beta version on my iPhone 15.

Fixed by using

• MacOS Sonoma 14.0
  • Xcode 14.3.1 (14E300c)

Got the same error, and it was because of version incompatibilities between my iPhone, MacOS version and XCode version. Before I had:

macOS 13.4.1 XCode 14.3.1 iPhone 14 Pro, iOS 17.1.2

However, you must update to XCode 15+ in order to work with iOS 17+, but in order to do that, you need to upgrade macOS also. So now I am doing: macOS 14.2.1 XCode 15.1 iPhone 14 Pro, iOS 17.1.2 (no change)