Xcode 15 Overheating M2

When using Xcode's Preview or Simulator, I noticed that my M2 Air will overheat. This hasn't happened before in Ventura or Xcode 14.

Post not yet marked as solved Up vote post of lawgimenez Down vote post of lawgimenez
5.2k views
  • Same on my new M2 Macbook Air 13". The bottom middle of the laptop gets very hot and the battery starts draining very quickly.

• exactly the same for me: battery dropping way to fast, overheating problem (M2 Pro Macbook 14.2")

Add a Comment

Replies

Same experience on my M2 Max

Me too. MacBook Air, M1.

Using a Simulator running iOS 16.4, seems to fix the issue on my MacBook Air M1.

• Thank you for this! My Macbook Pro M2 was running hot when ever I opened the simulator, changing the iOS to version 16.4 is keeping me well under 45 C.

• Thank you, the issue with battery drain and overheating has been fixed with the iOS downgrade to version 16. We are looking forward to updates from Apple)

• Thank you!! this seems to fix the issue.. I have checked the Activity monitor for power spikes , dignosticd and a few more process won't show up at top anymore. I hope the Devs fix this soon....

Still experiencing the overheat issue on m2 Air with the Xcode 15 Appstore release.

Are they not testing it before release? It's nuts. Now I need to downgrade my whole OS because of course Xcode 14 doesn't even work on Sonoma

Same issue here, Macbook Pro M2 Pro

Same issue here, Macbook Pro M2 Pro 16 inch

Experiencing the same. Macbook Air M1

Same issue Air M2

Same issue with my MacBook Air M1, it was fine with Mac OS Ventura and Xcode 15, but as soon I upgraded to Mac OS Sonomai started facing the issue. The system is pretty much unusable as soon I launch the simulator, using an Android emulator for now until they fix this in the next update. If anyone knows any fix please mention.

Same for me

Same here. MacBook Air M1.

When will Apple release a fix for this issue.?? The only workaround is to change the simulator to iOS 16.4. Even after that for the first few seconds of running the simulator weird activities shoot the CPU up in Activity manager...

Same problem here. MacBook Air M2 16 GB. There's a significant difference in RAM pressure emulating iOS 17 too, compared to 16.4.

Same issue here, Macbook Pro M2. macOS: Sonoma