ARD will not work in 10.12.4

I get a "The Remote Desktop administrator software must be upgraded on this computer. Click “Check for Updates” to search for updated software." but no update is available.

**Edit**

Apple Remote Desktop 3.9 Admin beta build 382A81.dmg

There's a beta build available of 3.9 but I haven't tried it yet with 12.10.4

Replies

This does work on local networks, and it also allows a work around for remote (VPN) connections, which screen sharing doesn't work for. I screen shared with another local computer, not running 10.12.4, and opened Remote desktop on it. Established a VPN connection on that computer, and I can now use Remote Desktop truly remotely, which is how I use it 99% of the time, until Apple fixes this bug.

BTW, I also called support to report this, and since it was a beta version, they wanted nothing to do with it, and suggested reverting to 10.12.3 via a time capsule back, which is not an option considering the volume of work that would have to be re-done since the update. I guess the only thing to do is cobb along until it is fixed, hopefully soon.

Thanks, This worked for me, too.

Same here.

I'm in the same position. Name's aren't showing up for me.

So I fiddled a bit and this *does* work if you go to Preferences --> Security and check the box for "less secure".

The problem with that is that you then have to *restart* ARD Admin -- then things will (very slowly) refresh to show the Current User. My problem was assuming that just checking that box would work with a "refresh" without restarting ARD Admin.

I'm now seeing Current User having done that. I had to refresh my list a couple of times, though, before everybody showed Current User (as initially only about 25% were showing the user and the reset "Needs Upgrade" -- so it's not lightning fast to update everything. But it's functional now.