App Store Rejection Due To Being Unable To Get Data From Firebase

Hello! Please could we get some guidance on how to handle this situation.

We have developed an app which uses Firebase as its backend. This is only Firebase Remote Config for some basic text and feature roll outs, and Firebase Storage for the content of the app. Both sets of data are incredibly small.

When the app is in the App Store Review process, the data is not being delivered to the app for the reviewer, and the app states the user needs to retry their network request after a 10 second time out.

However, we are completely unable to recreate this issue. We've used real devices, simulators, different iOS versions, and a range of networking speeds and this proves to be completely fine for all users. However, it happens for the reviewers. We have tested the app fully on the exact same device and iOS as the reviewers.

This has lead to the app being rejected due to:

Guideline 2.1 - Performance - App Completeness**

We discovered one or more bugs in your app. Specifically, we were still unable to access the app. Please review the details below and complete the next steps.

We have read on a few other forums that people have seen similar issues where Apple cannot download data in the app, with people suggesting it is caused by an Apple Firewall.

We are confident the app is in a stable position. We are starting to get increasing pressure on getting this version released, and as a very small studio, this has the potential to ruin partnerships which will have a major knock on impact.

We're unsure what else to do. Any advice would be great!

Thanks you!

Answered by xjyribro in 751610022

I was in contact with Google support. They recently updated me that they resolved the issue with Apple reviewers. I had my app approved with no change to my existing code. Hope it helps someone!

I had a similar problems and i figured it out that the reviewer might have turned off / doesnt have internet connection (as network indicator in the app bar was not shown on the screenshots) or has network configuration issues. The way how firebase sdk mitigates these network outages when using firestore database and storage can result in this “resources stalling” kind of user experience. At least thats how we could reproduce the problem. Anyhow its because the device its tested on doesn’t have proper network connection as opposed to the hundreds of testers who did not report any problems with our application.

I finally got my two apps approved, they both required an initial fetch from Firebase Storage. I don't know if Apple has resolved the issue, or they actually tested on a cellular connection, as i requested they do, if they encountered any issue. I also referred to this thread in the reviewer notes.

I have the same issue. Any solution found? Apple rejected my app many times because of this issue

Hi everyone, Firebaser here! We are aware that some Firebase Storage users have had their apps rejected by Apple and we are working with Apple to help resolve the issue.

Have the same issue and 3 rejection from reviewer, when we're pretty sure that app is working as expected. Some context: App fetching config from Firebase Storage, and we're using us-central at Firebase Settings. We were tested it on real devices, simulators, with WiFi off/on, and had no issues.

Is there any solution, or how can I describe to the reviewer team, that problem is at their side?

Just wanted to share my experience here. I had the same problem with my app being rejected 4 times.

On my final attempt, I asked the reviewer to review once more using cellular network referencing the replies on this thread regarding potential issues Firebase (Mine uses Auth, Storage and Realtime DB) may be facing with Apple's internal Wi-Fi. Reviewer replied and asked for a screen recording of the app working and showing the features of the app (Though they did cite that I wasn't able to provide access to the app rather than being a problem on their end)

I replied with the video and about half an hour later, app went into review again then shortly after it was accepted and approved. Huzzah! I suspect they are aware of the issue and are being more flexible with the matter for now. All I can say now is, don't give up, talk to the reviewer and you'll get there – Good luck everyone!

Hi I'm also still facing this issue. Anyone managed to find a solution?

I got it approved in the 3rd attempt. I requested them to use cellular data and provided link of this thread. It was approved in 30 minutes. The log showed a successful access at that time. So it is likely that the reviewer switched to another network.

I went back and forth with them for weeks but it looks like linking this forum did it finally. Have had a few submission go through since then.

Accepted Answer

I was in contact with Google support. They recently updated me that they resolved the issue with Apple reviewers. I had my app approved with no change to my existing code. Hope it helps someone!

App Store Rejection Due To Being Unable To Get Data From Firebase

Q