10.12.4 beta 1 Verifying files (XprotectService)?

Since installing 10.12.4 beta 1, I'm seeing long delays opening files, which seem to be caused by the XprotectService scanning files on open. Files that used to open immediately are now taking minutes(!) to open, with the "Verifying (file name)" dialogue parked in the middle of the screen. Seems to be particularly bad with large video files in .mkv format, although it's affecting other file types as well. While trying to open files, XprotectService is taking up 40% - 50% of available CPU time.

Anyone else seeing this, and is there a way to work around or completely disable Xprotect?

Replies

macdoc - you obviously are completely clueless!! even a small <1 gb video file can be 'verifying' for 5 minutes or more - after 10.12.4 beta 1 - and still in beta 2!

i got a request from apple to respond with logs for this issue, i told them no need - just go to open any video file using 10.12.4 beta 1 or 2 and youll see the 'verifying' problem for minutes at a time before the file, if ever, opens!

I had to restore from backup as the system was unusable on the beta. Every video file playback would result in long delays.

Does the latest beta resolve the issue?

no - latest beta 2 still not fixed.....apple closed bug report i filed due to it being a 'known issue'

10.12.4 beta 3 out - anyone get yet / test out the 'verifying' issue?

fixed in beta 3!!

Beta 3 fixed this issue for me also

Just received this email from Apple:

Engineering has implemented changes that are supposed to fix the problem you reported. These changes are in the latest version of the software available to you, macOS 10.12.4 Beta 5 (16E183b).

Feedback ID *******, 10.12.4 beta 1 Verifying files (XprotectService)