Installing Xcode 14 beta 3 breaks Xcode 13 simulators?

After installing Xcode 14 beta 3, the iOS 15 simulators in my Xcode 13 install seem to have vanished. Adding new ones in the Devices and Simulators window does nothing. Deleting both Xcode installs and installing a fresh copy of Xcode 13.4.1 also didn't help.

Seems like I'm not alone:

https://twitter.com/mattkiazyk/status/1544761694341451776

https://twitter.com/bourvill/status/1544797153104625664

Anybody have ideas for how to fix?

Feedback filed: FB10570079

Accepted Reply

If you want to remove the beta and return to Xcode 13 only.

• Make sure you exit either Xcode 13 or 14.
  • Delete Xcode 14
  • Delete the directory /Library/Developer (you will have to sudo to remove it)
  • Restart Xcode 13. It will reinstall the components and you should be good to go.
  • You might have to reinstall the sims you want
  • Thank you! This was the only way that worked out for me...

• I couldn't even sudo rm -rf it for some reason - I assume system integrity getting in the way. Oddly, though, dragging it to the trash worked.

• I've tried this with the terminal command and dragging it to the trash. Neither are working for me.

Replies

same with me i cant even build my project anymore in xocde13, keep getting Encountered an error communicating with IBAgent-iOS, i tried removing xcode 14 but still am getting the error, tried rebooting etc.

• I'm seeing "Failure Reason: Failed to spawn AssetCatalogSimulatorAgent" now.

Add a Comment

If you want to remove the beta and return to Xcode 13 only.

• Make sure you exit either Xcode 13 or 14.
  • Delete Xcode 14
  • Delete the directory /Library/Developer (you will have to sudo to remove it)
  • Restart Xcode 13. It will reinstall the components and you should be good to go.
  • You might have to reinstall the sims you want
  • Thank you! This was the only way that worked out for me...

• I couldn't even sudo rm -rf it for some reason - I assume system integrity getting in the way. Oddly, though, dragging it to the trash worked.

• I've tried this with the terminal command and dragging it to the trash. Neither are working for me.

code-block

I found a solution to this problem, https://developer.apple.com/download/applications/, download this page Xcode13.4.1, after successful installation will automatically reset the Xcode environment, I have tried to succeed

It appears that this has been fixed with an updated build of Xcode 14.0 b3. From the release notes:

Fixed: After installing Xcode 14 beta 3, Xcode 13.3.1 and 13.4.1 no longer show their respective iOS Simulators. Relaunch Xcode 14 beta 3 and bring up the Platforms Preference pane. Afterwards, you can relaunch the older Xcode to get the correct Simulators. (96100752)

The original beta 3 build was version 14A5270e, but it appears the current one is 14A5270f.

• I don't see any difference between the xip files. Maybe it was just the release notes they updated?

shasum Xcode_14_beta_3.xip returns 362056ce1af2d64da154fd7d1f8b4633491147c6 on the one that failed and on the one I just downloaded a minute ago.

Add a Comment