Environment Texturing – Reflection Probe Management

Hello,

I've done a couple tests and noticed that when I run an ARKit Session with for example a world- or geo-tracking configuration which has environment texturing set to either .manual or .automatic and I walk around with the device for an extended distance there is a pretty noticeable increase in memory usage. I'm not implying that it's a leak but it seems like the system creates lots and lots of environment probes and does not remove older ones.

An example: This is a barebones Xcode RealityKit starter project that spawns a couple cubes with an ARGeoTracking configuration. After ~7mins of walking around (roughly a distance of 100-200 meters) it uses an additional 300MBs of RAM.

I've seen cases where users walked around for a while and the app eventually crashed because of this. When environment texturing is disabled RAM usage pretty much stays the same, no matter how far I walk.

Is there a recommended way on how to handle this? Should I remove probes manually after a while or eventually disable environment texturing altogether at some point (will that preserve the current cube map)?

I would appreciate any guidance.

With the Xcode example project you can easily recreate the issue by modifying it just a little and then walk around for a while with statistics enabled.

class ViewController: UIViewController {
    @IBOutlet var arView: ARView!

override func viewDidLoad() {
        super.viewDidLoad()

arView.automaticallyConfigureSession = false
    }

override func viewDidAppear(_ animated: Bool) {
        super.viewDidAppear(animated)

let config = ARWorldTrackingConfiguration()
        config.environmentTexturing = .manual
        arView.session.run(config)

// Load the "Box" scene from the "Experience" Reality File
        let boxAnchor = try! Experience.loadBox()

// Add the box anchor to the scene
        arView.scene.anchors.append(boxAnchor)
    }
}
Environment Texturing – Reflection Probe Management

Q