General > Login Items > Allow in Background (User visible item names) in Ventura

In the latest beta of Ventura (and perhaps earlier versions) there is a section of the System Settings > General > Login Items pane called "Allow in Background".

It appears that helpers (LaunchAgents/LaunchDaemons) that are installed by apps are listed here.

As you can see in the screenshot below, I have 3 such items installed on my test system. The per User LaunchAgent for the Google Updater, the WireShark LaunchDaemon for the ChmodBPF script, and the LaunchDaemon for my userspace CoreAudio Driver (labelled "Metric Halo Distribution, Inc.").

The WireShark and Google Updater have nice user identifiable names associated with them, whereas my Launch Daemon only has my company name associated with it.

I don't see anything in the plists for Wireshark or GoogleUpdater that seem to specify this user-visible string, nor in the bundles the plists point to.

How do I go about annotating my LaunchDaemon plist or the helper tool's plist so that the string in this pane helps the user properly identify what this Background item is for so that they don't accidentally turn it off and disable the driver they need to use our audio hardware?

Obviously, we will document this, but just as obviously users don't always read the docs, and it would be better if the user just could make the immediate association that this Background item is needed for our CoreAudio driver.

Post not yet marked as solved Up vote post of bjb Down vote post of bjb
1.6k views
  • We are also looking for the same information to display the proper user-visible string for the application.

• Did you find a solution? According to the docs one would have to add the AssociatedBundleIdentifiers key to the .plist with the bundle identifier. However, this does not seem to be enough. It still does not show up correctly. The docs also mention a call to LSRegisterURL may be necessary, but that's still unclear to me.

Add a Comment

Replies

We are also facing same kind of problems. Is it possible to avoid listing our app in this login items? Or can we get some notification in case if user switched this button off so that we can ask user to be sure before doing this and its consequences?

• Yes, we're going through this as well. Unfortunately, in our case we don't even get the amount of formatting that bjb is reporting. Our login items show up as "unidentified developer".

Add a Comment