Is it possible to check for cellular to get best GPS?

Hi all,

I'm working on an app which requires the most accurate AGPS available, so it requires a device with cellular capabilities even if the network is going over wifi, and even if the cellular modem is turned off.

The IP-based location services in a non-cellular device (like a wifi-only iPad or an iPod touch just isn't accurate enough for what I'm doing.

I know I can put that in the description in the app store, but I'm wondering if there's a way I can account for it in my code, too. Something like the user interface idiom or iOS version checks you can do, but instead specifically isCellularCapable or some such.

I just want it to be clear whenever someone fires up the app with an iPod touch or a non-cellular iPad that they're going to have a less-than-ideal experience.

I still remember when my kid's friend tried to do Pokemon Go with a non-cellular iPad tethered to my phone, and the device just couldn't figure out where it was supposed to be. I don't want people using my app to have the same experience.

Accepted Reply

Location isn’t really my field but I think the droid you’re looking for is the gps property in UIRequiredDeviceCapabilities.

Share and Enjoy

Quinn “The Eskimo!” @ Developer Technical Support @ Apple
let myEmail = "eskimo" + "1" + "@" + "apple.com"

Replies

Location isn’t really my field but I think the droid you’re looking for is the gps property in UIRequiredDeviceCapabilities.

Share and Enjoy

Quinn “The Eskimo!” @ Developer Technical Support @ Apple
let myEmail = "eskimo" + "1" + "@" + "apple.com"

I think that's what I was looking for. Will verify tonight! Muchas gracias!