PWA PUSH NOTIFICATION ISSUES IOS 16.4+

Hello Everyone!

After push notifications were enabled we got to work on this feature. for our PWA.

The problem that we are having is that they work great for a little bit and then they suddenly stop working. We thought it was our problem but after doing some research I found that many other developers are having this same issue.

Push notifications work perfectly on Android but don't reach ios users.

Is anyone else having the same issue? Can something be done to fix this?

Thanks!!

Post not yet marked as solved Up vote post of Juanmdq Down vote post of Juanmdq
5.2k views
  • Make sure you use event.waitUntil() in the service worker when you handle the push notification

Add a Comment

Replies

I'm having the same problem

Hopefully apple will look at it and fix it!

What exactly is your problem? Is your notification permission window showing up, or are you just not getting notifications?

My problem is that it works without minification, but when minified, it gives this error [Info] Content blocker prevented frame displaying https://mysite.html from loading a resource from https://mysite/code.min.js (index.html, line 11)

Have the same issue, this is work for few weeks and then stop working. Very expensive bug for me.

And quick way to reproduce this (I hope this is the same) bug:

1. clear cache and data in safari settings
  2. send push and wait
  3. see nothing
  4. open the pwa
  5. see your notification

Did it work in ipad?

it is pretty troublesome to me either.

thing is, for me it happens completely random.

the webpush endpoint created expires in a week or two, and it just disappears from the downloaded pwa out of nowhere without any signs.

then i have to register again, then whole new endpoint is given, as if it almost never been registered before.

from March i experienced this bug for 10 + times and no clue why it occurs

My pwa push notifications work perfectly using web-push with nodejs on windows and android devices using chrome. On mac's using chrome it doesn't work and it doesn't work on iphones either. Is there anything special I have to do to get it to work on iOS?

Hi folks, i made ot to work for PWA but the only problem is that I cannot navigate to link when clicking notification, if I pass absolute URL it opens new safari tab but If I pass relative link it opens just app. any idea?

Same issue here. It stops working randomly and I have to delete the app from the home screen, clear cache and re-do the subscription process all over again to get it working. Please fix.

We are also having the same problem. We receive 3 or 4 notifications and then they suddenly stop arriving. There is not reason for this, and it doesn't happen in the App Store version or in Android... only in the iOS PWA.

Does anyone know if Apple is aware of this and is working on a fix? Has anyone filed a bug report with them?

I seem to be having this problem also. When I get a PushSubscription in Chrome, Edge, or Firefox (on a desktop computer), it seems to work fine. But when I try it on an iPhone or iPad (running iOS/iPadOS 17, so it should be supported), the PushSubscription will work for a bit, and then the subscription will somehow be lost. So notifications stop coming in, and the user has to register for anther PushSubscription.

I wish I knew why this happens and how I can fix it.

We are having the same issue and it’s very frustrating. I wish someone from Apple would at least acknowledge the issue.

I am using FCM and facing the same problem the user initially starts receiving notifications after 3-4 notifications even if the user does nothing and just leaves the PWA open, the user stops receiving notifications foreground and background. On further debugging, I found out that the FCM device token gets changed. Don't know why?