Video not working on 16.4 simulator

I'm testing a video stream (HLS) with AVPlayer. On XCode 14.3 and simulators running iOS 16.4, there is no video image, only black screen. The audio is playing normally, also progress/duration of the video is showing as expected. The problem does not occur on same XCode version with earlier versions of the simulator. Is this a simulator bug? I've also tested it on real device with iOS 16.4 - no problem there.

• Bumping this. Same issue. Same configs.

• Same issue

Xcode 13.4.1. Simulator can show image and all others but video, videoplayer.

Add a Comment

Replies

I have a 1on1 WWDC lab session scheduled @ 2PM PT today with a member of the XCode team, and hope to get us all participating in this thread more clarity on the issue. Will report back here later today.

Hi all! Has anyone filed a FeedBack issue for this problem yet that you could reference here? If not, could someone please file one now, using Feedback Assistant? It would be best if you could attach a simple repro project that demonstrates the problem, and capture the results of a xcrun simctl diagnose after reproducing. TIA!

• Had a productive conversation via a 1on1 WWDC Lab session earlier today. Thank you to both Apple team members who were in the lab session. As per the team's request, I've filed a bug report (FB12264845) via Feedback-Assistant (mostly just a recap of this forum thread). Hopefully this helps us get closer to resolving this hls/m3u8 video issue (and/or getting a definitive answer, e.g. the previous DRM response shouldn't be an issue with simply playing back a file we have the copyright to stream).

• Thanks so much, @joro1 ! I've forwarded this on to the right folks. :)

• I don't get it. I filed a Feedback issue in March, with a simple little program that demonstrates the bug. They asked for additional files, I sent them, never heard from them again?

(And here's what was filed with Feedback-Assistant ID# FB12264845)

Xcode 14.3 and Simulator 16.4 HLS/m3u8 video playback issue

Please see the following thread: https://developer.apple.com/forums/thread/727288?login=true&page=1&r_s_legacy=true#754122022

This BUG REPORT is in response to a conversation earlier via WWDC Lab ID 7873788389, i.e. reporting the bug described in the above forum feed, and as follows:

HLS video is no longer playing beginning with XCode 14.3 and in Simulator 16.4. I've isolated example code below. Note that .mp4 video plays fine, however HLS/m3u8 video does not (stream loads but only audio plays). This bug is only in the Simulator (16.4); i.e. on device (and in previous Simulators) m3u8 video plays fine. Please see the forum thread for more details and other developer reports. Thank you.

Example code:

/* Supporting includes, variables, etc.
#import <AVFoundation/AVFoundation.h>
#import <AVKit/AVKit.h>
@property (nonatomic, strong) AVPlayer *player;
@property (nonatomic, strong) AVPlayerViewController *playerViewController; */

// Initialize AVPlayer
// .mp4; note mp4 plays fine, i.e. video appears.
//NSURL *videoURL = [NSURL URLWithString:@"https://commondatastorage.googleapis.com/gtv-videos-bucket/sample/BigBuckBunny.mp4"];
// m3u8; note HLS/m3u8 VIDEO DOESN'T APPEAR, however file "successfully" loads and e.g. audio plays.
NSURL *videoURL = [NSURL URLWithString:@"https://bitdash-a.akamaihd.net/content/sintel/hls/playlist.m3u8"];
self.player = [AVPlayer playerWithURL:videoURL];

// Initialize AVPlayerViewController
self.playerViewController = [[AVPlayerViewController alloc] init];
self.playerViewController.player = self.player;
self.playerViewController.view.frame = self.view.bounds;
[self.view addSubview:self.playerViewController.view];

// Play the video
[self.player play];

Same problem here:

• Xcode 14.3.1
  • on tvOS 16.4 in simulator only sound, no video
  • on tvOS 16.1 in simulator everything works fine

I got another answer on my feedback assistant (FB12136006) asking me to verify this issue with Xcode 15 beta. Has anyone tested this in Xcode 15 beta?

• Quick test with Xcode 15 beta and Simulator 17, and indeed this issue appears to be fixed. Will run a few more tests to confirm later today and report back here, but for now the issue seems to be resolved, at least in the current Xcode 15 beta release.

Add a Comment

Confirmed after testing on my side, the HLS / m3u8 video (not appearing) bug described in this thread is fixed and longer an issue with Xcode 15 beta and Simulator 17. Thank you, Apple Developer Tools team.