Ventura beta 4 fails to update to beta 5

Ventura Beta 4 is not updating to Beta 5 on a Mac Studio booting Ventura from an external Thunderbolt SSD. Previous updates worked. It gets to the first black loader screen with white progress bar, but reboots after 30 seconds. Tried several times. Any ideas?

Post not yet marked as solved Up vote post of HStriepe Down vote post of HStriepe
2.8k views
  • I have the same issue with the same config

Add a Comment

Replies

Hypothesis: I noted on going back to booting Monterey that the security policy had ALWAYS been set back to defaults on the Monterey System disk. I normally keep it in relaxed security to enable Developer Signed Extensions. This leads me to believe the installer sets the main disk security policy for install instead of the target disk. I might try disabling all security on that disk and attempt to update,

Same behavior here on an M1 Mac mini w/Ventura Beta 4 failing to upgrade to Ventura Beta 5 on an external Thunderbolt SSD. Great thought on the security policy—I'm turning off FileVault on the external drive here too. (3 hour estimate—will report back.)

Save your time. File Encryption turned off, security reduced to the minimum. Same behavior. Will try switching to the public beta later today.

It’s looking promising on my machine after turning off FileVault. Previously, installation would stop after 30 seconds and return me to the login window of beta 4. I’m now looking at an installation progress bar with a “10 minutes remaining” prompt.

• Most of the time when it says it's going to reboot, it just does a regular reboot and is back up in about a minute, still on beta 4. However about every 5th (or so) time the reboot indicates the install is occurring and it takes 15+ min. But then still on beta 4...

Add a Comment

No dice—still stuck on beta 4. I’ll update if I have any success.

Are all of us having the issue using an external drive?

Same upgrade from ßeta 4 to ßeta 5 issue here on a M1 Mac mini external TB SSD drive. Even trying to update the external TB SSD using the full ßeta 5 installer from my internal SSD ended in failure. I guess unless Apple releases an updated ßeta 5 installer we can only hope the issue is fixed in ßeta 6. I did submit a Feedback report.

I have a Mac Studio with Ventura Beta 4 on an external Thunderbolt SSD. It will not update to Beta 5.

I tried about 20 times. Removed the beta proline and put it back

• Typo. I have removed the Beta profile / rebooted / reinstalled beta profile. Still have the same issue

Add a Comment

I'm stuck at beta 3 - it didn't upgrade to 4 and now it's not upgrading to 5. MacBook Air M1, external Samsung boot drive. Betas 1,2,3 installed no problem (SuperDuper! copy internal disk to external, boot from that, install beta).

Filed feedback, looks like a bug in the upgrader setting up the install volume.

any new news on this?

I have same problem on my M1 iMac. There was no such upgrade problem on my Intel iMac. I tried the upgrade from Beta 4 to Beta 5 many times. But I have never succeeded the upgrade on my M1 iMac.

Any update on the new Beta 6? I don't want to waste my time.

I have the same problem on a Macbook Air M1, on an external drive. I can't install version 5. Now I am giving feedback to Apple.

Since version seven of iOS has been released. I imagine beta six will be out soon.