WeatherKit API: Getting random [503] Service Unavailable and [504] Gateway Time-out errors

Apple,

Ya'll forced us off DarkSky today in favor of Apple WeatherKit. This is a not a very good introduction because our web applications are currently not displaying current weather conditions. When I dig into it I see random [503] Service Unavailable and [504] Gateway Time-out errors. Sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't. DarkSky never had an issue like this for years.

It's looking like WeatherKit is having a problem even though your system status page seems to think everything is normal. https://developer.apple.com/system-status/.

How do I know if I am being blocked or rate limited? I'd expect to see 429 response codes if this were the case.

Answered by pgutekunst87 in 750432022

Following up here.. it's been looking much better now! Thank you and I will post any issues in the future.

Same here. It's a shame that they took such a great product and ruined it in less than 2 years. As of today my app is not working. Same API calls in postman take over 10 seconds and some only giving errors. Shameful.

Same thing here with my app: ww.trackster.us

Truly R.I.P. Dark Sky, how long until another startup just says f*** it and makes a vastly better weather api so apple gets beat again???

We are also experiencing a high number of timeouts today. As weather app developers our livelihoods are dependent on the accuracy and reliability of our weather apps, which was in great hands with Dark Sky. We mistakenly assumed that Weather Kit would be a seamless replacement.

Accepted Answer

Following up here.. it's been looking much better now! Thank you and I will post any issues in the future.

WeatherKit API: Getting random [503] Service Unavailable and [504] Gateway Time-out errors

Q