XCode 14 Beta 5 Energy Consumption Issues may Potentially Damage MacBook screens.

I think the recently released Xcode beta 5 has energy consumption issues that need to be solved urgently as it may damage MacBook screens.

When running the most recent beta 5 version for Xcode, my M1 MacBook pro 16" loses approx 1% battery per minute and becomes uncomfortably hot on my lap.

Battery drain & heat seems to continue even when laptop lid is closed (and disconnected from any display to avoid clamshell mode); I really have to shut the laptop down or explicitly close xCode before closing laptop lid.

I think this is an urgent issue, as I already once had screen damage (orange burn in) to my previous MacBook Pro after having closed the lid before going to sleep only to discover the next morning Xcode had continued to cook my MacBook the whole night.

Best - Julius

Answered by emesa in 724033022

This problem was also present in beta 4 and I had to downgrade to beta 3 for the same reason.

Did you use Instruments to see what is causing this ?

You should signal the issue in a bug report.

Accepted Answer

This problem was also present in beta 4 and I had to downgrade to beta 3 for the same reason.

Thanks, I didn't know there was a dedicated bug reporting portal. I filed a bug report there & I will also be downgrading.

I have the same problem in beta 5.

The issue affects my programming experience a lot. Too hot.

me too. MBP16 got crazy hot.

Same here, downloading Xcode 14 beta 3 right now to see if the issues persists. Just got a new MacBook 14 inch, and battery life with xcode 14 beta 5 is 2-3 hours max.

Super hot all the time, but it's only when using xcode.

I have the same issue too, The battery drain very very fast and I can't use it without the power cable! Actually, this issue was from the first beta and it didn't fix till now, My device is MBP 16" M1 Pro, and I think there is something wrong apple needs to fix it asap.

Here is a workaround that works great for me so far:

https://blog.nihongo-app.com/stop-xcode-14-beta-from-pegging-cpu/

XCode 14 Beta 5 Energy Consumption Issues may Potentially Damage MacBook screens.

Q